Beginners and Beyond

My first 10K RR- Bill Robinson 10K Masters Championship (Read 59 times)

on my way to badass

First, a little about me. I am Amy, 48, mother of one boy in third grade and wife of oldfatslow (sometimes seen in these parts). Runner for about 3 years. My goal for my first 10K was to get a 1:15Tight lippedx with a 1:12Tight lippedx as a really good result.

The Bill Robinson Masters Championship race is dedicated to Bill Robinson, who I don’t know, but have heard about. The race is put on by the Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club and is VERY well organized. It started from a local high school and packet pick-up was in the lobby with real bathrooms right off of said lobby. We gathered after for awards and refreshments in the same lobby and it was sized just right. We got tanks (singlets?) instead of T’s. I thought they were very generous for a very inexpensive race ($13 for members, $15 for non-members).

The weather was overcast and about 45F for the start and the sun never emerged to heat things up. It had rained the previous night but stopped and stayed stopped for the race.

I had a tough time deciding what to wear and settled on a running skirt and long-sleeved tech shirt. I had a hat at the ready, to keep rain off my glasses, but thankfully did not need it.

The course was on suburban/country roads and an out and back. The start had a little bottleneck but I was at the back so it didn’t matter to me. The first mile was fairly flat with. I started out with an older runner in front of me and a pair of women who were running together. At the first mile marker the course marshal yelled out splits and encouragement. The older runner in front he knew by name and then informed us nearby, that she was 80 years old. It took me another whole mile to pass her! Mile 2 had a little uphill but nothing that could scare me. I had some water at the water stop and slowed down to drink because I am such a noob. I managed not to choke. Mile 3 was a lot of gradual downhill. A course marshal gave us clock time at the turnaround. Mile 4 was the toughest because that gradual downhill was a long uphill on the way back. On the hill was where I finally passed the pair of ladies running together (after we had a chat and I admired their pacing). I did it on the longest portion of the uphill (wanted to puke after that so I slowed down a little until the feeling went away). Water stop after mile 4. Managed not to choke again and I actually threw my cup on the ground (gasp). Saw a guy walking a Walker Coonhound at the water stop. I thought of Scotty, ‘cause I’m a dog person too. Mile five was kind of a blur. It was largely flat and or downhill I think. Mile 6 was more downhill and really flat. I was really feeling good still so I tried to push myself. The 2 ladies that I was behind until the big uphill stayed not too far back from me. I could hear their footfalls. Whenever they sounded close I sped up a little. The finish was great I felt strong still and maybe wanted to puke. 1:11:16

Refreshments were astounding. Bagels (huge bagels) with butter and/or cream cheese, bananas, oranges, coffee, hot chocolate and of course, water.

Awards were nice. There were race awards and USATF awards as well. 3 places in 5 year age groups. If I can hang on until my 60’s I may place in my age group. I don’t know my place in my age group yet. Probably DFL. There was more than one BAA jacket at this race (1 that I saw from this year, but a few from other years as well). I finished 91/98. My Garmin says I had my fastest 5K, 10K and mile. Go figure.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Bin Running

Congrats in your 1st 10K. You did great meeting all your goals. The price of this race is really good. No pics?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

obiebyke

Stonefence, what an awesome little race! Good work. I liked the one 10K I did. Good distance, that.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, you destroyed your goal! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

on my way to badass

There may be pics later in th week. There was a photographer there.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

LRB

I like it! 

Nice report SF!  I always seem to do well a couple of weeks after a 10k, hopefully that is the case for you as well.

And for what it's worth I have paid $25, $40 and $35 for my 5k's so far this year.  $45 for my lone 10k.  In other words, CHA-CHING!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Amy, you ARE well on your way to Badass.  Congrats on first 10K and nice RR.  Didn't know you were a running couple.  Hi to OFS.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great stuff, SF!  You wanted to puke? In my opinion, that is a sign that you ran a hard race and left it ALL on the course. That, or whatever you ate for breakfast did not agree with you. Good job on meeting your goal and your next one will be even better.

on my way to badass

I have discovered that the nausea happens when I push myself to the limit. If I slow down a little the nausea goes away. On the one long hill I tried to maintain my pace. I got the nausea near the top, slowed the effort a little and was recovered by the water stop. Thanks everyone for the comments. I have 2 weeks until the next 10K. I had 2 pints with dinner tonight and ice cream.

PADRunner

Good job!

GinnyinPA

Amy - congratulations on beating your goal for this race.  It sounds like a good course for a first 10k.  Did OFS run it too?

on my way to badass

OFS had to stay home and care for the boy. He hasn't been training for anything specific either.

Docket_Rocket

Great job on your first 10K!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Thanks Damaris!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats, Amy, you did great, way to go!  Nice of you to think of me when you saw my 'cousin'.    Sounds like a tough course and yet you did your fastest 10K distance...you rock!

Pretty impressive also about that 80 year old woman out there!  I hope I can still run like that when I'm 80!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt