Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Where Inquiring Minds Want To Know... (Read 264 times)

Nevrgivup

Checking in as I haven't been in much lately. I did my 3.7 miles today out in the cold and it was COLD. Still thawing out. Very happy about my run today. My pace is dropping a bit. Still babying myself though and taking it slow. I hope everyones injuries heal up soon!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Misty

What sometimes helps me is making sure I keep the shins warm and plenty of stretching of the lower calf.

Will do! I'm planning on doing the PT exercises immediately before the run, calf stretches, and try out my new CEP compression sleeve during the run. Fingers crossed.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Pinktastic

Good Morning, Runners!!

Y'all have been busy this morning!!

LRB – Love the pic! Thanks for getting us started today! And, nice run this morning!

Basya – Great workout this morning (as usual)!

Kay – I hope that you enjoy Spin class. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Jeep – Have a great run later!

Weezer – Nice run! Hope you've found plenty of coffee by now.

Fla – OMG! That's awful humidity! Good for you for getting out there and getting it done!

Baboon – You always make me laugh! Glad that you were able to find the correct battery in the end. Try to take it easy tonight – too many wild adventures like that could have negative repercussions....

Damaris – Hope the swelling in your arm improves significantly today! Good luck with your 9 later!

Ami – Good luck with your race! Hope the ITB issues are completely healed by then!

Kristin 10185 – Damn stairs!! Feel better soon!

Kristin 79 – Holy crap, that's cold! I would have taken a rest day too!! Hope your calves heal quickly!

Step – I'm always tempted by coffee / products with coffee in the evenings. It sounds so delightful and almost wickedly indulgent to have it in the evening, but I try to refrain.... Hopefully, more coffee this morning will help (hare of the dog kinda thing....) Have a great run inside today!

Dave – Great runs! I can't believe how fast you are!!

Lilac – Glad to hear that you seem to be on the mend! Enjoy your workout video later!

Lily - -25C? Sounds like hell has frozen over!! Bundle up for your run later!

April – Hope you're able to get that run in today! And, my what an odd animal to have in your dream! Armadillos are mean!! Regarding the 50K, do it! Do it! Do it!!

Tom – Have a great run later! I think of Moth when I'm trying to end my runs with a bit of speed. :-)

Misty – May your shins never figure out that you've taken them out for a run. What they don't know, won't hurt 'em!!

Heidi – Wishing you a beautiful run later! Hope your ITB is pain-free!

Gustav – Can't wait to hear some good news from the doctor! You're doing a wonderfully at staying active while on IR!

Scotty – They're predicting snow here too. My theory is that, if they predict it, it will not come. Nice racing on New Year's Day – you're an animal!!

Scrape – Enjoy your rest day!

Flippy – I'm glad that yoga helped your hip yesterday. Hopefully another day of stretching and no running will get you healed up completely so that you can get back in action!

Hilary – Great run this morning! I'm so happy that you're able to run consistently again!

I ran 4.25 on the TM after work yesterday.   Wore my new shoes for the first time and they're awesome!!    i also ran 6.25 outside this morning.   It was 30 degrees, with a "feels like" of 22.    My conclusion after today's run is that I don't have enough cold weather running stuff - I was wearing compression shorts, a running skirt, an UA long sleeve with a tech short sleeve over that, a headband to cover my ears and cheap knit gloves from Target.   My ears were fine the whole time, my hands were pretty darn cold, and my knees were frozen solid - felt like I was the Tin Man and I needed to oil them!   But, all in all, I much prefer running in the cold to running in the heat / humidity.

Have a Pinktacular day, all!!    And, may your next run be your best so far this year!!

- Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Good morning friends,

I did my 5 hilly miles this am. It wasn't too painful. It was a pretty boring run. I usually see something  interesting while running out in the country.

Btw- how many daily regulars are there? Personals are much harder here than the penguin threads.

Make today great,

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Better I Leave

5.1 miles last night with and average pace of 8:48. No running today or tomorrow and I've got a 10K in Roseville Saturday morning.

Flippy- My PT is having me do leg lifts for my hips.  He stressed that form is important, though- make sure your not lifting your legs forward when you're doing them.   He suggested doing them against a wall and making sure your heel slides along the wall, with your toe pointed slightly forward.  He also has me doing a kind of a "bridge"- lay on your back with your legs bent, then lift your hips up in the air, hold it for 10 seconds (work your way up to doing it about 20 seconds at a time).

