Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dystonia 5K at Runners Ranch (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 69th race of 2015, this was an evening race with a 5:30 start time; and the second of 2 races I did on Dec 19, 2015, having done a 5-mile race in the morning. Held at “Runner’s Ranch”, owned by the family that owns/operates iaapweb.com, one of the best local-area race companies that do race setup, timing, results, etc.   This race was done to support one of our popular local runners, Jason, in his fight against his disease, Dystonia. I won’t go into all the details of what Dystonia is – you can find a lot of info about it online – but suffice it to say this disease is a real pain in the neck – literally! – as this disease is a neurological movement disorder in which sustained muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal postures – and for Jason his affected area is the neck. The course was two loops around the trails on the ranch – and the trails are a kind of ‘sandy dirt” – not quite beach sand, but pretty close, and tough to run on. Between my 5-miler this morning and the sandy route, my legs were really feeling it – and on the 2nd loop so did my arthritic back, so I had to slow way down – and ended up with one of my slowest 5Ks ever. Of course, it probably didn’t help either that my klutz self also ran into a tree near the course, lol, when I was looking back to see how a friend behind me was coming along, and I kind of veered off the trail.   No harm done – good thing I have a very slow pace! – and I just had to laugh at myself. I told her later if my wife had seen me – since she very well knows how ‘klutzy” I am – I’ve run into a police horse, run right off the Riverwalk, run off a trail into a river, tripped over a sheep, etc – she’d be laughing her butt off. And she did, too, when I told her after I got home.   “Only you, my love” she said. “Only you.” Too true, lol. I ended up with a finish time of 41-something. My friend, Arturo, on the other hand, did the 10-mile race this morning at the event where I was, and he finished this 5K in something like 34 minutes…zowie! Must be nice to be young…I think I remember those days. It’s all good, though, I still managed to enjoy myself.

BEFORE THE START

After the 38-degree race this morning, the temp warmed up quite nicely and it was in the low 60s for this event. This ranch is out a ways from the city though – very ‘countrified” – with a lot of open land and there was a bit of a wind blowing – not much, but enough to make me a bit chilly – so I was glad I had worn a moisture-absorbing singlet underneath my running shirt to keep me a bit more comfortable. I arrived with about 40 minutes to go to the start time and got some pre-start photos.

Have headlamp...will run in the dark...yet still managed to run into a tree, lol

photo 013_zpsmqi26fpe.jpg

Welcome to Runner's Ranch - and some silent auction items as part of the fundraiser

photo 003_zpsxpt2fgbh.jpg

Some of the decorations around the ranch

photo 007_zpsitiypvwu.jpg

photo 009_zpspzkpdm8s.jpg

photo 014_zps6waulpjq.jpg

My friend Arturo - who did a 10 mile race earlier in the day - with Santa

photo 001_zpsogermzw1.jpg

photo 002_zpsjax3us9m.jpg

The lady in blue did the same 5-miler in the morning that I did.  She was a volunteer for this one.

photo 004_zpscu1xy8bq.jpg

Here she is with her 'sister"...

photo 005_zpsv6s6kl6s.jpg

photo 008_zpsus48br80.jpg

photo 010_zpsphjkbcv9.jpg

Our host and RD, Lana (left) with volunteer Julie

photo 011_zps7e9zdjkr.jpg

My very speedy friend John (left) with one of the award winners from the 5-mile race earlier in the day; he was volunteering tonite.

photo 012_zpscmbgdwog.jpg

ON THE COURSE

At the start area. You can kind of see the ground here and the type of ‘sandy’ terrain participants ran or walked on. At the recommendation of my friend Minnie – one of the ranch owners – I tried to say as much to the side of the trail as possible, where the ground was a bit firmer. This did help quite a bit.

photo 015_zpsieqfnwoz.jpg

photo 016_zpstvtg6gii.jpg

The trail ahead..

photo 017_zpsi4wqy0at.jpg

I saw these two guys at the start and never saw them again, lol, until after I finished. They finished long before me and were already enjoying the goodies by the time I got to the finish.

photo 018_zpses5pzdoe.jpg

A little blurry...Lana from her perch giving us last-minute directions about the course, etc.

photo 020_zpsb59lltvs.jpg

Still a bit light when we started out...

photo 021_zpsjhkgenj8.jpg

photo 022_zpsbnteljgh.jpg

Christmas tree of Lights with the red of the sunset as a background

photo 023_zpsdxdk5ilw.jpg

photo 024_zpsklxvgxkx.jpg

photo 025_zps3vhvssnh.jpg

photo 026_zpsqagqykhu.jpg

And then it was dark...

photo 027_zpsveshji9r.jpg

Really dark in some places....just had to follow my headlamp glowspot on the ground

photo 030_zps17eibrth.jpg

Even with a flash, my camera does not apparently like to take photos in the dark....my friend that was behind me a little on the course..we finished almost at the same time...

photo 031_zpsv6yyber0.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Done!  Here with my friends Julie (1st photo) and Lana, two such sweet ladies. Lana's boyfriend, Anthony should realize he is a very lucky guy...and if he doesn't...Lana should remind him often!

photo 035_zpsbdmjp3zp.jpg

photo 039_zpsigbhr9h2.jpg

Some of the iaapweb.com family and ranch owners....love these folks, they are all such great people.

photo 040_zpswwkdedqx.jpg

Nice post-race goodies after the finish….oh yeah....another event with beer…sweet...

photo 046_zpswakgs1mx.jpg

And catered dinner for those who wanted it….some type of grilled chicken, rice, pancake-like-thingys, filled with stuff (such a technical description, huh? ) and much more…

photo 038_zpsvcyts7r0.jpg

Live band, music provided by Bare Bones Band; I thought they were really good, and played a variety of music.

photo 041_zpsam41tphy.jpg

photo 042_zpssqbns812.jpg

Some more decorations found..

photo 036_zpsucmgzceb.jpg

photo 037_zpslnyddlqe.jpg

This guy had his own 'fireplace' decoration he wore, lol.  Very imaginative.

photo 043_zpssgmmowrm.jpg

I guess this is for "little person' Santa....

photo 048_zpskpq6rmox.jpg

photo 051_zps05pwvodp.jpg

And lots of ‘Happy Finishers’, volunteers, etc.

photo 032_zpsqnjhyuim.jpg

photo 033_zpsnai9jm7a.jpg

photo 034_zpsm6npti4l.jpg

photo 045_zpsh4cfyocd.jpg

photo 047_zpsa0ysvxrl.jpg

EPILOGUE

I’ve run at this ranch once before – and I did not hit a tree that time – and it was just as tough this time for me as it was then. Even so, these are very nicely laid out trails, with well thought-out routes. Being at the ranch itself is always a very nice experience because the owners are so very welcoming and thoughtful of everyone’s needs. They are really great people and they are really what makes these events here so good. It is certainly a very unique place to run in San Antonio and – even in spite of my ‘slowness’ on these trails every time I do them – I’d definitely do more events here.

Mucho thanks to all the people out there for us that made this one happen: volunteers, sponsors,  the food caterers the band, etc. And, of course, to Lana and her family.   Also wishing Jason and his family all the luck in beating his disease! Never give up, Jason...never give up!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun event with all the Christmas lights to enjoy.  Good job on the double.  I'm glad the tree didn't do too much damage.

Cyberic

Seems to me Santa's hair is a little short and dark...

Good job Scotty.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice race report. I can't imagine a full race on sand, I've done 1 lap around the Pimlico race track and that was more than enough. Tripped over a sheep?

LRB

Maybe you were feeling that beer from earlier.

Nice pics!