Beginners and Beyond

Old Running Watches (Read 57 times)

hog4life

I just ordered a new Garmin 310XT.  My old 205 has bit the dustand will not hold a charge for more than 1 hour or so. What do you do with your old ones? Trash? Sell? Donate?

LRB

I have only had two watches in my four years of running, the first of which (a basic digital watch) I keep in my running bag as a spare.  Not sure if that is an option for you with it only holding a charge for an hour but in a pinch that may be all you need.

MothAudio

They're laying around somewhere. In the past I've donated them to other runners in need. My Nike+ is resting on the nightstand as my alarm.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Little Blue

I've noticed that my 205 is starting to lose charge.  Can they be repaired, battery replaced, or should I just plan on a new toy for Christmas?

In response to the question, I have my 205 and a basic running watch.  I wear it when I don't need to measure distance, since it's always charged and ready to go.

hog4life

I've noticed that my 205 is starting to lose charge.  Can they be repaired, battery replaced, or should I just plan on a new toy for Christmas?

In response to the question, I have my 205 and a basic running watch.  I wear it when I don't need to measure distance, since it's always charged and ready to go.

I posted this same question over in the Gears forum and someone posted a link to a guy that will replace the battery. Too bad I already ordered the 310. So maybe I'll get the battery replaced and keep it as a spare.

bluerun

Super B****

If it's basically ineffective, toss it.

Otherwise... keep it.  I have four Garmins, and yes, I use them all. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had the battery of my 205 replaced.  I sent it to some guy on eBay (seems sketchy, but I knew others who had done it too with good results.)  Works like new again!

Running is dumb.

Little Blue

I posted this same question over in the Gears forum and someone posted a link to a guy that will replace the battery. Too bad I already ordered the 310. So maybe I'll get the battery replaced and keep it as a spare.

Found it, thanks!

catwhoorg

Labrat

If it's basically ineffective, toss it.

Otherwise... keep it.  I have four Garmins, and yes, I use them all. 

Two wrists and  two ankles...

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Haven't had the problem.  The 2 year old FR10 is still ticking for 3 or 4 hours.  I'd be in trouble if I ever ran a FM.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm about 100% sure this will jinx it but my 305 has been solid for a few years now.  I still get a good few hours (up to 4, I think) as I've taken it on long bike rides.

I can see 2 and/or maybe even 3 Garmins but 4???

Just couldn't bring yourself to return the other 3 as duplicate gifts?? 

Randy

I replaced the battery in my 305. It wasn't that hard. Just found a vid on the internetz and went to work. And the replacement battery has more capacity than the original. The downside is I wrecked the speaker (it wasn't loud enough anyway) and if I use it in a down pour, a bit of water always gets under the screen. It dries completely afterwards.

You could try to replace it and then have it as a backup unit.