Beginners and Beyond

We Remember 9-11 Thursday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

photo penguinflag_zpscea6c3c8.jpg

San Antonio is a huge military town - 4 military bases here, along with Brooks City Base (formerly Brooks Air Force Base) and Port San Antonio (formerly Kelly Air Force Base), thousands of active duty folks here, as well as retired military, contract civilians, DoD employees, etc.   Lots of ongoing ceremonies here in remembrance of those lost on 9-11.    This is one of those days, like the Kennedy assassination for those who were living back then, that everyone remembers where they were that day.   Where did you happen to be?   I was on the university campus where I work when I got the news..and everything pretty much stopped for the day as people watched all the reports coming in.

Woke up early today - about 3:45 a.m., couldn't get back to sleep, so heck with it.  Got up, drank some water for a bit, and then out the door at 4:15 am to 'cruise' in the local area around my house.  Planned on doing an easy 3, but felt pretty good once I got out there so ended up with 4.4 miles with a couple of hills thrown in along the way.  Glad I did my run/walk this morning...heat index of 106 degrees today in our area!

Docket_Rocket

I cannot see the picture, Scotty!

Morning.  I have Pilates, weights, and 5 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scotty and D.  Gym for me after work.  Running RD.

tracilynn

Nice run scotty

9/11 ...I was at home with my then 3yr old. My sister called and told me to turn on the news and I watched the 2nd plane hit live. It was so surreal and so sad. I remember crying and my 3 yr old saying, mommy why are you so sad? Why are you crying?   It was such an awful day.

Will do an easy 3 later at the gym.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I was living in Washington state during 9-11, so it all happened just as I was getting up for work.  We all went in and just sort of stared at each other numbly until they closed down PNNL around 11:00.  The understanding was that since we worked at Hanford, the site of plutonium purification for the atomic bombs, we were also a potential target.  Luckily they weren't targeting nuclear reactors.
              Chorus tonight, woo-hoo!!  I suspect we'll sing Armed Forces Medley with a bit more emotion than usual.

Docket -- have a good workout tonight!  Man, you're doing everything!

Jerryb -- have a good time at the gym!!

traci -- enjoy your easy 3 later!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Hope, it will be a miracle if I do it all!  Enjoy the chorus!

Traci, enjoy the 3.

Jerry, enjoy the gym!

I was at work (working for the water and sewer authority's communications department).  We had televisions all over the office.  We did no work that day.  Just watched in shock.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

One or two more days of rest and then I will be back at it. Like Scotty, I have some hot temps here. It will be triple digit heat for at least the nest several days. NOT FUN!

My parents are flying to Paris today for a month long vacation (from retirement Smile) and my mom is quite a bit nervous. I remember DW and I were in bed waking up and we had Howard Stern on the radio, back before he was on satellite.  Driving to work and listening to the news on the radio was surreal and it was tough to teach that day.  Today I am wearing my U.S. flag shirt and socks with plaid shorts. What a sight.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I cannot see the picture, Scotty!

Morning.  I have Pilates, weights, and 5 miles tonight.

Sorry, don't know how to fix that.   Anyone else not see the picture?  Damaris, It is a Penguin saluting an American Flag at half-mast.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's a big blank box for me also.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It's a big blank box for me also.

OK.  I uploaded the photo to my photo-bucket account and then recopied it from there.  Usually the photo-bucket photos do show up with no problem.  So hopefully everyone can see that copy.

Bin Running

Completed my daddy duty and my in-law are back from holiday. No running for 4 days with 2 kids occupying all my time. Fun to think back now.

9/11 is a awful event and I hope we will not get to experience something similar again.

Still on vacation today. Brought nephew and DS to swim. Still had some time to slot in a 7+4M double. :d

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

I can see it now, Scotty!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Scotty - good picture.  Sounds like you had a good run this a.m.  Is it supposed to cool off when the polar vortex descends?

Damaris - you're really being good about the pilates lately.  Does it help?

Jerry - have fun at the gym.

Tracilynn - enjoy your easy three later.

Hopesmom - have fun at rehearsal.

Jack - how is your body feeling after all the rest?  Have you been doing any therapy?

Bin - I hope you enjoyed your daddy time with the little ones.  Have a good swim.

AFM:  9/11 I was working at a lawfirm in downtown DC.  We heard the news and ran into my boss' office to watch TV and saw the towers fall.  It was horrifying. One of my co-workers was driving past the Pentagon when the plane hit there. She arrived late, and told us what she had seen.  Another friend's daughter was inside the Pentagon, and though she survived, she was horribly injured.  My BIL was just arriving for a meeting there when the plane hit.  He got lucky.   A friend sent me an email that more planes were headed toward DC - that was the plane that went down in PA - and nobody knew if it was true, but it seemed very likely. Being in Washington, we really felt like we were targets. They sent us home, but at first Metro was shut down, so I started to walk home (about 15 miles) but then someone on the street said the trains were running again so I got on.  I had called my husband before I left the office, so he sat at the Metro station with several hundred other cars waiting until the trains started arriving. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.  Unforgettable.

As for today, bad thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon, so I'll do a few easy miles on the TM and then go out with my husband for his birthday dinner.

From the Internet.

Hi pens

6 miles with a bit of fast running (4x2 minutes hard-ish, 2 minutes recovery, 2x strides before and after) to try out the Sayonaras. I was thinking they'd be better if the midfoot was a little bit wider when I tried them on yesterday and when I first put them on this morning but it wasn't noticeable at all while running. I think the roomy toebox makes up for the snug heel/midfoot fit. They made me want to go fast, I think we will get along just fine Smile