Beginners and Beyond

Do you untie your running shoes before you take them off? (Read 345 times)

cmb4314

Depends on how tightly I tied them and how lazy I'm feeling.

Usually, no.

I do untie them before putting them back on.  If I tied them loose enough that I could slip them on without untying them, I'd be in a world of hurt.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

andee1296

I usually untie them if they aren't double knotted and then I might tie the shoes together so I can carry them by the laces.

If they're double-knotted (this depends on which pair of shoes I'm wearing), I almost always just pull them off. I hate prying those double knots apart later and it usually ends up being necessary when I'm in a hurry grrr

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

EVERY TIME.  I couldn't imagine doing anything that would harm those beauties. 

Also, the left shoe always goes off and gets put on before the right.  So I may have a problem.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

I double knot them once after I buy them.  After a couple of weeks, they seem to loosen up a bit so I'll untie and retie them but that usually does it. They stay tied the rest of the time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Untie the double knots every time. It takes a total of about 5 to 10 seconds.

Buelligan

I just kick my particular shoes off (NB 730) right now because it's especially easy to do so, but I always untie and retie them when I put them on,,, always.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I always untie mine and the strings are tucked inside.

Running for TJ because he can't.

tracilynn

Never untie.  I do retie my trail shoes though but never my running shoes.  Slip on and off.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Buelligan

I hate double knots, btw.  I'd rather have just enough length to get a properly tied bow and leave it at that.   I can't stand those extra long shoe laces for double knots.  The laces on my current shoes are the best laces I've ever seen; very grippy when they're tied.

tessasnewlife

Yep. I also don't kick of my work boots. I'm hard enough on my shoes that I don't need to add to the torture.

Mostly harmless

Always.  My retired ones I just kick off. 

+1

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

YAYpril - B-Plus

EVERY TIME.  I couldn't imagine doing anything that would harm those beauties. 

Also, the left shoe always goes off and gets put on before the right.  So I may have a problem.

Are you right-handed? I'm left-handed and I always put my right shoe on/take my right shoe off first.

As for me, I always untie before taking my shoes off. Retired ones I couldn't care less about, but the ones in rotation? Yeah.

SheCan

Never even considered not untying them.  Hmmmmm.....

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Love the Half

I get north of 600 miles out of a pair of shoes.  Failing to untie them isn't going to damage them unless you are buying really, really cheap shoes.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I untie them. I can't slip them on/off unless I do.

In transit, arriving on time.