Beginners and Beyond

Just when we thought we had all become jaded by big corporate races (Read 379 times)

slowrunningjulie

I am very involved with the PTA at my son's school. We are doing a silent auction with gift baskets as a fundraiser and one of the gift baskets we are trying to put together is a running themed basket. I thought it would be fun to include a race entry in the basket, so I called up Conway Races. Jeff Conway is the Race Director for many large races in the Austin area, including the Austin Marathon and the one that I was interested in, the Cap 10K. It's one of the largest 10Ks in the country, with over 10,000 runners, and is sponsored by the Austin American Statesman. Anyway, I called, introduced myself, and told them what I wanted. The receptionist was super nice and took my information. She said that it was up to the Statesman since they are the race sponsor and that she would get in touch with them. Within an hour, I had an email from the Statesman, saying that I had a free entry and when did I need it by for my event.

It just made me feel good. A race entry is a super cool thing to include in our basket and it was nice to know that a big organization like that was so interested in helping us out.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

xor

That is very cool.

happylily

That's really nice of them! And you are really clever to have thought of it.:-) Bravo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I am very involved with the PTA at my son's school. We are doing a silent auction with gift baskets as a fundraiser and one of the gift baskets we are trying to put together is a running themed basket. I thought it would be fun to include a race entry in the basket, so I called up Conway Races. Jeff Conway is the Race Director for many large races in the Austin area, including the Austin Marathon and the one that I was interested in, the Cap 10K. It's one of the largest 10Ks in the country, with over 10,000 runners, and is sponsored by the Austin American Statesman. Anyway, I called, introduced myself, and told them what I wanted. The receptionist was super nice and took my information. She said that it was up to the Statesman since they are the race sponsor and that she would get in touch with them. Within an hour, I had an email from the Statesman, saying that I had a free entry and when did I need it by for my event.

It just made me feel good. A race entry is a super cool thing to include in our basket and it was nice to know that a big organization like that was so interested in helping us out.

That's awesome!  And, as an elementary school teacher, I just want to say "thank you" for being involved with PTA.  I've worked in schools with very weak PTAs & almost zero parent involvement, and in schools (like my current school) with strong PTAs and amazing parents.  It makes a whole world of difference when there's a strong PTA backing the school - the kids benefit SO much!  You are really & truly appreciated.

Angela 

MrNamtor

Good on ya!

Shakedown Street

well, that is austin!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

That is very cool.  I love the silent auction, gift basket night... and put in the winning bid for my daughters class basket this year (date night theme)  A running theme basket is such a great idea!

BTW, I just spent Christmas week just outside of Austin at my inlaws, and had a nice long run around Town Lake.  What a nice place to run!

Docket_Rocket

Nice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

slowrunningjulie

BTW, I just spent Christmas week just outside of Austin at my inlaws, and had a nice long run around Town Lake.  What a nice place to run!

We had nice weather over the break - glad you enjoyed our town! Austin is a wonderful town to run in as long as you are not afraid of a few hills.

Angela - I love the PTA at our school. I was kind of gun shy at first, because I had heard horror stories about "PTA moms," but I was also kind of freaked out by the idea of sending my son off into the big ol' world of kindergarten without me knowing what was going on. PTA allows me to get to know the teachers and the principals and the culture of the school in a meaningful, positive way. And most times, it is fun. Have met more friends than not. :-)

Upcoming:

Julie, compared to my running routes around my house, I thought Austin running was pretty flat!  I'll have to check with you next time to find some good hilly routes to run.

I did see two coyotes on one run in Round Rock, that crossed the street just in front of me.  Your coyotes are bigger Smile

@runjerseygirl

What a cool prize, and an awesome thing for them to do.  Congrats!

Do you even run?

slowrunningjulie

I did see two coyotes on one run in Round Rock, that crossed the street just in front of me.  Your coyotes are bigger Smile

LOL! They seem pretty big to me when I am all by myself at 5:00 AM! Where did you run in Round Rock?

Upcoming:

runningmum

AKA bear2009

What a wonderful idea, and that was very generous if them!  I may have to steal tryout idea of a running basket for our next silent auctionWink

2013 Goals:

1. Start, stay, and finish the year uninjured!

LOL! They seem pretty big to me when I am all by myself at 5:00 AM! Where did you run in Round Rock?

We were staying in the Teravista neighborhood, so I did a couple of runs just from the house instead driving to run.   Always a fun way to check out a new neighborhood, my inlaws just moved there from an older subdivision in Round Rock.

They coyotes were on the golf course, crossing the street to the other side of the golf course... and just like the coyotes here, they looked at me, and then ignored me Smile

slowrunningjulie

We were staying in the Teravista neighborhood, so I did a couple of runs just from the house instead driving to run.   Always a fun way to check out a new neighborhood, my inlaws just moved there from an older subdivision in Round Rock.

They coyotes were on the golf course, crossing the street to the other side of the golf course... and just like the coyotes here, they looked at me, and then ignored me Smile

My very first race was a 5K hosted by Scott and White that went through Teravista. You probably saw the same coyotes that I have encountered, or at least their kissing cousins. Good to know that they ignored you - that makes me feel better.

Upcoming: