Beginners and Beyond

Run or rest? (Read 56 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I am debating what to do today. I know I will NOT run outside - freezing drizzle and a coating of ice.

I'm not sure whether to make the effort to get to a TM or not, because ...

Apparently I did something to my knee/left leg in general last week. That is my "bad leg" where my hip/glute tightness sometimes causes other problems. In our martial arts class last Wednesday night, we did a lot of slow kicking drills that really worked the hip and hamstring, and I had soreness the next day, but mostly just muscle stuff. Then on Thursday, I ran an ill-advised 2 miles on a really bad packed snow/ice chunks/frozen ruts uneven surface while in a bad mood (=tense muscles everywhere). I don't remember slipping or feeling any specific time that something was pulled, but it was just an uncomfortable run.

Now, since Thursday night/Friday morning, I've had stiffness through that left hamstring and the back of the knee, which is worst when I've been sitting. The two slow runs I did Saturday and Sunday actually seemed to feel better for the first few miles, but on Sunday around mile 4, I could feel it tightening up again. There isn't any sharp pain, but the knee is stiff and tight, slight pain radiating through the hamstring and hip from time to time, and some puffiness/inflammation in the back of the knee.

So, what say ye, random Internet runner-people? Run or rest?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Rest 3 days. 

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

I will likely take this advice. Lots of stretching and rolling today and tomorrow, and Wednesday I had planned to take an SRD anyway due to schedules. Sigh. Just when I was getting my mileage moving again and losing weight. Sad

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Step, you might want to avoid stretching the leg for a couple of days.  If your tendon is inflamed, stretching could inhibit its recovery.  You will not lose much by giving it complete rest.  Ice in the form of frozen peas/corn makes it easy to chill the glute and upper hamstring area or to the back of the knee.

LRB

I will likely take this advice. Lots of stretching and rolling today and tomorrow, and Wednesday I had planned to take an SRD anyway due to schedules. Sigh. Just when I was getting my mileage moving again and losing weight. Sad

The weight part can be managed by cutting calories in the meantime as you know.  I have been doing it for two weeks now and have been mad at the world.  lol

StepbyStep-SH

The weight part can be managed by cutting calories in the meantime as you know.  I have been doing it for two weeks now and have been mad at the world.  lol

I know, and I have even baked Christmas cookies without eating ANY of them. But it would be so much better if I could also run. Because for me, tired+crabby+no run = stress and stress = eat junk. But knowing that I have seen the scale move in the last 10 days makes it a little more doable.

Now I'll go eat my smart lunch of steamed green beans and grilled chicken breast.

LRB

I know, and I have even baked Christmas cookies without eating ANY of them. But it would be so much better if I could also run. Because for me, tired+crabby+no run = stress and stress = eat junk. But knowing that I have seen the scale move in the last 10 days makes it a little more doable. 

I get it.  That part sucks, especially when you are in the weight loss zone.

Rest.

I know some dumb ass who didn't rest an injury at the outset and lost a bunch of time because of it.

Better safe than sorry.

MI_Tim

Rest 6 days. 

FYP

You're not on my team, Step.  right?

LRB

StepbyStep-SH

FYP

You're not on my team, Step.  right?

I don't think so, and they are probably regretting letting me in on that challenge about now.