Heidi- I don't think the calves are a big deal, just a little soreness.  For some reason they really speak up when I've taken time off and I really did a number on them when I started back up after my break this fall, so I'm just being cautious.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

runmomto3boys

Gustav: I am so hoping you get some good news - you are due some!!  Fingers crossed!

Scrape: Enjoy your off day!

April: Ohhh, you are kidding?!?!  I'm so excited for you - that is too perfect!  You must do it!

Flippy: Smart idea to rest until the hips are better, and work on strengthening in the meantime.  I hope that by tomorrow the hips are feeling better.  You've been doing great with the yoga, though - that is wonderful, especially with your schedule and how hard it is to fit in "extras" like that.  Keep it up!

Misty: You are throwing everything at those shins!  I hope all of the exercises/stretches/sleeves help some!  Fingers crossed!

Hilary: Very nice run today - yay!

Sarah: Some great running there!  I am glad the shoes are working out.  Shopping for new running clothes?!??!?!  Ohhh, one of my fav things to do.  Hehe!

T-Rod: Excellent job on the 5 miles today!

Pine Grove Dad: You too!  Another great 5 miler last night.  Good luck at that 10K this weekend!!

DVD done - core/hips/flexors/quads/glutes/blahblahblah done.  + an extra hip section for good measure.  Going to squash this IT band garbage one way or another.

Docket_Rocket

Great runs, everybody.  You are making me wish it were 6pm already.  I think you guys keep me going out the door even when I feel like shit (as today).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

Pine Grove Dad: You too!  Another great 5 miler last night.  Good luck at that 10K this weekend!!

Muchas gracias. My last 10K came in at 59:04...I'm aiming to beat that. Smile

Happy Thursday everyone, I didnt make it to the gym yesterday or get to run......tending to a sick wife(the flu). Trying to stay as far away as possible. The doc told her that 75% of the household will have it, so chance are either my son and or I will have it by the end of the weekend. :-(.........maybe if i run fast enough it wont catch me.

Anyway, heading to the gym for a workout and many 3 on the treadmill.

Have a great one!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

@runjerseygirl

Spin class done.  13 miles in 38:23 (including warm up and cool down).  Man, we really got a workout, too.  Our instructor is awesome.  She had us doing hill repeats.  Both low grade and steep.  I'm thinking about keeping Thursday spin classes as a part of my regular routine.  She mentioned incorporating some higher endurance workouts into the classes to help me and my RP (who does spin with me) with our half marathon training.  I'd like to see how that works out.

I needed this hard cardio workout today, too.  Not running since Sunday has put me in a crappy mood.  This helped.

Do you even run?

StepbyStep-SH

I did half of my workout - 6 easy miles on the track that felt OK, though my lungs started to get a bit tight around 4-5 miles in. Not too much coughing after, but still enough congestion that I didn't want to submit the rest of the class to my hacking, so I skipped the strength class. Black bean and lime chili for lunch, and an afternoon and evening of hot tea (herbal, decaf!) planned.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

The run is done!

4.1 miles, easy pace, 9:04 overall including 0.1 mile sprint at the end at 6:37 pace. My sprint speed is improving. The run felt good - felt like I could have gone on a few more miles, but I wanted to save myself for tomorrow's interval work.

Get well soon, Step! Just getting over a cold myself, but the cough is lingering.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

runmomto3boys

Muchas gracias. My last 10K came in at 59:04...I'm aiming to beat that. Smile

I was going to ask you about your goal, but I didn't want to appear nosy!  You are going to crush that.

Sparker: I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope you and the kiddos avoid the bug.

Heidi, I hope that your run goes well.

Rick, nice!

Gustav, I hope the appointment brings good news.

scottydawg, cool races.

scrape, enjoy your rest day.

AprilRunner, do it!

FlippyNoodle, I hope that another day of rest takes care of things.

Hilary, kudos for braving this cold. I'm happy that you're doing better.

ImaRunnah, I hope it goes well.

Sarah, great runs.

Tomas, excellent job on the hills.

Heidi, that sounds like a great workout.

Scott, enjoy your run. I hope that DW feels better soon.

Kay, I'm happy that spinning went well.

Tom, nice run.