Beginners and Beyond

Coyotes losing their fear of humans (not really running related, but sort of) (Read 67 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://on.aol.com/video/colorado-man-attacked-by-three-coyotes-walking-to-work-517974917?hp=1&playlist=127164&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D392838

Well, I might just get a bigger can of pepper spray.......... or wear a large knife in my bra. Every morning on my runs I hear them "hackling" off in the distance, and I've seen a few occasionally while driving. I just wonder when and if I might have my own run in with them......

This guy was walking to work, but things like this can still  happen to us runners.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

They are becoming more and more common around here. Two winters ago we woke up and two deer were laying down near our house. Suddenly they stood up and bolted and two of these guys showed up and hung out for a few minutes. The middle picture was taken from my daughters bedroom window.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You haven't had an issues when out running have you?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Nope. I hear them but I've only seen a couple while running. I'm more worried about loose dogs than I am of wild animals.

MTA: Only because I have been bitten by a dog before.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've yet to be attacked (knock on wood). My close calls have been one dog, a Golden Retriever shit head, a raccoon and a skunk..... that is it and hopefully it stays that way.

PRs

B-Plus

I saw one walkin down my mom's street recently. I'm afraid to run in the nature trail near her place for fear of encountering wildlife.

Scary article.  There are plenty of coyotes around my house; I've heard them lots but still haven't seen any out here other than the roadkilled remnants of one after a night when they ate a fawn in my yard.

To be optimistic, the deer out here are much warier than their people-acclimated brethren down in the burbs.  Hopefully the same holds true for coyotes.  They're definitely on my mind when I hear something in the woods while running on pitch dark nights.

We had some territorial issues a few years back when we lived on a farm surrounded by fields and forest.  We had to regularly go out and face the coyotes down with our dog to enforce our territorial boundaries.  They were welcome to wander the fields, but the area inside the driveway loop was ours, and they weren't allowed to stalk the house - lying on the edge of the driveway staring at my cat in the window.  I never had to do more than walk purposely toward them, though sometimes I'd get within 15 feet or so before they'd finally run off.

That cat still has the nickname Coyote Bait.  Needless to say, he's never been allowed out.

Jess runs for bacon

http://on.aol.com/video/colorado-man-attacked-by-three-coyotes-walking-to-work-517974917?hp=1&playlist=127164&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D392838

Well, I might just get a bigger can of pepper spray.......... or wear a large knife in my bra. Every morning on my runs I hear them "hackling" off in the distance, and I've seen a few occasionally while driving. I just wonder when and if I might have my own run in with them......

This guy was walking to work, but things like this can still  happen to us runners.

In my area we don't have coyotes but we do have foxes. One just bit a lady and her dog, and we had another rabid one a few months ago.

slowrunningjulie

I was on a run one time and had a car stop to warn me that there were 4-5 coyotes on the sidewalk up ahead of me. I turned around. This was before the sun came up, so since that time I try to run at or after dawn in the hopes that they will be less active.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon