Beginners and Beyond

Super Spiffy Saturday Penguins (Read 22 times)

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I'm off to do 4 miles at recovery pace and tonight I am taking DD and a friend to see One Direction. Wish me luck.

Enjoy the weekend.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy S'mores Day, Mickey and Jack.  Enjoy the concert Jack.

Runwalking later this morning, hopefully by the Lake.

Hey!

Zelanie, I haven't had a chance to go back and read updates. On Thursday was in the middle of posting a quick *hug* and hope Mia is ok post to you, and got some grief about being on the computer. I never did get back to that post. I still hope Mia is ok. I'll go back and read, but know you have been on my mind!

This morning's run was an exciting adventure! About 2 miles in, I heard a helicopter that kept getting closer and closer and closer behind me. Suddenly it was right in front of me and turned around to face me. It was really low and it seemed like the pilot was trying to run me off the sidewalk! I was running next to a field of soybeans (I think), and I suspect the helicopter was there to spray pesticides. I didn't need any encouragement to leave, but man, I stepped it up to get out of the way. I was almost past the field anyway when the helicopter "charged" me . It was nuts! A little too "X-Files"-like for my real life experiences. Smile I feel bad for the runner who was a quarter mile or so behind me. 4 miles done, now I get to finish preparing my house for a pirate party!!

From the Internet.

6.02 miles done! That is my new longest run ever so yes, the last 0.02 is important Big grin The first 2-2.5 miles were rough - two workouts the day before a long run was maybe not my greatest idea. Downed a chocolate whey shake and I feel more or less like a human again. Will come back for personals later, off to to soak in an ice bath and get some coffee/breakfast.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

That was an exciting run Mickey.  Exciting for us is the bikers passing at 20  mph without a courtesy shout.  Think I'll get a shirt that says "Runner on Your Right" on the back.

Lauren, sounds like the leg is better, yes?

I just ordered new shoes from Running Warehouse for $61.95!! I got 15% off clearance price, so I bought a new pair of Ghost 5s. Considering my first Ghost 5s were $110, I'd say this is a steal. Coupon code is FB15D, if anyone is interested, and I think it's only good for clearance items.

Jerry - bikes freak me out. Lucky for me, they usually stick to the street and I'm usually on the sidewalk. I like the shirt idea!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  20 miles done this morning.  Even at 5am the weather was 88F and 75DP. Maybe I should start running at midnight?  Ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Well, I'm a little sore from my spill yesterday.  My left shoulder is the worst part.  I did 2 miles easy, and then some 6 minute temp bouts with 1 minute recovery jogs.  Then, a couple of cool down miles.  Tempo pace was about 7:30-7:40 per mile.  So, that felt pretty good.

Here's the kicker though.  I went past the area where I tripped the other morning.  It wasn't the sidewalk that I tripped on.  Somebody has a coax cable and telephone line running from the pole to their house across the sidewalk.  Seems odd for a neighborhood full of houses that are just short of mansion status, but there it was.  I guess if I'm not 100% next week, I might have to send someone a doctor's bill.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SO I have sucked at both running and posting this week. I haven't run since Tuesday. Knee is fine, but I literally have not had time. That is not an excuse. I have had SO MUCH PAPERWORK that was due at the last day of work Friday for the summer (at my full-time job at the school....we are now on summer break for 3 weeks for the staff, a month for the kids) that my days have looked like this: Work my full-time job 8:00-3:30, go to my part-time job until 8:00 or 9:00, get home, go right to work on paperwork til 1:00 am-ish, then set my alarm for 4:00 or 5:00am and work on paperwork til it was time to get ready for work. As you can see there was literally NO time for running. I barely was getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep. But that's over now, and I have tons of free time, so hopefully I will be able to resume my training schedule!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Good morning Penguins and friends!

Hey Jack-- I hope you end up enjoying the concert too.  I bet you don't even need any luck with it  Wink

Jerry-- hopefully you'll get your lake walk it.  Sounds nice!   Yay@ new shoes!

Mickey--- Yikes.  That sounds really scary, and intimidating.  Seems they could have just put up some warning signs or something.

Lauren-- good for you!   It feels great to push further then ever before.  Congratulations!

Docket-- congratulations on the 20!  That sure is a long, long run.   Maybe you should do the midnight thing.  Who needs sleep when you're a runner, right?   I've heard in Phx the outside runners try to run @ 3:30-4ish.  Okay, I'd probably have to shoot myself or something instead.

Awood--- a Coax cable and telephone wire running across the sidewalk?  What a wonky, ghetto way of doing it.  Sounds to me like you SHOULD indeed send them the bill.

kristin--  Geez kristin, no wonder.  You hang in there, that's a lot to take care of.  Plus we're here when you do have extra time.  Hope things settle down some.

I'm taking another RD, or perhaps might do 2mile or a stair walk later.  Haven't decided yet.  I got to play designated driver last night with a friend.  We went from one club to another all night.  It'd been a long, long time since I'd done something like that.  It was actually a lot of fun, and I got home sober and safely!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Cherie, our problem is that the humidity is so high before 7am it is somewhat detrimental.  It felt worse to run in 88F and 75DP than it feels in 96F and 70DP.  And I don't have the lifestyle to wake up at 2-3am (I woke up at 4:30am today and that was pushing it!)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ugh.....I'm going to be in GA and FL from next Sunday til  the 29th. Not looking forward to runnibg in what you describe. Speaking of....I will be in Miami the 27-29th!

Cherie, our problem is that the humidity is so high before 7am it is somewhat detrimental.  It felt worse to run in 88F and 75DP than it feels in 96F and 70DP.  And I don't have the lifestyle to wake up at 2-3am (I woke up at 4:30am today and that was pushing it!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Let me know if you can FE!  Northern Florida (and even Central and West Florida) are not as bad as Miami and the Keys.  August is our worse month so be mindful of that but you might start to see the mid 80s of September. Joking

Let's plan!

Ugh.....I'm going to be in GA and FL from next Sunday til  the 29th. Not looking forward to runnibg in what you describe. Speaking of....I will be in Miami the 27-29th!

Damaris

Fundraising Page