Beginners and Beyond

Who Wears out Shoes More? (Read 60 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I bought two pairs of training shoes earlier this year - easy run shoes in March and my long run shoes in February, and they were used during marathon training. Over the last few weeks I have been noticing aches and tightness in my lower legs, I went ahead and retired my LR shoes at around 410 miles a couple weeks ago and my easy run shoes at 400 miles. I was noticing those aches and pains much more so during my runs in those shoes so I bought a new pair and immediately noticed the difference, especially around the top that surrounds my ankles. I am an over-pronator by the way.

So I am just wondering, do certain runners wear out shoes much more than others?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

It would make sense to me that a heavier runner will wear out the same shoe faster than a lighter runner.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

To be honest, I posted that choice because I ran out of options  My main question is whether overpronators and underpronators wear their shoes out faster than normal runners.....

I've tried multiple types of shoes before going to a LRS and having my gait analyzed which then told me Asics GT-2000's are best for me, which are now GT-2000 2. When I first started running I found the Brooks Ravenna's to be perfect for me, but then they were ripped away from me. So then I tried  4-5 different brands trying to figure out what would work best for me, I was constantly dealing with aches and pains in the shins, calves, knees, ankles and even my feet. Some of them were to motion controlled and would basically force my ankles inward and others weren't supportive enough... basically I had no idea what I was doing. Even the "stack height" can't be too extreme usually a 9-11mm difference is best for me.

It got me thinking so I wanted to ask around. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

IMO, it depends on shoe and the speed and weight of the runner, but also, it depends on how many you have on rotation.  Slower runners tend to go through the shoes faster (as heavier runners) from what I have seen personally and from others.  Also, if you only use 1-2 shoes on rotation, they will have to be retired quicker than if you had more on rotation and let them breathe.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This year I had 3 road shoes on rotation, and 2 trail shoes on rotation. One of the road shoes were specifically for LRs so they were only used once a week (normally).

PRs

B-Plus

IMO, it depends on shoe and the speed and weight of the runner, but also, it depends on how many you have on rotation.  Slower runners tend to go through the shoes faster (as heavier runners) from what I have seen personally and from others.  Also, if you only use 1-2 shoes on rotation, they will have to be retired quicker than if you had more on rotation and let them breathe.

Is that how you rationalize it? 

Docket_Rocket

Is that how you rationalize it? 

LOL. At this point none of them will ever be retired.

But seriously, lack of rotation will make the shoe last less.

Andrea, is this a similar or new model?  Not all shoes last the same.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LOL. At this point none of them will ever be retired.

But seriously, lack of rotation will make the shoe last less.

Andrea, is this a similar or new model?  Not all shoes last the same.

Hmmm...  2013 was when I went to get my gait analyzed, wore the Asics GT-2000's from early 2013 to March 2014 when I realized they no longer had the GT-2000's (just my luck) but had the GT-2000 2's and I figured they were the same, though I am seriously considering going back to the LRS to talk to them. But they haven't given me any problems at all, not even during marathon training. It's just weird how I began to notice aches and pains more and more once they go past 300 miles, but this is the furthest I've gotten with any pairs of shoes (400 miles).

My trail running shoes are 2 pairs of Brooks and one pair of Asics GT-2000 2 Trails for racing, again no difference or pain with the trail shoes I haven.

PRs

Little Blue

I'm neither high-mileage nor heavier, though I do slightly overpronate.  I've been in Asics 21xx for years, and am now in the GT-2000 and 2000 2.  I can definitely tell when my shoes are getting worn.  It's not visible, but mostly I can tell first thing in the morning.  When I start every day with stiff, achy feet, it's time for new shoes.  They don't hurt any other time, and I can't tell a difference when running.  But that first step out of bed in the morning .. yeah.

I'm doing well to get 400 miles on a pair, and I'm not sure why.  I run a lot of miles on the soft rail trail, the rest on asphalt/concrete.   Maybe it's just the Asics, but I don't think they last as long as they should.  When they switched to the 2000 series, I went to the LRS and tried on lots of shoes.  I should pull out the list and see if it's time to expand my shoe wardrobe.  I have one pair of GT-2000 new in the box, maybe I'll jump into something different and see if I get different results.

More importantly, who wears out tendons/ligaments/joints/muscles/bones more with bad mechanics?  #devilsadvocate

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm neither high-mileage nor heavier, though I do slightly overpronate.  I've been in Asics 21xx for years, and am now in the GT-2000 and 2000 2.  I can definitely tell when my shoes are getting worn.  It's not visible, but mostly I can tell first thing in the morning.  When I start every day with stiff, achy feet, it's time for new shoes.  They don't hurt any other time, and I can't tell a difference when running.  But that first step out of bed in the morning .. yeah.

I'm doing well to get 400 miles on a pair, and I'm not sure why.  I run a lot of miles on the soft rail trail, the rest on asphalt/concrete.   Maybe it's just the Asics, but I don't think they last as long as they should.  When they switched to the 2000 series, I went to the LRS and tried on lots of shoes.  I should pull out the list and see if it's time to expand my shoe wardrobe.  I have one pair of GT-2000 new in the box, maybe I'll jump into something different and see if I get different results.

YOU described my issues this past month so perfectly, it's like you read my mind! Except I would also sometimes feel stiff and achy at night before bed if I don't wake up stiff and achy.

Jay you are the devil's advocate, and I shall throw holy water on you 

PRs

Cyberic

That whole shoe breathing thing, I cannot relate to. I like having many in rotation to get my body accustomed to running in different shoes. But that's a different story. I think that a few minutes after a run, the midsole material is back to its normal state. Waiting a couple of days doesn't change a thing IMO. It's rubber FFS.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I think there are too many factors and you can't just pin it on one thing. As soon as you say it is the person with this mechanics there will be an exception. Just like the argument on heel versus forefoot strike. Some people are more heavy footed or may rag the foot some or have other mechanics at play as to wear. The shoe matters too, as does the surface, conditions and probably 1000 other things.

My my left shoe wears faster than my right. Im sure there are many factors as to why.

Marjorie

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think there are too many factors and you can't just pin it on one thing. As soon as you say it is the person with this mechanics there will be an exception. Just like the argument on heel versus forefoot strike. Some people are more heavy footed or may rag the foot some or have other mechanics at play as to wear. The shoe matters too, as does the surface, conditions and probably 1000 other things.

My my left shoe wears faster than my right. Im sure there are many factors as to why.

That makes sense too.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

That whole shoe breathing thing, I cannot relate to. I like having many in rotation to get my body accustomed to running in different shoes. But that's a different story. I think that a few minutes after a run, the midsole material is back to its normal state. Waiting a couple of days doesn't change a thing IMO. It's rubber FFS.

There are a lot of articles about how rotating shoes extend their life vs using the same shoe every day.  I cannot link them right now from the phone though.

Damaris

Fundraising Page