Beginners and Beyond

Like a moth to an open flame. MTA - now signed up (Read 146 times)

No more marathons

Bat shit crazy?

If any of you have read any of my previous posts, you already know that I dislike any distance much over 15K (although I’ve run 3 marathons in the last 9 months), don’t like hills and or trails (which usually have lots of the former).  And yet I’ve run the Grandfather mountain 5 miler for the past 5 years (1500 feet straight up) , the Rock 2 Rock, arguably one of the toughest 10K trail races around, and several other trail races in the Western North Carolina hills over the past few years.  And now I’m considering a 30K trail run this Saturday.

Am I bat shit crazy, or am I the moth attracted to the open flame?  Either way, here’s hoping DW talks me out of this when I get home tonight.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

You like a good challenge, good for you! Nothing crazy about that. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Either way, here’s hoping DW talks me out of this when I get home tonight.

Unlikely seeing as how the idea has already laid an egg in your head.  Now let's talk goal times!

Nevrgivup

Good luck! I can't help but think of Janet Jackson back in the day with this title.  Her music was very cool than. Edited because what I had written previously wasn't very lady like. Wink

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MrNamtor

Unlikely seeing as how the idea has already laid an egg in your head. 

You make it seem like a bot fly. lol.

Anyway to still blue - go for it! YOLO (sorry to use that acronym....well, not sorry enough to NOT use it, but whatever)

LRB

YOLO

If Kay was around she would punch you in the throat.

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Of course you're crazy - just like the rest of us. Big grin  Enjoy the race.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

No more marathons

Unlikely seeing as how the idea has already laid an egg in your head.  Now let's talk goal times!

No problem there - no matter what it will be a PR - Big grin - first 30K ever.

I usually underestimate the impact of trail running and consequently miss my goal by a bunch.  I think for this one my plan will be to just get in a nice long trail run.  Run - not race.  I'll shoot for 3 hrs or less;  9:15 to 9:30 pace.

He's a leaker!

Your RR will either be a celebration of your accomplishment or a cautionary tale to other challenge seeking moths.  Big grin

You have to do it now.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

MrNamtor

If Kay was around she would punch you in the throat.

Quote from LRB on 5/14/2013 at 6:21 PM:

I only had the nerve to say it because she's not here

MrNamtor

where is Kay anyway?

happylily

where is Kay anyway?

I don't know, but perfectform has disappeared as well... You can find her on Facebook, I believe. Ask D., Tomas or Dave. They'll lead you to her.

happylily

Have fun, bluesky!

No more marathons

OK, called and found out that 190 of the 200 spots were taken - so I've committed (or is that should be committed).

Now need some advice.  Given races of equal distance and equal elevation change (more on that later) what is a reasonable expectation of degradation of pace per mile on trail vs. road?  I was thinking maybe 15 seconds for the surface and another 15 seconds for not racing full out.  Using Eric's predictor, and factoring the Coef up to 1.12 (this is what gets my 10K and best recent marathon in line) I get a predicted pace of 8:19 per mile.  So adding the 30 seconds give me an 8:49 pace or a finish time of 2:44.  Reasonable?

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page