Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday -- We are Penguins, not Ninjas (Read 31 times)

Philliefan33

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm definitely not a ninja...lol

Well, I was supposed to run 30 minutes tonight.  That's not going to happen.  Yesterday, I was walking around my living room and suddenly felt as if I had stepped on a nail.  It eventually calmed down, only to happen again later in the night.  It looks like there is a bruise under the callous on my forefoot.  I'm going to rest it, and soak it at the hotel tonight.  Hopefully, I can get it calmed down.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

This morning on my way to work, in the dark, I drove by a ninja runner.  He was all in black, not a bit of reflective material on him -- I could not see him until I was within 10 feet of him.  So here's a reminder to the flock -- don't be a ninja!  Wear a vest or a blinky light or something so drivers can see you coming from far away.

Just a 3-mile tempo run for me today.  My legs have been feeling great since last week -- I hope the feeling holds through my race.

Philliefan33

Good morning Awood.  Ouch!  Soak that foot and get the bruise outta here.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I run before the sun comes up, generally, and always try to wear light colors and something reflective even though I avoid roads for the most part except for the .5 mile to the park.

awood ouch!!!! Your marathon is so close, heal up!!!

I woke up in plenty of time to run this morning with plenty of energy. Unfortunately, I also woke up with awful stomach pain. That is completely my fault. Thinking I was over the gastritis, I stopped taking the omeprezol a few days ago. Bad idea. I took my pill and waited out to see if the pain would go away in time to run. It did not SadSad I did however watch the entire 52 minute Marathon Challenge PBS special on YouTube and learned lots about what training does to my body while I laid in bed..... that's kind of like running right? Yeah, I know, not so much. I started a thread with the link to the video if anyone is interested....it's a really interesting video.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After work today, I am picking up my packet for my 5K on Halloween tomorrow night and then I will be heading to the YMCA to do a hill run in the area around the Y.  Nice to use the Y as a base, because it is raining pretty good today so I will probably get soaked on my run, so nice to have the hot showers waiting for me back at the Y.

Sorry about the foot callous, Awood.   You might go to the store (Walmart, Targeg, Walgreens, CVS, one of those) and get those pads you can use for callouses/blisters.  I've found, when I had what you had before, these things cushion the area pretty well and I was still able to run while using one of those.

I guess I am very lucky, Margo.  The areas I usually run in for my early morning running - university campus and military bases - are all very brightly lighted on every street.  And the military bases even close some of the roads to traffic for a couple of hours in the early A.M. so runners can use the streets without having to worry about any vehicles. Very nice.   I've often been running down those streets when a group of Army folks running in formation pass me by like I'm standing still, lol.  Those guys are speedy, even in formation!    Congrats on your tempo run and hope your legs continue to feel as great as they look!

Sorry about the return of the gastritis, Kristin, hope you feel better!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I run like a ninja.  The least people can see me the less likely they are going to grab me, etc. i do run on sidewalks but when I run on roads or crossing them my blinkie can blind anyone.

9 miles with hubby tonight.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 30th!

On this day in history: 

Henry VII of England was crowned king in 1485 at Westminster Abbey, finally ending the War of the Roses.

In 1775, the first US Navy was formed.  In 1864, Helena, the capital of Montana, was founded.

In 1938, Orson Welles panics the USA with a radio broadcast of HG Welles' "War of the Worlds".

In 1989, August A Busch III (Anheuser-Busch company/family founders) becomes CEO of St Louis Cardinals....beer for everyone!

In 2012, Walt Disney purchased Lucasfilm Ltd and its rights for Star Wars and Indiana Jones for $4.05 billion...Mickey...come over to the Dark Side.....

Today's Holidays

National Candy Corn Day - something I actually like!

Mischief Night - On which people play harmless (hopefully harmless) pranks on friends, family, etc, in anticipation of Halloween.  This night seems to have its beginning in Ye Olde England

Create A Great Funeral Day - Based on the book Creating Your Own Funeral or Memorial Service: A Workbook,by Stephanie West Allen, and first begun in 1999. The idea behind Create a Great Funeral Day is to think about how you would like to be remembered and to let others you love know how you’d like your life celebrated.

candy corn cartoons, candy corn cartoon, funny, candy corn picture, candy corn pictures, candy corn image, candy corn images, candy corn illustration, candy corn illustrations

candy corn cartoons, candy corn cartoon, funny, candy corn picture, candy corn pictures, candy corn image, candy corn images, candy corn illustration, candy corn illustrations

