Beginners and Beyond

Photos and Report: Street2Feet 5K (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 9th race of 2014 and the first of two 5Ks I did on February 15th.  Street2Feet supports SAMMinistries - <cite>www.samm.org/</cite>‎  -  in San Antonio and is a very popular annual event.  Held in Downtown San Antonio.  Nice weather for the 8 a.m. start, sunny, virtually no wind, about 55 degrees.

I ended up with a chip time of 32:51.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Since I was doing two events on this day - Street2Feet 5K at 8 a.m. and Be My Valentine 5K at 9:30 a.m - I got my race shirt ready with both bibs, so after I finished the first one, I could just head right over to the 2nd race venue.  The start of  each of these two events was about a mile apart from each other, so I saw several other people at this first race who had also decided to do the 2nd event and were also wearing two bibs.

BEFORE THE RACE

Arrived about 45 minutes before the start and got photos of volunteers, participants, supporters

Yours Truly, your host for this report

Race Director Virginia and one of the race day registration volunteeers

My speedy running pal, Bernadette

The Brac Pak folks - called that (I think) because they do training runs at local Brackenridge Park.  Some folks were running, others were helping on the course as volunteers.  One of my pals here, Sally (bib 166 and bib 18) was also doing the second race.

Team Toyota.  Toyota - which has a Tundra Truck manufacturing plant in San Antonio - is a big sponsor of local events.

These guys are wearing the nice 'tech tee' shirts that all participants got

Go UTSA RoadRunners!  University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) is the university where I work. These folks were one of the "Cheer Teams"  on the course for all the runners and walkers.

The lady on the right does about as many races a year as I do.  I see her at a lot of our local events, and we always have a nice chat and sometimes run together for a bit on some of the courses.

More Team Toyota members.

One of our Race MC's, Randy Beamer, news anchor and all-around great guy,  for our local NBC affiliate TV station, WOAI.

Getting ready to go...I was waaaaay in the back....

ON THE COURSE

A little over the 1/2 mile point

These two young fellows on the right passed me and I never saw them again until the finish.  Speedy lads!

At about the 1/2 way point

Just about to the finish and we passed in front of The Alamo, where these ladies were entertaining all the passing runners.

I passed this guy along the way and then got a photo of him finishing..he was not that far behind me.

My friend Sally (#376) coming in to the finish

AFTER THE RACE

As I walked down the chute, the Two Speedy Lads had already finished waaay ahead of me...

Got a few more photos of some "Happy Finishers" and volunteers before I headed over to my next race venue.

EPILOG

Very nice race, one that continues to be on my race calendar year after year.  Lots of post-race goodies - which I didn't get to indulge in today, as I had to get to my next race venue - great sponsors, great volunteers, great participants, a very friendly event.  MUCHO thanks to First Presbyterian  Church downtown that allowed us the use of their parking lots and grounds for the event.

Next up for me was the Be My Valentine 5K...report and photos here:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/e6eb1db30c774af58564c721fd38bb6f#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good time, Scott.  You must have been chasing the "Legs".

Zelanie

Wow, looks like a great turnout and a fun race!  By the way, nice customized race T-shirt!  I must have missed the race where you got that one from, but it's a nice touch!

The two bibs was a good idea.  Glad that they didn't try to get grumpy about it on the course- luckily they looked pretty different.

Pinktastic

Congrats, Scotty!   Another great race in the books on your way to another record-breaking year of 5Ks!   Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

SheCan

Wow@ how close together these two races were.  You're seriously ambitious now.  Love how you did the bibs right next to each other.  Its amazing how quick some of those kids can be.  Their parents probably put them in the races to burn off that energy.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson