Beginners and Beyond

WWW.WednesdayPenguins.run (Read 39 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Zelanie - ahh microbrews, a wonderful post run recovery meal!

Bin - good news that DD's levels are coming down.

Yesterday Jimmy brought up pumpkin foods. Around here we have something called a "pumpkin roll". Its a thin pumpkin sheet of pumpkin cake that has a layer of cream cheese spread on it and then rolled up. When you look at it from the end it is about 3 inches in diameter.

Yesterdays 10x200 intervals went well - ran 8.2 miles altogether. Today will be an easy 4.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, good job on that 10 x 200... Sound tough.. I lost concentration when I am on my 5-6 rep..

AFM, I write late on yday daily that DD jaundice level has come to a reasonable level.. Just below level for admission but the doc classified as very low risk.. We will do one last blood test on sat to confirm she's finally given the green light.. Managed to wake up slightly early to put in 6 very easy miles..

On pumpkin, there's a chinese dessert that I like a lot.. it's a combine of yam and pumpkin.. Definately a try if you are into sweet stuff..

http://www.tottstore.com/recipes/details/classical-teochew-yam-paste-with-sugar-cured-pumpkin-and-gingko-nuts

Recipe for those Jamie Oliver in the house..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Awesome workout!  Do you want to ship me a pumpkin roll for my carbo load next week?

Bin - I'm glad to hear that the baby is headed in the right general direction.  How's your cough?

AFM - I had a really nice run last night, but it was 38 degrees and raining.  It may have been good practice for the marathon.  It could get nasty that day.  You never know in Indiana.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Awood, still coughing.. The previous cough lasted abt 4-5 weeks.. I am on week 2 on this round.. Finger crossed.. I am still able to do my hard workout but was wary of pushing too hard..  Did you mentioned you MP? Might have missed it.. How's the taper?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning

Gus -- I like pumpkin roll!  Good job on the intervals -- you've earned an easy 4 today

Bin -- glad to hear that babyBin continues to improve.  Just keep feeding her and she will send it out the other end

Awood -- 38º and rain sounds miserable.  I hope you have better weather for the main event.

AFM -- Just a short 3.5 mile tempo run tonight.  At this stage of my plan I'm doing more "fast" runs than distance.  It's kind of fun.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - I'm following the 3:50 pace group.  They don't have a 3:45.  My last 20 mile run was at 8:45.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - Faster running is definitely fun.  When do you race next?  I'm barely in the loop any more.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Speedwork this morning. I did a workout that mothaudio suggested to start trying to get faster for some hopeful 10K and 5K PRs in November. I jogged about a mile (the long way down to the flat jogging path by the water) then did 7.5 minutes @ HM pace (I decided on 10:30...  my actual HM was 10:48 pace but I adjusted for hills and walk breaks), 7.5 minutes at 10K pace (I decided on 9:35 because I am aiming for sub-60) then 3 minutes of jogging, then repeated the 7.5 @ HM and 7.5 @ 10K then jogged about a mile home. Ended up with 5 miles (was just about home and Garmin said 4.78 so I ran back and forth on my block lol). Was a hard workout but felt great!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - Moth is a great resource.  Keep up the good work.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 miles with hubby tonight.

Gustav, nice intervals.

Bin, now I want your dessert.

Awood, what?  It was just a little rain!  Hope the rain let up.

Phillie, enjoy the tempo run.

Kristin, nice workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk yesterday after work.   5 PM, 70 degrees, dewpoint in the 50s, very low humidity, sweeeet!  Did a mix of paved roads and off-road trails and got to treat some doggies in the park I ran in.  Ended up with 3.4 miles.  After I finished my run at the YMCA, I went into the Y and did a 45 minute weight training circuit, so got my weight training in too.  This morning I was up at 5:30 a.m. and headed to the university gym.  After my run-and-weights session last night, not sure how my legs would feel this morning, but surprisingly I felt really good.  I ended up with 3.5 miles today.  The weather helped too, I think.....50 degrees out, no wind, clear skies with bright stars shining, very nice!

Glad your intervals went well, Gustav! Enjoy the easy 4 today! "Pumpkin Roll"...sounds like some kind of Halloween race contest.  Big grin

Glad to hear your DD is doing better, Bin.

38 degrees and raining, that sounds very chilly, Awood.  Way to get out there.

Congrats on your tempo run, Margo.  I'm doing slow runs and no distance, lol.   I guess I make up for that with races...I'm doing 3 this weekend.

Way to go on your workout, Kristin, and good luck with your racing goals!

Wow, Damaris, your hubby got up in the a.m. and did a morning run with you for 4 miles?  Impressive!   You're turning him into a hard-core runner.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  RD today- DD has a choir concert.

Gustav- Nice job on the intervals!

Bin- So glad that DD is getting closer to the safe zone!

Awood- Glad you had a good tempo!  I'm mad at your race for not having a 3:45 pacer since that's my BQ time!  They should have a pacer!

Margo- Glad you're enjoying the RW plan!  I'm still not sure whether I prefer the idea of base building and then going to faster runs, or starting with faster runs and building to speed + endurance a la Daniels.

kristin- Nice workout!  The other way to figure paces, if you have a race time (any distance) that you feel like is a good representation of your current fitness, you can plug it into a running calculator and it will give your paces.  For example, your "HM pace" might be faster than what you actually ran your HM in, at least for training purposes.

D- Sounds like a good run!

Docket_Rocket

Wow, Damaris, your hubby got up in the a.m. and did a morning run with you for 4 miles?  Impressive!   You're turning him into a hard-core runner.

It's tonight!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Gustav - That sounds delecious!

Kristin - Great job on your speed work!

AFM - I took a URD lastnight and went and picked up some pizza and cheese sticks and proceeded to watch the Halloween special of Pretty Little Liars and Ravenwood. Yes, I understand I'm a grown ass man, yes I understand Pretty Little Liars is more of a girl's show, and yes I'm addicted to it! So deal with it! Will have to find time to watch Biggest Loser and SHIELD which also came on lastnight at some point, have them DVR'd. Tonight's shows are Arrow, Revolution and The Tomorrow People, again will probably have to watch them this weekend is we just don't have time to watch 3 shows in one night. I think we pretty much have shows Sun - Thurs. Nothing seems to come on Fri and Sat.

Have a speed type workout planned for tonight. 40min at steady state. According to McMillian my steady state should be between 8:50 and 9:15. We will see how that goes tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.