Beginners and Beyond

Have you had a gait analysis done? (Read 73 times)

Hip Redux

Friday question because I'm not in the mood to work.

Having one done with a trainer tonight and he uses the Dartfish video system.

Wondering what your experiences have been - good, helpful, learn anything interesting?

Singer who runs a smidge

Haven't, but I think it would be the coolest thing ever.  UVA just up the road has a running clinic where they do total runner analysis, including which of your muscles need work, your gait, your breathing, the whole shebang.  Run by the guy who wrote Anatomy for Runners.  Secretly I would love to go get myself checked over, though I suspect like an honest mechanic he would say "It's time to trade in for a new body." 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I told you about mine already. 

Running is dumb.

Singer who runs a smidge

Huh.  It's only $300 for 2.5 hours.  Really reasonable!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

No. But thinking I should, after reading this article from the Wall Street Journal a couple days ago. I have a subscription, so not sure if this article is available to the general public. But the gist of it is, running is not bad for you after all, as long as you are doing it right.

HopesMom, that analysis does sound pretty cool. Can't imagine dropping three bills on anything like that, but probably a worthwhile investment. I did just spend $230+tax yesterday for 2 new pair of shoes, which I will have to do again in a few months. It's really hard for me to imagine changing something so natural like your gait. I was told by someone I ran with that I have a weird leg swing thing going on, but of course I don't notice anything unusual. It is my right leg, also the side where I seem to have most of my issues. So maybe there is something there.

Also, I bet I wouldn't want to do any other exercises they recommend.

Dave

Hip Redux

Haven't, but I think it would be the coolest thing ever.  UVA just up the road has a running clinic where they do total runner analysis, including which of your muscles need work, your gait, your breathing, the whole shebang.  Run by the guy who wrote Anatomy for Runners.  Secretly I would love to go get myself checked over, though I suspect like an honest mechanic he would say "It's time to trade in for a new body." 

That's neat!  I really liked that book.

You did Mandy, and I can only hope have a running gait as good as yours.  :P

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom, that analysis does sound pretty cool. Can't imagine dropping three bills on anything like that, but probably a worthwhile investment. I did just spend $230+tax yesterday for 2 new pair of shoes, which I will have to do again in a few months. It's really hard for me to imagine changing something so natural like your gait. I was told by someone I ran with that I have a weird leg swing thing going on, but of course I don't notice anything unusual. It is my right leg, also the side where I seem to have most of my issues. So maybe there is something there.

Also, I bet I wouldn't want to do any other exercises they recommend.

And I bet they would recommend a lot of exercises.  In the book, he basically says "If you're having this problem, this is a likely culprit, and here are the exercises to fix that."

And I bet they would recommend a lot of exercises.  In the book, he basically says "If you're having this problem, this is a likely culprit, and here are the exercises to fix that."

Everyone seems to rave about the Anatomy for Runners book. One more thing I should read but probably won't.

Dave

Love the Half

I have not and I pretty much think it's a waste of money.  Watch Priscah Jeptoo run.  What do you think some PT would say about her gait?  Of course, all she has done is win the London marathon, win the New York marathon, win an Olympic silver medal, win the $500,000 world marathon championship, blah, blah, blah.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I had one done within my first year of running. I don't think it was a real extensive one, because it only cost me $70.00. She had me run on a TM and filmed me before doing a little analysis. The whole thing felt very unnatural to me and I don't think I was running as I normally would, because there were like 25 other people in the room doing some circuit training thing and I felt uncomfortable being there. Anyway, none of this matter... But then she told me what I already knew, than my left leg is a bit shorter than my right one and my left foot points inside when I run. I let myself be convinced that I needed $400.00 orthotics which I could never get used to. Total waste of money for me. My body is faulted and I will die this way. I'm resigned to it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

I have not and I pretty much think it's a waste of money.  Watch Priscah Jeptoo run.  What do you think some PT would say about her gait?  Of course, all she has done is win the London marathon, win the New York marathon, win an Olympic silver medal, win the $500,000 world marathon championship, blah, blah, blah.

If Jeptoo was constantly injured, then it would likely be worthwhile.   If it ain't broke, don't fix it - or as I like to say... if you're always broke, something is probably wrong.

My body is faulted and I will die this way. I'm resigned to it.

Seems to work out OK for you, though.

Dave

happylily

Seems to work out OK for you, though.

That's only because I try not to complain too much. Although sometimes I can be quite the whiner. 

happylily

On second thought, I was NOT saying that other people complain for no good reason. I've been injured once or twice. Injuries suck and they must be taken seriously. It's not normal to be injured again and again and I understand the quest to find solutions to problems which keep coming back.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Same sort of comments can be made about Paula Radcliffe.

As for the question, I have had my gait analyzed at the LRS (BIG PEACH RUNNING CO) a few times as I have lost weight.

In no great surprise it remained consistent even with the weight loss.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18