Beginners and Beyond

Somnolescent Sunday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Somnolescent:  Half Asleep.

Which is what I am about now.  It's 1:03 a.m.  Texas Time on Sunday morning. I've been up since 5 a.m. on Saturday morning when I got up to get ready for my Saturday morning 5K, so been up for almost 24 hours, idiot that I am.   After I got up this morning and then went and did my 5K, Gail and I then went to a football game at Alamodome Stadium - yay, my local university team beat Tulane! - and then I came home and watched college football the rest of the evening - Texas Longhorns win, Va Tech beats Miami, yay! - and got so frustrated with that darn LSU the way they were playing Aladamnya, er, Alabama, that I decided to just stay up and do my race report for my 5K.

So here I am still awake - but the race report is done at least ...Race #63 for me for 2013 -  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/7065ae8903b9498f80b07c733856e280/resume#focus 

So NOW I am heading to bed and plan to sleep in a bit for Sunday morning and then I will be back to read any other race reports and the Dailies and Penguin threads for Saturday and Sunday.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Race day. I'm unusually grumpy about this race. They have randomly changed the distance (it is now 6.7 miles but they're still calling it a 10K), the start time (it has a different time on 3 different websites and I had to email to ask for a confirmation of start time twice before I got a response last night), and the price (I already paid $25 of active.com but for some unknown reason all runners need to bring a $12 check to packet pickup. Ummmmmmm?!?! If it wasn't 4 miles from my apartment I wouldn't even go.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

Morning all!

Good luck Kristin how ever far it ends up being.

To run or not to run a long run today. Not is in the lead at the moment.

hog4life

Scotty, I function half asleep all the time, I never knew it had such a technical term to describe it .

Kristin, sounds like a mess. Just make the best of It. I'm curious about the additional money too. Let us know what that's all about.

Im up early with the GS, and will be limping to church here in a little bit. My R foot is quite sore this morning, stupid PF. It didn't bother me until mile 10.5-11 during the race yesterday. When I get home from church, I'll start working on a RR.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: I know the feeling...

Kristin: just try to make the most of it.

PAD: Do it!

Hog: don't forget about the frozen water bottle.

As for me, I'm about to head out the door for 17 miles. Today I can't say I'm looking forward to it but I'm going to do it. Bleh, I'm not feeling it so far.

Have a good day.

on my way to badass

Rest day for me. I'll probably go sit in a tree later on today and wait for no deer to walk by.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

hog4life

Rest day for me. I'll probably go sit in a tree later on today and wait for no deer to walk by.

A bad day in the woods is better than a day sitting on the couch.

on my way to badass

A bad day in the woods is better than a day sitting on the couch.

So true!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Sloooow.

Thanks for starting Scotty! Hope you get some rest today. I will get to your race report. Sounds like a lovely, if not very long day.

Kristin, what a cluster. Why the $12 check? The course isn't right, they're asking for more money, I can see a lot of pissed off runners.

PADrunner, nothing wrong with a rest day. Have a great day, whatever you chose.

Mitch, sorry about your foot. How many halfs is that in the past few weeks?

Jack, hope the 17 miles works out well for you.

Stone, have a great day in the woods. Mitch is right, much better than being indoors.

tracilynn

Kristin, it sounds like they purposely don't want people to show up for this race by asking for additional $$.

stone, that's funny. Where do you live?

jack, have fun

pad, are you in a funk now since your 5k didn't go as you'd hoped?

scotty, half asleep most of the time.

Mitch, can't wait to read your RR

coralie, sounds like your 10k went pretty well. Neg split is good. When's the next one?

I was supposed to run yesterday &  I skipped it. I'm kinda in a funk right now About running.  I feel like I do all these strength exercises and BS for nothing because I just keep getting shin splints. I end up having to take a week off and starting up again always sucks (sucky runs) for a few days to get back in the groove again.  And when I get into a good rhythm the shins start hurting. I haven't done any of my stretching rolling or exercises at all Lately.  seems pointless.  Running is stupid!Angry

Big grin Have a good Sunday everyone.

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Traci, I feel for you. Is it the shoes? I live in Upstate NY near the Catskills.

hog4life

Coralie, that's 2 halfs in 2 weeks.

Traci, hang in there.

Stone, I was upstate NY once back in the early 80's, it's beautiful country up there.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  I actually ran yesterday.  I'm not talking about a recovery run, but an actual run and it felt amazing.  Now that's out of the way, I should probably slow down for the next run...lol

Anyway, I'm going to play golf today.  Believe it or not, it will be the first round I've played all year.

Congratulations to everybody that ran this weekend.  I can't wait to comment on your RR's.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Well my race ran out of T-shirts too.....you were guaranteed a shirt if you signed up at least 2 weeks before (I did) but they ended up doing it first come, first serve at packet pickup. Since there was advanced packet pickup and the duathalon races started over an hour before the 5K and 10K racers, I got screwed. Oh and there were 3 portajohns. 3. The extra $12 was apparently for insurance that they forgot to charge us when we registered. Worst organized race ever?????

BUT. I did hit 6.2 miles in 59:55. So if it was a real 10K I would have been sub-60 most likely Big grin. Official time for the 6.7 mile race 1:04:05. Best news is I placed 30th overall out of 75, 14th female out of 48, and 3rd in my age group of 25-29 year old females out of 14!!!! My first AG place!!! But they didn't give out trophies or any award. Only for overall, not even male and female. Oh well..

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to