Beginners and Beyond

Work it out Wednesday penguins (Read 28 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Good morning! I don't usually run 2 days in a row, but 40 minutes is planned for today. What does everyone else have going on?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Easy miles all week for me.  I'll probably run 4 tonight.  I ran a little over 3 this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning!

3 miles this morning gym tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!!!  6-7 miles with hubby tonight.

I sure love our mascot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Three miles and yoga done this morning.   Time to pack for vacation 

LRB

Nice title! 

'Sup Pens!  I did chest and arms today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very early day for me!  I was up at 3:30 a.m. to take Gail to the airport for her business trip.  After I got home at about 4:15 a.m.,  I said heck with it, I am up anyway; so I donned my running gear and drove to Lackland Air Force Base with the intent of doing 3 easy miles.  Kinda crazy, huh, driving 25 miles from the house for a 3-mile run, lol.  But I don't care, I like variety in my running routes, so I try and mix it up a lot during my running week, never running the same route twice in a week,  and if that means driving a bit, so be it.   Traffic was pretty light so I got to the base around 5:15 a.m. and started my run/walk at 5:30 a.m.  It was nice and peaceful.  Also fun at the end because just before I finished I  synched up with a female basic training flight out doing a formation run for the morning and ended up running about a half-mile with them, with me running beside one of the instructors, and we had a nice chat as we went along.  As we came to an uphill pedestrian overpass, I forged on ahead of them since I knew they would be turning onto the next overpass after they got off this one and my route was straight ahead.   .  The instructor was funny and called out "Ladies, this is a 60-year old retiree making you 20-somethings look bad!  Get moving!"  lol.   As we all got down the overpass, the Instructor called out "Happy Run, sir!" and all the trainees, like programmed robots, shouted all in unison "Happy run, sir!"   lol.  Fun stuff.   Ended up with 4 miles.   So much for an easy 3.  Fun run though.   Now I'm back home and a bit tired...but it's all good, cuz I have today off from work, so I can take a nap!  Yay! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope your 40 minutes went well, obiebyke.

You're doing 2-a-days now, Awood?

Have fun at the gym tonite, PAD.

Happy running with hubby tonite, Damaris.

Safe trip, Margo, and happy vacation.

No running today, LRB?  I didn't do chest and arms.   I did start the 30-day plank challenge today, though.  Starts with a 20-second plank for Day 1.  Completed after my run.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Two runs, but neither as fun as yours.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins! I am grumpy today -- as I was driving in, there was a weird noise with my right front tire. It was definitely related to the rate of spin, and had a clearly metallic component to it. The tire sensor never said the pressure was low, and the tire didn't look odd when I stopped, and it wasn't hotter than the other tires either. The noise started, then went away, then came back, then went away again. I'm assuming that I got some piece of grit in my wheel what was just getting spun with the tire, but I'll have to go out to my car at lunch and make sure the tire isn't flat. Then I got the notice from our IT guys that my printer is not reparable and I need to buy a new one. I have to shut down instruments today for the UPS service guy tomorrow, and of course I can't print my shutdown instructions!

Yeah. I'm ready for a vacation!

obie -- DH went out this morning for yesterday's skipped run, so I guess I'll head out tonight for my skipped walk. Assuming I can get home ...

Awood -- have a good easy 4!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 3!!

Docket -- have good miles with DH!! I sent you a PM ...

Phillie -- get packing!! Doh, just remembered I forgot to put in a last-minute load of laundry this morning!!

LRB -- woo-hoo for your chest and arms!! (And I mean that sincerely ...)

scotty -- wow, a whole group of Great Legs running with you in unison? You must've been in heaven!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

How annoying, Hope. PS, got it and responded!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I'm told by the UPS guy that I may not have to shut down after all -- he can put everything in bypass while he changes out the batteries.  That will make things much better!

Got your response, Docket, and I'll let you know what the word is.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning!

5 easy miles for me this morning.  It felt good; I've been such a slacker lately.  Funny how you just don't think you can make time for it, and then you are so  glad you did.

Scotty, what a fun run for you this morning.  Smile

Philliefan, where are you headed?

Hopesmom, I hope your tire is OK.  My son gave me a lift somewhere yesterday and I noticed his "check engine" light it on; he said, "Oh yeah, that's been there for like a month, I'm not sure what that means."   Sigh.  I guess it's OK for another day or two - none of us have time to take it in until Friday.

Obie, when I first read your post I thought you were doing 40 miles today.  I was REALLY impressed.

Happy running, all!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

5 miles done this morning and it was hilly. Very, very, hilly.

Obie: You should run two days in a row more often. Get some more miles and watch what happens to your HM time.