Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Carrera Races Holiday 5K Supporting Wounded Warrior Program (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

This was my 74th race of 2014 and my 4th 5K of the weekend of December 13 - 14, 2014.  This one was held on December 14, 2014 at 5 PM.  This event supported the Wounded Warrior Program.   About 200 or so runners/walkers.  I ended up with a finish time of 33:48, good enough for 2nd in my age group.  Of course, there were only 3 IN my age group, lol.  My finish time made me laugh because it seemed that for the four 5Ks I did this weekend, my legs were progressively getting a bit more tired with each race....1st race on Saturday morning: 32:27; 2nd race on Saturday evening: 33:24; third race on Sunday morning: 33:37; and then 33:48 for this one.

BEFORE THE START

Got to the race location with about 35 minutes to go to start time.  The event was held at Eilan, an 'elite' community complex of residence apartments, business suites, hotel, restaurants, and shoppes.

One of the first fellows I met was Santa.  As thunderstorms were 'threatening" - but never did appear, thank goodness - it was cloudy and overcast and the temp was 72 degrees with humidity in the 90s and dew-point near 70...so Santa must've been awfully warm in his suit!

My pals Loyce and Gene...Gene is in my age group and SPEEDY, so I knew he would probably get first..which he did.

And some of the participants, volunteers, and supporters..

The guy in this photo is wearing the race shirt that participants got

Me and Virginia, Director of Carrera Races and one of my 'running crushes"...

My pal Bernadette right before the start....she did three races this weekend...and placed in all of them in her AG.

ON THE COURSE

The course was 2 laps around the Eilan complex.  Fairly hilly course - after 3 previous races, my legs did complain about this a little.

Almost immediately after we started, we had to go up the first hill

A little level after that...then the next uphill....

...and then we were heading for the 3rd uphill.....you can see some runners in the distance already on that one....

...and then we were on the largest hill on the course...which was a downhill, thank goodness...

Just a little past the half-way point for me here..

By the time I started my 2nd lap, that first hill had participant-thinned-out quite a bit

After that last photo, I then ran non-stop for the remaining 1.3 miles into the finish.

AFTER THE FINISH

LOTS of post-race goodies, living up to the Wine-and-Dine title.

Wine and beer...

Served by this lovely lady...and no, her eyes are not red from sampling the products, that's just the effect from my camera flash..

I'm not much for wine so....Yeah, beer!

Bananas, energy bars, etc, offered by this gentleman

Mmmm, sweets and goodies, served by this Sweet Lady

Flavored teas offered by this young lady...

Muffins and cookies - Cookies!  I love cookies! - offered by this volunteer

There was also spaghetti pasta offered...as "modeled' for me by these lovely lady "Happy Finishers"

"Happy Finishers" et al....

This young lady was taking a lot of photos for other people, so I thought she should have a photo of her own, and here she is with Santa..

Award winners had a photo taken in front of this lighted Christmas tree...

Bernadette, Loyce, Gene and I with our Age Group medals

EPILOG

Love this race!  I try to do it every year it's been offered...this was the 3rd annual race for this one.    And, of course, since I am retired military and it supports the Wounded Warrior Program, it is also personal for me.  Nice course - challenging, but nice - and always GREAT post-race goodies at this one.   Also, always lots of nice folks doing this one, it was a pleasure meeting and interacting with them.   And, of course, MUCHO thanks to Carrera Races for putting on great events, and for all the volunteers, sponsors, etc. who help make them all happen.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Definitely nice post race goodies and a good cause.  Looks like a keeper.

Little Blue

Scotty, I'm just impressed that your times for the four races were that close.  That's a lot of hustling and bustling for one weekend!!

happylily

I agree with Little Blue, your finish times are impressive given that you raced four time during one weekend! Congratulations on your AG win! I love that pic of you and your friends with all your medals. What's Santa doing in Texas this time of the year? Shouldn't he be busy loading his sleight with all the gifts he's about to deliver? Or has he gone the UPS way and he decided to retire in Texas? He sure looks younger without his long white beard.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Pass that man a beer, you sure were drenched in that one pic!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Pass that man a beer, you sure were drenched in that one pic!

Yeah, thunderstorms threatening....99% humidity, 72 dewpoint, temp of 68 degrees!  Sweat, sweat, SWEAT!   Shoulda worn my singlet!

delicate flower

LOL @ Vinny smoking a cigar before the race.  

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

LOL @ Vinny smoking a cigar before the race.  

Not only did he smoke it before the race, he walked the course and smoked the thing the entire way!