Beginners and Beyond

Almost a year later... My "Runniversary" Report (Read 339 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

This is more for me than for ya'll, so feel free to skim or skip..... just don't tell me cuz you know it'd be bad for my huge ego.  *snort*

January 8, 2012, I began the "Run Your Butt Off" program (similar to C25K).  I walked for about 30 minutes, a few times a week, and then on January 18, 2012, I took my first running steps.  Total "workout" time?  31 minutes.  Total running time?  5 minutes (in one minute segments).

It wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done (I've given birth, after all), but it was not easy, either.  I worked for those 5 minutes.

Today, I went for my first run of 2013, thinking negatively - thinking about all the running I HAVEN'T done lately, the injury I've been nursing for months, how slow I still am, how I'm probably kidding myself about the plans I have for this year, etc, etc.   Half way through my run, I started to think back to those five 1-minute running segments, and how proud I was back then to just have done that much.  I stopped telling myself those negative things, and just focused on today, and how good I was starting to feel, picking up the pace and enjoying the sunshine.

I ran 4 miles today.  Not the farthest I've ever run, not the fastest I've ever run, but nevertheless, I covered 4 miles today.  A year ago, that was unfathomable.  Today, it didn't even take much effort, and I was smiling and energetic when I got home.

In the past 12 months, I have completed six 5Ks, and an 8K.  I have run in the early morning, midday, and late at night after everyone else is asleep.  I've run on treadmills, roads, sidewalks, trails, bridges, paved paths.  I've cried while running, laughed while running, chatted while running.  I have lost weight - not much, but enough that it's noticeable to people who know me well.  I have taken over 6 minutes off my  5K time, and I have signed up for a 10 miler and a HM.

I am normally very self-effacing and painfully shy.  Running has helped me combat that.  Running has given me more confidence in myself.  I may not be the fastest, strongest, prettiest, blah, blah, blah, but in the past year, I have become a better version of myself, and I am so unbelievably grateful for that.   For all of you.

I was a "resolutioner."   Now, I'm a runner.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  You've come far but there's a lot more coming up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Di- you are a runner. Keep up the good work. You will keep growing and someday be able to look back on how far you have come.

Great job.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jess runs for bacon

Congrats Di!!! you've shared some good wisdom in this post Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

I've followed your journey basically from the beginning. I am so proud of how far you've come. I can't wait to see what IS to come. Smile

Sloooow.

Congratulations on your runniversary, Di! You've made huge changes in the year, great job Smile

RabbitRunner

Yep, you're a runner.  You've come a long way.  Great post.

runmomto3boys

What an inspiring story, Diana.  You have come so very far throughout the course of the last year.  I am so happy for you!!!!  There are good things in store for you in 2013 - I'm certain of it!

Mmmmm...beer

Great job Di!!  Love how you were able to put things back into perspective.  You are definitely a runner!  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on your Runniversary, and making the transition from resolutionist to runner.  I'm in much the same place, amazed at how I've gone from someone who "can't run" to someone who loves to run.   And after dealing with a long slow injury, I know how wonderful it feels to be back to running, and making plans for the future again.

kitteh

Half way through my run, I started to think back to those five 1-minute running segments, and how proud I was back then to just have done that much.  I stopped telling myself those negative things, and just focused on today, and how good I was starting to feel, picking up the pace and enjoying the sunshine.

I ran 4 miles today.  Not the farthest I've ever run, not the fastest I've ever run, but nevertheless, I covered 4 miles today.  A year ago, that was unfathomable.

What a great shift in perspective you had during your run! Reading your post made me tear up, and though practically everything does these days, I'm fairly confident I would have had the same reaction even if I weren't so hormonal. Congrats on still being a runner almost a year later. I see many more years to come Smile

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Great story Di, it is an awesome feeling knowing how far you have come . congratulations and I hope you have a great 2013!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks, everybody! Smile

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

happylily

I am normally very self-effacing and painfully shy.  Running has helped me combat that.  Running has given me more confidence in myself.  I may not be the fastest, strongest, prettiest, blah, blah, blah, but in the past year, I have become a better version of myself, and I am so unbelievably grateful for that.   For all of you.

I was a "resolutioner."   Now, I'm a runner.

Di, this was very touching. Thank you so much for writing this. You are indeed a runner, and also one of the brightest one around here. I have always appreciated your humor and also your well-thought comments. I am grateful to have you as a member of this community. Hugs to you, you are awesome!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Luke79

I totally remember you first coming around.  I'm glad you are still running, and hope you keep it up.  Keep on truckin