KEYWORD1  2003-11-01  holiday  halloween  tp  tping  toilet paper  bathroom  potty  tp-ing a house

KEYWORD1  2003-10-31  holiday  halloween  trick or treat  trick or treating  hoodlum  hoodlums  teen

KEYWORD1  2002-07-09  2009-08-24  cat  cats  feline  felines  dog  dogs  canine

KEYWORD1  1998-10-29  halloween  zz top  music  rock band  rock  rock and roll  hair  long hair

KEYWORD1  2012-04-01  telephone  telephones  phone  phones  cell phone  cell phones  cellphone  cell

KEYWORD1  2012-02-08  dog  dogs  canine  canines  pet  pets  animal  animals

prank cartoons, prank cartoon, funny, prank picture, prank pictures, prank image, prank images, prank illustration, prank illustrations

prank cartoons, prank cartoon, funny, prank picture, prank pictures, prank image, prank images, prank illustration, prank illustrations

KEYWORD1  2009-04-29  too bad his editor dies first  editor  editors  writer  writers  headstone  he

KEYWORD1  2007-08-17  nail  nails  door nail  door nails  doornail  doornails  coffin  coffins

funeral cartoons, funeral cartoon, funny, funeral picture, funeral pictures, funeral image, funeral images, funeral illustration, funeral illustrations

funeral cartoons, funeral cartoon, funny, funeral picture, funeral pictures, funeral image, funeral images, funeral illustration, funeral illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!  Short run this afternoon.  Hope the rain holds off.

Dad on the run.

Awood - WTF man? That's crazy. Hope your foot heals up quickly.

Phillie - Enjoy the tempo.

Kristin, scotty, docket - read the other dailies, already replied to yall Tongue

AFM - 3.6 miles pain free last night. I'm going to say it was the leg workouts that I did while doing the Jillians 30DS and then going for a run right after while my legs were still warmed up??? I dunno... I'm not complaining though! They were a bit tired / stiff but I'll take that over the pain any day.

Also, I'm a ninja! Check out my mad ninja rolling skills!!!

YEA! That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would have broken my ass trying to do that, Jimmy.

Damaris

obiebyke

jblackjr--The skillz! I'll be sure to lock my doors and windows at night so you don't sneak in and roll across the foot of my bed before karate chopping the ceiling fan. Big grin

URD for me today. I had to reschedule an appointment to tonight. Plus, it's cold and raining. I like warm and raining or cold and snowing, but not cold and raining.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Bin Running

Awood, oh no.. heal up.. 3 more days

Margo, you sure it's not a thief?

Kristin, link the video already.. hope the stomach recover soon.

Scotty, enjoy the halloween race.. dressing up? Don't believe I have tried candy corn.. weeing the witch cartoon.. having 2nd thoughts.

Docket, enjoy the run.. try not to kill thy hubby.. 9 Miles?!

Jerry, hold the weather behaves.

Jimmy, that's some ninja moves..

obiebyke, enjoy the RD..

6.5M done today.. Feeling a little strain on my right calf and on my left leg behind the knee. No sharp pain.. Just dull sprained feeling.. Oh, I run light on my fee like a ninja.. Spooked a few pple while I am running around the indoor track.. Once, the lady scream her head off..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Jimmy, that's hilarious!

Margo, it scares me to see people like that in ninja mode, wrong time to be stealthy.

Awood, get that foot well.

Today is a RD for me.

Zelanie

Morning!  Conferences tonight at DD's school.

Awood- Maybe your feet have taper madness?  I bet it is something finally healing up in there now that you're not on your feet as much.

Margo- Sounds like you are peaking at the perfect time!  Thanks for the reminder- my favorite light jacket is black, so I have to remember not to wear it even when it's the perfect thing for the temps.

kristin- Hope you feel better!

Scotty- That's such a good idea to use the Y as a base for your running so that you can get to more places!  Also, I don't think you answered last time- how are you doing on your mileage for your birthday goal?  On track?  Just because you changed your goal doesn't mean you shouldn't reach for it!

Jimmy- When I saw the pics, I thought it was going to be about how you were woorking your IT band while waiting for your foam roller.

D- Morning!  When is the next marathon?

obie- I hate cold and raining too!  But it's usually not as bad as I think it will be if I actually go out in in it.  Hope the appointment goes well.