Beginners and Beyond

Back from the dead Penguins! (Read 49 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

WASSSSSUP!!!!! Guess who is back, like for real back, not like a pop my head in and say HI kinda back either, but really truly honest to God back. ME! WOO WOO. So things have been going pretty good. Been having a hard time getting my eating habits back on track since vacation so I'm back up over 200 by just a few pounds Sad Oh well...

I've also found me a new interest that I've been doing now for 3 weeks... weightlifting! Been working out with my cousin 3x a week. All I can say is I'm weak, but I'll get there.

Finally ran lastnight. The last run I did was the Ram Run at Oak Mnt State Park, that was Jun 22. So its been 1 full month since I ran last. I decided to get out there and do a 1 mile time trial just to get a feel for where I'm at and I ran a 7:55 so not to shabby Smile. My next 2 miles were the usually 9:30ish m/m that I usually stick to. Run felt great, legs aren't happy this morning though, not to mention I did chest and shoulders lastnight so I"m pretty much full body sore today.

Hmmm what else... Oh! My wife and I finally decided to get cable TV again. All I can say is... its nice. We don't watch a lot of TV but its nice having it when you just want to relax and do nothing. Plus I missed last years season of American Ninja Warrior.

Think that about sums up my absence Wink

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Welcome back.  I bet you're sore after taking a few weeks off, and going right into a 1 mile time trial.  Congratulations on the new activity (not the television).  Sounds like you're back just in time to start training for the fall.  Have a good one.

AFM - I just got back from my morning run.  Started out with a couple of real easy miles, and followed it up with 3 X 1200 intervals with 5 minute recovery jogs.  Feeling pretty darn good.  I don't really use a track, or try to figure out 1200 meters though.  I just know the pace I'm supposed to be at, and how long I should be running it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 X 400m tonight.

Jimmy, glad to see you back.

Awood, nice morning run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.Jimmy, AW, and D.  Happy National Hot Dog Day !!!  More run/walking after the gym.

Bin Running

Jimmy, welcome back. Cable tv is god-send. Let see some muscle shot after 2 mths.

Awood, good job on the intervals.

Damaris, enjoy the 5x400 later.

Jerry, enjoy the run/walk.

9M with 10 x 100 strides done at indoor track.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GM friends- well i ordered some more shoes. I had bought some shoes that looked cool and were not as much support as I need. My ankles are sore as hell. I have had them for like 2 weeks, but for some reason yesterday's run didnt feel right. So i ditched my run this am. Hopefully my new shoes are in on the 25th like the RW website said.

Jim - welcome back.

AWood- Do you like that speed work stuff?

D- What else do you get to do with your 400's? how hard are you supposed to do them?

Jerry- I will take a hotdog. I skipped breakfast this am and its already haunting me and its only 8am.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Bin Running

Tomas, hope the new shoes helps. What's that cool shoes that is causing your problem?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Tuesday!  Bizarre Holidays for today,  July 23, are:  “Gorgeous Grandma Day” and “Hot Enough For Ya?” Day.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

W/b jimmy!  That's a fast one miler.

Bin, how long are you gonna streak?

Tomas, hopefully they will have the new shoes soon.  What did you get?

Awood, nice run!

Docket, were the hokas on RW new ones?  Most of them say "new" above the pics

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Will do it! Smile That is of course if my cousin don't kill me first. I was hoping by the third week I would'nt be sore but then he decided to change things up and WOW what a workout.... I had a hard time taking a shower because my shoulders and chest was so sore I could'nt reach around myself...

Jimmy, welcome back. Cable tv is god-send. Let see some muscle shot after 2 mths.

Awood, good job on the intervals.

Damaris, enjoy the 5x400 later.

Jerry, enjoy the run/walk.

9M with 10 x 100 strides done at indoor track.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Hey Traci! Thanks Smile

BTW that picture you posted on FB of you kayaking, you look great! Just sayin'

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

Storms woke me up at 5 am then the 4yr old crawled in bed too Dead Got up at 6:15 and ran 3.4 miles.  Nice and cool "feels like" of 78 after the storms and the sun stayed behind the clouds too.

I ordered some new under armour compression shorts(on back order boooo) and some clearance kinvara 3s from RW.

Take care everyone!

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Hey Traci! Thanks Smile

BTW that picture you posted on FB of you kayaking, you look great! Just sayin'

Blush  Awwww thanks Jimmy, made an old lady happy Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Weight training after work yesterday.  Whew!  A 3-week layoff from that can sure get you!  My legs did fairly well - guess all the running helps keep them fairly strong - but wow, I could tell the difference in my upper body work.  I did not want to push it so just used light weights on the machines and did one set of 20 reps on each machine.  Got to build back up to where I was before I got lazy!

This morning I was up at 4:45 and off to the Y.   Did a hill run in the area around the Y,  - 4 hills of varying size - ending up with 3.4 miles.  The longest hill was the Zoo Hill, right across from the entrance of the San Antonio Zoo, goes up for about 1/2 mile, and I KILLED that hill, got up it in good order, nonstop.  Very nice outing, but also very sweaty as the temp even that early in the morning was already 78 degrees, 83% humidity, and dewpoint of 74.  Even so, glad I got my run in this morning because here in San Antonio we are predicted to hit 100 degrees actual temp, as our high for the next FIVE days in a row. Shocked  Looks like I will be doing morning runs till the end of summer!

Welcome back, Jack!  Good luck with the weightlifting, I can relate to the 'weak' part!

Nice running, Awood!

Good luck with the intervals tonite, Damaris. Hubby running with you now?

Jerry, you are running again now?  Good luck with the run/walk.

Congrats on the strides, Bin.   Hope your weather is behaving.  Isn't typhoon season coming up pretty soon in the Pacific Rim?

A COOL 78 degrees sounds heavenly, Traci.  Congrats on your run.  Hope your new gear gets to you quickly!  "Old lady", yeah, right, Traci....as Jimmy said...any photos I've ever seen of you....if you ARE an old lady, you sure have 'preserved" well!  I'd sure chase you at a race!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt