Beginners and Beyond

RnR Va Beach HM, course PR :) (Read 90 times)

Mmmmm...beer

This was my very first half last year, so I was looking forward to running it again, even tho the weather is typically pretty horrible, it was last year and again this year.  I'm not sure why we race in weather like this, but I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Smile

Dewpoint 74*, 99% humidity, let's go run a half marathon!

I bumped from corral 2 to corral 1 this year, that felt good.  But I figured I'd start at the back of the corral and try to take it easy at first and see how I felt with the heat.  First few miles felt good, averaged 7:06 for my 5k split, not bad given the weather.  I was just getting ready to start picking up the pace when I felt it, that rumbling deep in your gut that every runner fears.  I'll spare you the details, but I will tell you that I learned a very important lesson today.  Drinking a half pot of coffee before a race is a very bad idea.  It was only two cups, but we have really big cups (what can I say, we like coffee!).  I don't know why I did it, I never drink coffee before a race, a little bit of oatmeal and a little bit of water, that's my routine, should have stuck to it.  So I fought it off as long as I could, while my pace steadily dropped, but eventually had to make a pitstop, my first ever during a race!  When I got back on the course, I felt better, but just couldn't get back on pace.

I still managed to shave 11 minutes off of my time from last year with a 1:39:42, and would have been faster if I had spared myself the GI issues, I'll take that.  Next year I'm shooting for sub-1:30 in the heat, we'll see how it goes. Smile

I think this is my shortest RR ever!  I'll post up pictures if any get posted, I was flying solo, so no before/after pics.  I'll have to start getting other people to take pics of me. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

I love that you went out knowing full well that the conditions would be rough. You managed a great course PR, even with the pit stop included, Great race! Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice course PR! Solid time, especially with all things considered!!!! Sorry about those GI issues Sad

I get random people to take pictures of me at races all the time when I don't have anyone I know there....hehe. Gotta have pics for the RR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

delicate flower

Heh....a learning experience.  Congrats on the course PR, DtothePotty.

<3

LRB

That was fuckin' hilarious man!  Not funny ha-ha, just funny how you wrote it.

Um yeah, no, coffee is a bad deal if you are not used to it and even if you are, you have to allow time for it to doo what it has to doo.  lol

Good stuff D, let us know when you upload the run so we can see how long you were in there your splits.  ; )

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

yeah, I can relate to that weather, I've done that event 3 times.  Of course, my times were a LOT slower than yours, lol.    Congrats on your half, Dave, and congrats on the PR!  Doncha just love running on that cement boardwalk the last couple of miles to finish?  That 'carpet-thingy' they put over it sure does help SO much to lessen the impact on your legs after 11 miles, doesn't it?  Roll eyes

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

congrats on the course pr and the lesson learned. i'm sometimes tempted to try something new but this will serve as another reminder. great job!

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

That is an awesome time, especially with the stop.  Lesson: never risk a big PR trying something different!  Imagine how much bigger your PR would've been.  Wow!  I cannot wait to see how you do at Shamrock!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

It's a great feeling to go back and re-do your first race.  Definitely a sense of accomplishment to see the time drop.  Sorry about the added delay!  I could not make it to the start w/o coffee, but I allow an extra hour for things to happen.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, good job in dealing with that mess, Dave!  As much as I love coffee too (you should see my work coffee mug, it could double as a hot tub) I just know that I cannot do coffee before a race or even a training run for that matter.

Thanks for replying in my VBH/Ryan Hall thread.  I'm still trying to find out why he didn't run today but i wonder if it wasn't the forecast itself?  I know it would take a lot for me to DNS but if the heat/humidity have been anything like So Cal lately, I just might!  (barf!)

And still pretty amazing you knocked off time even with a pit stop.  (I picture the outhouse scene from Benchwarmers) Big grin

Randy

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks everyone!  Sorry for the lack of individual replies, I'm on my iPad.

Just found out that 13 people ended up in the hospital and one died. Sad RIP runner.

-Dave

My running blog

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Geeez loueeeez and I literally JUST talked about that in Brad's thread!  Now I'm really wondering if that might not have been the sole reason Ryan didn't run it!  This weather is killer to run in!  Heat & dew point OWNS!

Randy

Will run for scenery.

Just found out that 13 people ended up in the hospital and one died. Sad RIP runner.

Wow, that's really sad.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

LRB

Hate to hear that.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Lily! I paid for it, wasn't going to back out! lol Plus it's a Grand Prix race for my running club. Smile

Thanks Kristin! I'm sure some pics of me will pop up.

Thanks Phil! I am not changing my name to that! LOL Always good to learn something from a race, right? Smile

Thanks LRB! It may have cost me more in slowing down my pace than it did time actually spent in the portapotty (it was a quick stop lol). I don't have my exact splits, but looking at the 5k/10k/15k splits on the race site and there is a definitely slowdown at the 15k split. lol

Thanks Scotty! They must have changed the route, it's only about a half mile on the boardwalk now, not too bad. Smile

Thanks Ric! Yup, nothing new on race day, I'll be writing on the blackboard 100 times. Smile

Thanks Damaris! I'm really looking forward to training hard and giving Shamrock all I've got!

Thanks jjs! It's definitely a great feeling getting to run it again, even in less than ideal conditions. I love coffee and drink it all the time, but never before a race (until today, doh!).

Thanks redrum! Yeah, the weather sucked, they interviewed the top females (a team from Japan) and they were saying how much it slowed them down.

According to some preliminary info, the runner that died may have been due to a head injury from a fall, still very sad.

-Dave

My running blog