Beginners and Beyond

What a Difference a Week Makes - Med City Marathon RR (Read 89 times)

StepbyStep-SH

May 26, 2013 — Med City Marathon, Rochester, Minn.

4:24:56; 78 of 174 women; 219 of 353 overall

I’ll keep this report (relatively) short and sweet. I registered for this race last summer when they were offering a special discount ($35 for a full marathon!?!), but as life got in the way through the winter thought I wouldn’t be able to run it, though it is not far from home.

Then, after a rough experience at the Fargo Marathon a week before, I really wanted a chance to finish a marathon feeling good and banish the bad taste of the Fargo death march. When my FIL offered to watch DS so I could run, and the weather forecast looked more promising than Fargo, I decided to go for it.

Two things would be different: The weather was cold, rainy and windy, rather than hot and humid; and I would go out at a pace that made more sense for my current fitness level.

At the start, I bumped into several friends, including one who was running the half at about my pace (and just happened to be wearing the exact same running skirt).

We ran together chatting, smiling at the comments about our matching skirts , enjoying the scent of lilacs, up and over the early hills without pushing or worrying about our time.

When she split off to finish the half, I was on my own, but feeling comfortable and just kept the same pace. Around Mile 15, the rain started, and there were times I really was cold, but I wasn’t overheating, the stomach/gas problems that plagued me last week were much less (this time I decided to skip the Gatorade, and I wasn’t drinking as much overall - not sure if that was the difference), and while my legs were tired, I didn’t have any true pain.

Volunteers and spectators were awesome - cheering, smiling and full of enthusiasm, despite the fact they were standing still in 45* rain with 15-20 mph winds blowing.

The first half of the route was on a country road, while the second half followed some beautiful bike paths along a river, around lakes, went through lovely residential neighborhoods, with only a short segment along more traveled streets. In some places the camber of the streets was annoying, but it was usually for short stretches.

I just stayed relaxed, never even breathing hard, walked the water stops, didn’t worry about losing time when I needed a bathroom break around mile 19, and maintained a steady pace throughout. My slowest mile, not counting the bathroom break, was a 10:25, my fastest was a 9:45.

Yes, I was still more than 30 minutes slower than my PR, but I finished marathon #10 with a genuine smile on my face, feeling good about myself and my running, and happy to be there.

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Shari_Buchta_Hegland/media/ShariMedCity5_zpsc4e59e11.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/Shari_Buchta_Hegland/ShariMedCity5_zpsc4e59e11.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I’ll count that as a success.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice work. Remember that you can't pr every time. How did you like running in a small event as compared to a large one?

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  And yeap, that's what hot and humid does, suck the life out of you.  Glad you were able to do another one in better conditions.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nice job! It's always good to finish a race with a smile on your face and feeling good.

By the way, Rochester is my home town. Glad to hear you had a good time as I know the race director and his crew try to put on a nice event.. I was a pacer for the full the past two years but had to miss it this year and was a little bummed.

StepbyStep-SH

Jack - I've run much smaller than this, and I don't mind as long as I'm just running it easy. It actually wasn't as empty in the second half as I expected; there are a ton of relay teams, so it seems like there are a lot more runners. It might be tougher to push the pace for a PR or BQ without company, but it was just right for this weekend.

Fuzzy - I was so impressed with the volunteers and spectators! Conditions had to be miserable for them, yet they never stopped smiling! Plenty of aid stations, really a beautiful course (though a bit twisty at the end), and dry places for both before and after the race are all nice touches.

Ric-G

nice job and great that you finished with a smile. sometimes you need a race like this to take the bad taste away from a disappointment (been there). bet you'll be ready to have an even better result next time AND finish with another smile.

marathon pr - 3:16

Nicely done! Enjoying yourself & feeling good at the end of a marathon is definitely a success, that's my goal for my next one....

Dave

Great job, Shari!  Finishing a marathon, enjoying myself, and feeling good through to the end is my goal for my next one this fall.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Nice job!  Smile

hog4life

I knew you would do better in this one, congrats.

Trail Monster

Awesome! Congrats!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Great job Step, glad you got to run this so soon and feel good about your race after Fargo.  And here's your pic Smile

pic

StepbyStep-SH

Awww! Thanks, Jay!

I really was happy!

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Glad to hear this marathon was more enjoyable than last week's.  Running two marathons a week apart is impressive.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

That sounds like a much better race, and that race pic says the whole story.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.