Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins: You Are all Getting Whipped for Being Lazy (Read 38 times)

Docket_Rocket

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Da Fuck is everyone?  Whips are coming out!

6 miles and weights tonight.

And I hope I didn't duplicate the penguin thread, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

My deepest apologies...or maybe not. Wink lol

Good morning everyone!  Never posted yesterday, did 10 miles last night.  8-10 on tap for later today.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Well at least I have time zone as my excuse.  Hi penguins!

Another walk on tap for me today.  Hope everyone who isn't posting is out running!

D- Enjoy the miles and weights!

D2- Hope the miles are great later!  Are you going to modify your schedule at all in preparation for your 5K?

Bin Running

Was slacking. Haa

8easy miles done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Amazing!  Where are our usual early risers?

I had a lovely run yesterday - 5.5 miles on a beautiful sunny cool afternoon and will do another 4-6 this afternoon. I like that distance.  Not far enough to be tiring, but far enough to feel like I've really gotten some exercise.

Zelanie - how's the knee?

One Half So Far

I also beg to defer from whippings due to my time zone.

RD today.  Got 4 in last night...still not as quick as I would like. Perhaps the burrito I ate 45 min before I ran was the culprit.

Anyone have an opinion about this plan: http://running.competitor.com/files/2013/03/30_nat.pdf for a half marathon training plan?

D^2: gj on the 10!  You training for a FM?

Zel: Hope your knee gets better SOON. You out on tour again today?

Bin: gj on the 8 Smile

Ginny: Yeah, it was unseasonably beautiful here yesterday, too.  Nice evening for a 4.

Damaris: Have fun with your workout.

Hope everyone is healthy and in good spirits today.  Off to teach a fun lesson on volume to both my geometry AND calculus classes.  Not the same lesson, but same topic.

Have a good day, amigos.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Zelanie

Bin- Nice run!

Ginny- Enjoy the 4-6!  I am so hyper-aware of my knee that I can't tell how it is.  The pain I feel when running is an ache at the bottom of the kneecap between the knee and the shin.  I also used to feel that when walking right after my HM, and then for a while when going down stairs, turning corners, etc.  I haven't felt that at all since I tried to run on Sunday.

But I do feel a little something on the back of my knee, more in the thigh area.  It's a totally different sensation and might be entirely imaginary or unrelated.  It doesn't feel like it's in the joint at all, and it's not even pain.  I'm going to assume that's nothing and keep walking though.

Zelanie

Jeff- The link gives a 404 error.  I'm not on tour again until next week.  We emailed Eugene, BTW, but they didn't reply.  So we won't be headed down to the land of the hippies.

While you're at it, can you come teach some "geometry" to my DD?  This week they're reviewing factoring polynomials and it's been driving us batty.

Bin Running

Mel, knee pain is due to HM racing? I knew your knee is hurting but can't recall why.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Bin- Yes, it was no trouble during training, then hurt like hell the last few miles of the race (maybe that's the reason for the fade?).  Still didn't think too much of it, but since then I can't run without it hurting.

Bin Running

Bin- Yes, it was no trouble during training, then hurt like hell the last few miles of the race (maybe that's the reason for the fade?).  Still didn't think too much of it, but since then I can't run without it hurting.

Hope you find out what is causing and get it fixed.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

B-Plus

I'm here! hope that's ok.

1 x 1600m @ 5k pace (fail)

4 min recoveries

7 x 400m @ 3k pace w/ 1 min recoveries

I had to cut things short because I needed to take a dumpasaurus Rex.

SheCan

Well at least I have time zone as my excuse.  Hi penguins!

Me too  Joking   Hope I didn't miss seeing everyone else get whipped though!

B-Plus- Hi ya!

Gonna try a short run today-- as far as how long, it'll depend on the feel.  I'm so glad I didn't go to San Antonio now, because DH is already coming home today.  Seems he finished the job, and wanted to get right back to me!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Docket: Miles, weights, work... How do you get the time?

D2: Good mileage... very good mileage. Was that the advanced 18/55?

Zel: Just a walk? (not that there's anything wrong with that). Have you seen a doctor yet? You also might consider a massage from a sports PT or something. I get one every few months. They hurt like anything and sometimes I get tears, but man do you feel better. When I had knee pain, I thought it was caused be my ITB but it was actually knots of lactic acid in my lower back. He got rid of those knots and the knee and IT issues were cured. I'm just saying that just because the pain is in the knee doesn't neccessarily mean it is starting there.

Bin: I am also going to look at the Daniels plan. I would be happy to compare notes with you. Whatever plan I choose (probably the Pfitz) I am sure I will modify it along the way.

J: I am currently using the Ryan Hall 10 week plan and it has been pretty good, though I did have to reduce the intensity of the intervals.  I got a copy from Hog.

B-Plus: Ugh... I loathe intervals!

She Can: Have you ever run in the Tucson Marathon?

As for me, DD has a track meet today (1600 and 3200) and I will go for a 30 minute easy run tonight. The taper is almost over!!