Beginners and Beyond

No Socks Day Thursday Penguins (Read 29 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Nice holiday, because today it's supposed to get up to 78 in Minneapolis! Yesterday and tomorrow were only 65. Storms, though. I love a good thunderstorm when I'm not looking to run. Speaking of, today is a RD. My W6D2 went` great yesterday. I even accidentally ran 11 minutes instead of 10 for the last interval. Have a good day!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I am definitely going to get wet on my run/walk today after work because San Antonio has a 70% chance of showers today and I just refuse to run on a treadmill or indoor track, so it is outdoors for me today with a planned 3 - 4 miles.  At least we are very warm here - in the 80s today - so it will be a nice refreshing rain I'll be out in.    Last night Gail and I went to the Y after work and I got my weight-training circuit done while she got trained by the "Wellness Coach" at the Y to do the weights she needs to do to help her reach her specific goals.   They also gave her a weigh-in and she was all freaked out because she is 125 lbs...and now thinks she's 'fat'...ummm, please!  Y'all have seen her photos, she is definitely not fat.  I told her all that yoga she is doing she has probably put on a bit more lean muscle which weighs more than fat.  But in the case of 'fat', will a wife listen to a husband?  Of course not!    So she's shooting to get down to 115 - 118.    As if she does not look great already, she is very toned with all that yoga.

Glad your training program is going well obiebyke!   Well, I've got socks on today, but I'm not wearing any...wait...that might be TMI, never mind.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good RD Obie.

Careful on the wet run, Scott.

RD for me.  Weekend starts at 1:00 and then going to the health club.  Have to remember to get M Day card from Dollar Tree.

Philliefan33

Good morning.

Obie, good to hear that C25K is working for you.

Scotty -- 125 pounds is not fat, but Gail might be worried more about a trend than the actual numbers.  She's a smart lady -- it's easier to lose 5-7 pounds that 15-17.  Oh, and from yesterday -- I know that an $8 haircut is very inexpensive.  It's my husband who thinks it's too much to pay.  Hence I cut his hair at home -- #8 on the top, then 5-3-2 down the sides.  I'm getting good at cleaning up the edges to a nice even level, so now I threaten to carve the Phillies logo into the back of his hair.  He always says NO.

Jerry , you big spender you!  Mom gets a card from the dollar store?  I at least bought Mom's card at Target.

No running today, but probably some yoga tonight.  DD is making dinner and then DH and I are headed to the mountains.

Here's a tip that someone taught me a few years ago:  when you have college-aged kids home for the summer or living with you, require them to plan and cook dinner at least one night per week.  It lightens the work for the parent who usually does the cooking, the kid gets to practice cooking, and everyone gets a little variety in the menu.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just the fact that I didn't have to come up with an idea and cook is enough for me.  The first summer we instituted this rule in our house, both daughters were home and started competing with each other to make the "best" meal.  We had some good food that summer!

PADRunner

Morning, 4 done. Should have been intervals but just didn't feel it. My calves were stiff most of the 4.

Finished my run and it rained! More of a sprinkle but I got wet and it felt great after swimming through the humidity.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Did 8 miles in horrid weather (my lungs are trying to recover now).  Pilates later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I have track club here with the kids this AM, so 2ish miles, then the social run after work.  It's been a while since I haven't had a meeting or something on a Thursday night, so looking forward to it.  I am hoping that the rain stops so that the kids can run outside.  They don't bring a change of clothes, so we can't really send them out in the rain like we would for ourselves.

obie- You must be rocking the C25K to not notice the extra minute!

Scotty- I agree, Gail looks great in the photos you post.  And I would be thrilled to be 125 lbs!  Not sure that I'm willing to do what it takes to get there though.

Jerry- Dollar tree is acceptable for the card, but I hope you have something else planned as well!

Margo- That sounds like a good tip.  I'd like to do something similar with my high schooler, actually.  She enjoys cooking, the problem is finding a night when we're all actually home!

PAD- Glad you got out there and got some miles in.  My 6 were kind of like that yesterday.  I just kept thinking of the Hanson's book where they say that you get some of your best benefits from the easy runs when you get out there even though you don't feel like running.

obiebyke

I am! Thing is, my fitness is past C25K. I'm mostly using the program to limit impact coming back from an injury.

obie- You must be rocking the C25K to not notice the extra minute!

Zelanie

I am! Thing is, my fitness is past C25K. I'm mostly using the program to limit impact coming back from an injury.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you're not doing wonderfully!  Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Weather tonight dictates bike or run for me.  (Gotta wait & see)

Jerry - Thanks for the dollar-tree idea!!  I've been buying my cards at Target for years and we used to have a local "paper company" that had great deals on cards, but they've since been bought out and while they're still a paper company, they ditched greeting cards. (booo!!)  Between the moms, stepmoms, grandmas & great grandmas, I think I spent close to $30 on JUST FREAKING CARDS this year!!!

