Beginners and Beyond

Terrific TUESDAILIES (Read 53 times)

LRB

It is annoying because it's never on the stupid screen you want it to be on when you look down.

Having said that, it is a great piece of equipment that is customizable to be as complex, or, as simple as you want it to be.

Boon, I fooled around with a few variations of the heart rate screen for a run or two as well.  I only run with one screen now, and I only wear the heart rate monitor for speed play.

DCDan78

Am I the only one still sporting the 305?  Granted, to most runners on the trail I probably look like Gordon Gekko on the beach with is mobile phone, but it still seems to get the job done for me.  Is the 405/410/910 that much better?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin – My garmin goes screwy every once in a while as well.  Are you doing the run in a city or in a pretty open area?

Starts on city streets, goes into a park (more trees) then down to a jogging path down by the water (no trees or buildings) and back to the streets. While there are a lot of buildings on the city streets, nothing is very tall as it is a very residential area (most everything is 2-4 stories, tops). I run some version of this route during all my runs during weekdays and never had an issue.

PS I have the FR10

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

It is annoying because it's never on the stupid screen you want it to be on when you look down.

A few extra hundred dollars and that problem goes away.

Big grin

DCDan - my husband has the 305.  It's a classic.

delicate flower

Someone brought in red velvet cupcakes today.  SCORE.

Sorry to derail.

<3

LRB

A few extra hundred dollars and that problem goes away.

Shoot, it's any wonder I bought the one that I did!  I rarely if ever buy anything for me, and when I do, have to somehow convince myself that it's okay to do so.  How in the hell does that work?  Kids, that's how.  Damn leeches.  Wink

Well, I actually ran 4.2 miles last night. pouring rain here today. Weights planned for tonight.

Ball of Fury

+1 on the leeches!!!

Shoot, it's any wonder I bought the one that I did!  I rarely if ever buy anything for me, and when I do, have to somehow convince myself that it's okay to do so.  How in the hell does that work?  Kids, that's how.  Damn leeches.  Wink

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

DCDan78, the time with the family sounds fun. Enjoy your strength training and three miles.

Damaris, have a great day, whatever you do.

outoftheblue, enjoy cross-training with the yard work.

Lily, have fun running nine miles with intervals. I hope that your internet service is fixed soon.

AprilRunner, have a great five-miler later.

billd76, enjoy weight training.

6 miles done. 33 degrees, 15 mph wind, and...where'd that snow come from?

Got my Garmin for Xmas last year, DW was just glad to have something to get me, since I generally don't want or need anything. Finally I have a hobby.

Dave

Ric-G

amik - 3:30 wake up...you deserve credit for that

pink - funny how effort/pace can feel so different one day to the next

lily - just wait til they give you a temporary rotary phone too

2 x 3 miles @ 7:22. with a couple of easy ones thrown in. have a good day all.

marathon pr - 3:16

DaveP MI, bravo on braving the snow and wind for six.

Ric-G, nice mix.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Afternoon all, today there are no plans................. unless I have time to do something tonight.

I am so sick of this cold weather, I'd like to be able to take my little guy out for a walk on the days that I don't run or maybe take him to the park or something.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I have had a busy day, and I'm not even working..

Went to General Surgery today at the military hospital and got the results of my ultra-sound:  hernia recurrence.  That's the bad news. Then Doc sent me to get both a cat-scan and an MRI to get a closer/better look at it and had me wait for the results of those.   The good news is the doc says this hernia is so small and it is under my mesh that was put in from my previous hernia surgery that he very much doubts it is going to cause me problems, get strangulated, etc, so he recommends nothing be done at this time, based on the answers I gave to his questions:  Are you in pain?  No, just some mild discomfort, very mild.   Is this stopping you from living life as normal?  Nope, can do everything I usually do, including run and my weight training circuit, without any pain or major discomfort. I told him I did a 32-minute 5K on Saturday with no problems and he laughed and said 'Dang, that's better than my 5K time."

So he will send me to the Pain Clinic to get an injection to make the 'discomfort' area feel better, and then 'we' will be in a wait-and-watch stage, and if the thing does start acting like my first hernia did, then it will be surgery time.  I asked about continued running and he said "Go for it.   As a runner, you know the drill...just listen to your body (this doc, a surgeon, is a runner too, by the way), you know it best, and you will know if something happening in it is not normal for you.  So go live your life as usual."

So I did...right after I was finished at the hospital - Brooke Army Medical Center aka BAMC (bam-cee) is where I go since I'm retired military - I headed over to the Fort Sam gym, got into my running gear, and went out and did 4.9 miles of hills in 52:53, averaging 10:49 per mile, finishing back at the gym, and then did my full-body weight training circuit.  And felt good the whole time!  So there, you dang little hernia!

Yeah, my body has to last a lifetime all right, but it sure seems that I am putting a lot of wear-and-tear on it, lol. When I first got to the clinic this morning, they gave me a form and said list all your past surgeries.  I went back and told the desk lady I needed another sheet! Big grin Doc was reviewing my info and told me "We need to bring you in sometime for the classes."  BAMC is a major military medical center, and one of the prime treatment facilities for the Wounded Warriors, but it is also a teaching hospital, and Doc jokingly said I could be a 'living classroom" for the students, lol.  He may be right, just look at what I gave him:

1954 (my birth year) - for a birth defect

1974 - left knee surgery (helicopter crash)

1975 - right hand surgery (finger nearly severed by a Filipino bar-girl..and she was trying for another guy!  Really bad aim on her part, lol)

1976 - left knee surgery (infected bone)

1982 - right foot surgery (sliced a couple toes up)

1983 - my cancer was found; subsequent surgery

1985 - elective surgery - vasectomy; and now if I slide back on my chair too fast, pressuring the scars, my voice goes up an octave or two for a bit   Joking

1993 - left knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2003 - minor back surgery, the year my spinal arthritis and degenerative disk disease flared up really bad)

2004 - right knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2005 - bi-lateral hernia surgery, hernias found on the right and left sides

Continuing since 2003, and for the rest of my life:  Epidural Spinal Injection once a quarter for my spinal arthritis

Ta Da!  Big grin

So I'm really hoping this miniscule hernia really behaves itself and I don't have to have another surgery.  I think I've had my share.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ball of Fury

Scotty:  I just wanted to say good for you!!  You have battles through a lot of health problems and are still going strong!!  As a health care provider, I see people every day who are on disability and sit around and do nothing for problems that pale in comparison to yours!!  Keep it up!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15