Beginners and Beyond

Nude races becoming more popular? (Read 125 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/if-you-cant-stand-the-heat-try-nude-racing

We have not talked about this topic in a while, so I thought I would bring it up 

Would you try a nude race, would you ever just run by yourself naked?

I will admit, and only once! Last November while out on the trails with Rocky at around 8-8:30 pm, when nobody else was out and it was already dark..... I stripped to just my shoes and sprinted down the trails for 2-3 minutes before quickly getting my clothes back on. It was both freeing, thrilling, and weird. I am not too sure I would ever do a race naked though.....

Ok, my conscience is cleared 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Pics or it didn't happen

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Uhhhhhh nnnnooooo lol

Pics or it didn't happen

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

No, I never was interested in racing naked. If for some reason it meant I could run faster, maybe. But if it's just so we can all say "Hey people, look! We're naked!!!" Meh...

Plus, I'd be too afraid to catch a glimpse of my own body parts during the race. It's bad enough that I know that I run with one leg turned in and that people behind me must notice my foot pointing inside, I don't need to worry about my giggly butt and my un-bouncy breasts. Maybe if I had the opposite, a firm butt and a bouncy chest, I would care less, but I'm too proud to accept unfavourable comparison. At home, I have no problem with nudity, and after a shower, I often walk naked looking for my clothes. It was not a problem when my kids were young, but nowadays, it makes my teenage son swear loudly. Poor boy. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Would you ever try running naked on your TM?

No, I never was interested in racing naked. If for some reason it meant I could run faster, maybe. But if it's just so we can all say "Hey people, look! We're naked!!!" Meh...

Plus, I'd be too afraid to catch a glimpse of my own body parts during the race. It's bad enough that I know that I run with one leg turned in and that people behind me must notice my foot pointing inside, I don't need to worry about my giggly butt and my un-bouncy breasts. Maybe if I had the opposite, a firm butt and a bouncy chest, I would care less, but I'm too proud to accept unfavourable comparison. At home, I have no problem with nudity, and after a shower, I often walk naked looking for my clothes. It was not a problem when my kids were young, but nowadays, it makes my teenage son swear loudly. Poor boy. 

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Unfortunately, imagination is never as good as reality and I suspect events like this will end up with:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Most nudist resorts would have that reaction from non-nudist lol.

Unfortunately, imagination is never as good as reality and I suspect events like this will end up with:

PRs

happylily

Would you ever try running naked on your TM?

I would never subject my loyal TM to something like that. 

Seriously, I think there are two things that stop me from doing it: First, the thought that it can't be too comfortable. Not just for the bouncy parts, but clothes act as sweat collectors and without them, all the sweat runs down and, ewwwww..... I mean, we're talking about racing and training, not vagabonding on the beach, right? Secondly, in my mind, me naked but with running shoes and socks is not an attractive picture. Not that I feel embarrassed by my body, but Lululemon makes awesome booty shorts which make my butt look great, so why would I run without them on? I want a happy picture in my mind.  I get my dose of freedom in other meaningful ways.

Andrea, what does running naked mean to you? Why do you feel that being naked outside brings you freedom? Freedom from what? From clothes? I do enjoy a walk on the beach in my bathing suit, with the sun and the wind on my skin, but I don't need total nudity to get that feeling of freedom and nature.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Honestly, it was a curiosity thing for me. I feel a too vulnerable naked, and that makes me uncomfortable. It was thrilling in the fact that I was outside running naked but as far as I knew nobody was around, which is why I did it. I think I could do a race in a bikini, or sports bra and boy shorts.. I mean hell I've ran in just shorts and a sports bra around people. Honestly, there really isn't much more freedom to it than just being out on the trails. But it is thrilling and I could have gotten caught 

Seriously, I think there are two things that stop me from doing it: First, the thought that it can't be too comfortable. Not just for the bouncy parts, but clothes act as sweat collectors and without them, all the sweat runs down and, ewwwww..... I mean, we're talking about racing and training, not vagabonding on the beach, right? Secondly, in my mind, me naked but with running shoes and socks is not an attractive picture. Not that I feel embarrassed by my body, but Lululemon makes awesome booty shorts which make my butt look great, so why would I run without them on? I want a happy picture in my mind.  I get my dose of freedom in other meaningful ways.

Andrea, what does running naked mean to you? Why do you feel that being naked outside brings you freedom? Freedom from what? From clothes? I do enjoy a walk on the beach in my bathing suit, with the sun and the wind on my skin, but I don't need total nudity to get that feeling of freedom and nature.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Sweat already runs down on all my clothes since mile 0.0000000001.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Pics or it didn't happen

Careful what you ask for, catwhoorg!  I've done 5 of these type of events

photo BBjpg.jpg

When my wife turned 50, she did one with me...

OK, Damaris...now you can smoke your eyes out! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Careful what you ask for, catwhoorg!  I've done 5 of these type of events

Okay that was funny!

bluerun

Super B****

For me: NO.  Just... no.

For other people: well, hey.  Whatever floats your boat.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Love the Half

Yes I would do it and it's one of the things on my running bucket list.  Why?  Just for the hell of it.  Too many people are afraid of doing things because it makes them uncomfortable whereas I tend to want to do things precisely because they take me out of my comfort zone.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Yes I would do it and it's one of the things on my running bucket list.  Why?  Just for the hell of it.  Too many people are afraid of doing things because it makes them uncomfortable whereas I tend to want to do things precisely because they take me out of my comfort zone.

I can see how as an American man from the south you would repress your nudity and you would feel uncomfortable with your own body. Good for you for wanting to break the chains of shame.