I feel like a rape victim. 

I do not advise running without socks, btw.  Socks, FTW!!!! 

Randy

obiebyke

Yeah, spending $30 is nothing like being a rape victim. Not funny.

I feel like a rape victim. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was really good and lots of fun, so woo-hoo!!  I did play with the dogs for five or ten minutes when I got there, and later found a tick crawling on my shoulder, so 'tis the season!!  Check yourselves over after you've been outside, and annoint yourselves and the pets!!  Tonight is the chorus Installation Dinner, where we install our management team for next year, so that's always nice.  I think I should get my 10-year pin tonight, so looking forward to that!!

obie -- it's definitely getting to the time of year where I'd rather wear sandals to work!  I have to keep shoes in my office and socks in my backpack, though, because I can't wear open sandals in the lab.  Woo-hoo for your C25k run!!

scotty -- There are very few women out there who are happy with their bodies.  Which is a total freakin' crying shame, IMHO.  I agree that Gail is gorgeous!!

Jerryb -- we mailed out our MD cards yesterday -- hoping they'll reach their destinations on time!!

Phillie -- that's a GREAT rule!!  Now DH and I need to find some college-age kids ...

PAD -- I HATE stiff calves!!  They just put the kibosh on the whole experience.

Docket -- you haven't started running in the bubble yet?

Zelanie -- enjoy the social run!!

redrum -- I run in VFF's, when I run.  No socks for me!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Got 3 in yesterday and hoping for 5 today once it clears up a bit.  I have to go pick up race bibs today for the 10k I'm running with DH on Saturday.  Thankfully I have no students today.  Now that it is testing season I've been working 6 days a week, so I'll take a random Thursday off :-)

Obie - nice that you could exceed the plan :-)

Scotty - how tall is your wife?  I have a friend who is 4'11 and so 125 is a little chubby for her.  Women will always fret about their weight.

Jerry - nice of you to get a card.  I'm thankful I'm not from a "card" family so I don't have to remember these things.  A phone call is enough :-)

PF - that's a great idea.  There are way too many kids from the current generation who can't cook.

PAD - sometimes it is good to just rest

Zel - track club meets in the AM?  Is this the high school team or something else?

redrum - you need to adopt the no cards at all policy =)

hsm - 10 year pin is awesome :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So far the heavens have not opened up around here yet.  Maybe it will hold off until after my run, but I dunno...weather guy is predicting rain between 2 and 10 pm...and I get off work at 4 pm, am usually out on my run by 5 pm...great.

No rain yet but  is VERY humid though, over 80 percent, dewpoint in the 70s - not as bad as what Damaris has, but still bad enough for around here.  Our weather highs and lows for the upcoming week:

Hope you had fun at the health club, Jerry!  Must be nice to have a long weekend every week.

Margo, just cut the logo in when he's asleep and can't say no.    Enjoy the trip to the mountains.

Congrats on getting your miles in, PAD.

Sorry about your horrid weather, Damaris. It's got to be hard to breathe down there in your stuff, and especially with asthma.  I don't know how you do it every day.

Heck, Zelanie, they're just little kids, right?   Send them all out in the rain nekkid to play and run, I bet they'd love that, and then their clothes would still be dry to get back into.  Dunno about the parents liking it though... you might get some 'feedback'.... it's probably a very good thing I'm not a teacher...

Hope your weather cooperates, redrum. Yeah, I ran without socks once...not a good idea...took a couple of my blisters after that a long time to heal.  I dunno how barefoot runners do it...I couldn't do it, run barefoot or without socks...I got wimp feet, lol.

scotty -- There are very few women out there who are happy with their bodies.  Well, HsM, I'm very happy with Gail's body.    Uggg, ticks, yuk!  Glad you found the little sucker and got it removed from your person.  Congrats on 10 years with your chorus!

Hope your weather behaves for you too, sapf!   Gail is 5 ft 4 inches.  She looks great but still frets about what she thinks is her extra pounds.  Yet, she has a really great core from doing all that yoga. One weekend when we were relaxing at home, she was lying on the floor taking a nap, Looking at her firm abs, I thought to myself "I bet you could bounce a quarter off those things."  Then, of course being a guy, I had to try it, lol, since the idea was now in my head.  Yes, men are idiots at times.  So I got a quarter...and sure enough it did bounce off her abs!  Of course, she woke up when the quarter hit her and was like...'What in the hell are you doing?! Get away from me you idiot!"    Still worth it. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt