Beginners and Beyond

Taking a Break (Read 109 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's been pretty difficult to get my mojo back with running, but this past week has been extremely difficult... so much so that I really don't give a shit if I run anymore, but it subdues so many of my demons, including my insecurities and pint up frustrations and it's a habit I don't want to break in fear of never starting again and not having anything to show or share with my son later :'( 

I ran 5 miles Tuesday, 8 miles Wednesday, nothing Thursday, 6 miles Friday and 5 miles Saturday. This morning was supposed to be 12 miles but after my garmin screwing up around mile 3 and going into powersave mode for .5 miles I just wanted to quit and go home... I was so frustrated and tired of all of it, tired of sucking at life but I pushed on. I managed 9.35 miles total and that was it. A total of 33.7 miles for this week.

While out there, I made a really/not really tough decision... I am not running the Land Between the Lakes marathon, I am not going to train for it - my first marathon took so much of me - body, mind and emotion that my son suffered from it and I can't do that again. At least not this soon after the first one, I'm going to register for the Monumental again and begin training in June but one marathon a year is good enough for the moment. I am still going to register and train for the back to back half marathons in April but the training won't be too much different than my usual half marathon training except for some long runs of 16-18 miles maybe.

Also, I won't be on here too often for a while so don't freak out. Along with everything else, DH thinks I've been spending too much time on forums and online instead of with my son and he might be right. I'll see ya'll occasionally. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Sorry your mojo has not come back. As to that, maybe sign up for a short race and train for it.  Either a HM or a 10K to keep you enthused?

We will be here when you are ready to come back.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I thought the LBL and the April back to backs would, but I think the whole situation with Dorian is what's bringing me down and once I get him on the right track (with help) I think my mojo will come back. I will try and pop in at least once a week to say hi Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

B-Plus

Hi FS. I totally get it. You just ran a marathon, and that sucks a lot out of you, not just physically but mentally as well. Maybe not so much the race, but more so the training. I just took 1.5 weeks off after a half marathon, and the point was more to let my brain recharge from the mindfuck of day-to-day training. I'm still only running in 40s now, and I'm enjoying just running casually for the time being.

I hope you figure out what you need to do and get some rest for your body and mind. It's great to just run whatever you feel like without any pressure of what your schedule says. Enjoy the downtime and come back (here and to running) when you're ready.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Free, hang in there.  Perhaps my story will help you.  I trained for 8 months in 2013 for the Philly marathon, got injured with my torn hamstring 3 weeks before the race.  That led to a 7 month period with no running, I mean none.  Here were the results:

Cons:  I gained about 10 lbs, but that was due to christmas cookies and BK whoppers, lol.  Seriously, my metabolism stayed high for about 3 weeks and then dropped off.  I didnt adjjust food calories.  I was out of shape (relative term since from running we are still better off than the obese). I got a bit stressed at times when not having those 90 min slow runs to let the world disappear.

Pros:  Once I ran again the weight dropped in about 30 days.  Second, all of my nagging injuries went away. The extended break healed the tendons and muscles.  Thirdly, I was able to spend time with family, work and church.  Did all of that with no regret as I was not balancing running with other activities.  Fourthly, the extended break allowed my DW to realize that running was important to ME and accept the time that I put into it.  Fifth, no spending on running gear for some time.  Sixth, when embarking on my MRT I was not stressed as I had no high expectations (and I killed my goal partly due to that).  Seventh, I had time to devote to PTO and parent/school stuff that was good for my son.

I continued to monitor these boards daily, but did not post as much as there was little running activity.  I thus stayed in touch with the community but at a distance.  Overall the 6 month break made a world of difference and now I am happier, a faster/better runner and looking forward to next year.  Take a long break without worry.  Soon you will be back and I hope happier.  Just when you come back, please stop by here as you will be missed.  GL in real life to you, Dorian and your DH.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks ya'll Smile

PRs

No more marathons

Free - running is something we do, not who we are.  Family is so much more.

If you don't run for awhile - no big deal.

Take it from one who took a 23 year break.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

MI_Tim

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I hear you FS.

The marathon + training is a serious drain; time, energy, focus.   What helps me is a training group that I am invested in, with out them I would probably think seriously of ditching out for a bit.

Currently I just ditch out on you all until I can get re-centered.

=)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Your regular presence here will be missed but you gotta do what you think is right for you, FreeSoul.  Hope everything works out the way you want it to and and you will find your mojo again  in no time.  You will be missed.   I'm sure we regulars will be here for you when you do post and if you ever need us for advice, to vent on something or whatever.  Wishing you all the best!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

FS- i bet it is a common occurence for runners who have a big debut race to drop off the map after. I also think that we have no idea when we undertake a big race, how much commitment, time and support it takes to train. Take a break and come back refreshed!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

StepbyStep-SH

FS - Do what you need to do for you and for your family. I'll be sending you good vibes for running and lots of hugs in helping find the right setting for your son. I've been there, done that, and will continue to for years.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

hog4life

I admire you! Take care, see ya around some time.

No worries, Free.  Take care of what's important, and run when you want and how you want.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better after making that decision on not doing the LBL (okay... not doing the training). I really don't know what I was thinking, starting my next training cycle for my 2nd marathon so soon after my first... what the fuck was I thinking???? My first two half marathons were a year apart damn it. I had no idea just how drained I was from the training until a couple weeks ago... right now the idea of getting up on Sundays for runs longer than 15 miles has me wondering what the fuck is wrong with me  lol, and really it was the pressure of the LBL marathon looming over me.

Half marathons are nothing for me to train for anymore while marathon training takes a lot of time and dedication and sacrifice from not only me but my husband and family - they need and deserve a break too lol.

I'm still running, I can get that out of the way early in the morning and then focus on my stubborn, bullheaded persistent, 31 lb mini me AND the business. I think my second biggest issue was spending so much time on the internet on running sites and forums and shit, it was distracting. I am running leisurely 6 days a week but I don't fret if I miss a day or two. Right now I just want to focus on getting back to a 40-45 miles/week average and maintain that for the next few months. Just give my body and mind a nice break until Juy 2015 when Project Monumental Redemption begins.

Did I mention just how stubborn and bullheaded this boy is, I mean my god I though I was stubborn and bullheaded but this boy outdoes me every time he doesn't feel like doing something lol.

Dorian has taken up drawing, and freaking loves it. Honestly I feel like an idiot, we had a dry erase board in the office hallway for a long time now and I would occasionally take him up to it (carrying him) with a marker and try to encourage him to mark it but he wouldn't,  he just wouldn't and I would give up thinking he just wasn't ready. Last Friday I tried it again while waiting for DH to get off the phone, and he did like he usually does so I put him on the filing desk in the hallway and waited on DH (we were getting ready to leave the shop) when it struck me upside the head to take the board down and place it right in front of him, I did and used a marker on it then handed it to him. He was in love with it, the "magic" he was creating and I realized that maybe it isn't him so much as it is me not trying to figure out HOW to get him to try new things because I am just trying to force him one way rather than placing it in front of him and letting him do it his way. From dry erase markers to crayons by Saturday afternoon, and he can't get enough of it.

PRs