Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Weekendailes (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Jogging is very beneficial. It's good for your legs and your feet. It's also very good for the ground. It makes it feel needed."

--Charles Schulz, "Peanuts"

PADRunner

Morning, 4 done this morning. Now for the weekend chores.

tracilynn

I was a putz and decided to skip my run this morning and now I will hate myself all day for being a bum bc there is no way I can fit a run in today. Baseball game and neighbors 50th luau party today.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Last night's MP run (12 with 9 at MP) was really hard.  It was 88 when I went out at 7:00 and still 80 when I got back in, and of course I stubbornly refused to adjust for pace because I only have a few of these runs left and wanted to see the numbers on paper.  I was doing reasonably well through 7 and then had to make a pit stop, and after that I just couldn't get my pace back for the last 2.  Of course, by then it had gone from "mostly dark" to fully dark, and it was also hard to find my footing on the gravel path I was on.  But still, heat or not heat, it had me thinking of whether I want to re-evaluate my GMP.  Goal for yesterday's run was 9:10, I ended with an average of 9:14, with almost all of the fade coming in the last 2.  I'm sure I could have done it on a cooler day, though, but maybe it still shouldn't be this hard?

In other news, the hills at the north end of town are on fire.  Luckily we live on the south end of town, but it's still pretty intense.  So far, it looks like everybody's homes are OK, but a lot of people were evacuated last night, and of course the trails are going to be all burnt.

Hi, PAD!  Hope you had a happy birthday!

Traci- Might as well enjoy the day, then!  There's always tomorrow.

Ginny- Hope the weather cooperated for your mowing.  My plan only has a LR every other week, so I was taking full advantage of that when I moved my run to Friday. Smile  It has back-to-back 10 milers on the weekend without a LR.

hog4life

Zel, 10 miles IS a LR, lol. I hope you weren't complaining or disappointed over 4 seconds. That sounds pretty darn good to me.

Pad, nice job on the 4.

Traci, it was miserable out there this morning. Enjoy the rest of the day.

I just finished a 10.5 LR, and boy ole boy, was it hard the last 1.5 miles. The heat just sucks the life out of me! Off to do some pre vacation with DW.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 and weights tonight.

Z, you know better.  ADJUST!

PAD's birthday?  Happy Birthday (belatedly)!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Z-I wouldn't be concerned about 4 seconds withe the darkness and heat. 11 done this morning is the muggies. I could practically chew the air. It was ugly , but its done. Nap time.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

It's not really the 4 seconds, that would be silly.  It was the terrible fade for the last 2 miles that bugged me.  Mile 8 was 9:25, and mile 9 was 9:20 (salvaged a bit when I got off that gravel).

Mitch- One of the things I love about this plan is how 10 miles gets to feel kind of normal.  The first few times I had the back-to-back 10s, it felt terrible.  I spent the whole first day worrying about the second one.  Then one weekend I realized that I was ending the weekend feeling fresher than when I had started, and since then it's been good!  If I have to run one Sat. night and the other Sun. morning that still kinda sucks though.

Mitch- Nice run!  Enjoy the pre-vacation. Smile

SF- You are so ready!  Are you going to taper?

D- You are right, of course.  Enjoy the run later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning and happy weekend.  RD today and ready for a cool LR tomorrow.

We had a really scary storm yesterday, but no damage and never lost power which would have been a disaster with our water leak.  Not so lucky was  a biker on our path that was hit by a tree.  Survived, but in critical condition.  So,  hope she survives,

Enjoy your runs !!!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hey y'all.

i ran my fist organized event in the past 6 months this morning.  My time was nothing to be excited about but he fun of the event was very motivating.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

PAD - hope the chores go well.  Good job getting an early run, it's hot out there.

Tracilynn - sounds like a fun day.  The run will wait until tomorrow.

Z- I hope they get control of the fire quickly.  Central Oregon has had a lot of fires this year (one of the reasons we didn't spend as much time there this year as intended, the heat was the other reason).  You did well if you were only a few seconds off pace, after running in the dark.

Mitch - good job getting in your LR despite the heat.  What are you planning for vacation?

Damaris - another short day for you.  How is the asthma now that you're back in the sauna?

Stonefence - good work on getting out there in the humidity.  Have a cool nap.

Jerry - I though the cool weather was supposed to start for you today.  Sorry about the biker.  We have a friend in Virginia whose son was injured when a tree fell on the family picnic.  Took out 3 cars, part of the house, injured two kids and killed grandpa. Scary stuff.

Robert - what was the race?

AFM:  when we walked Ben it was 85 feels like 97 - yech.  I'm glad we mowed the lawn yesterday, though that was bad enough.  I'll do some miles on the TM later unless the promised storm comes through and cools things off.  I am so looking forward to this cold front.  The next few days are supposed to be in the 70's and not as humid.   Can't wait.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Pens.

No running for me as Week 2 of my break begins...  Lots of other things to do, however. Wash car, Costco, Target, Best Buy, etc...

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, yucky weather.  So far, my asthma is good.  Thanks for asking.

Jack, sorry you're still taking a break.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Ginny, it's a running vacation! Sept 23 is our anniversary of 31 years. We are renting a cabin near Gatlinburg, TN for 5 nights. There is a half called the Great Smokey Mountains Half. Perfect, right? We are both getting pretty excited about going back up to one of our favorite places.

GinnyinPA

Mitch - sounds like a fun trip.  A little too early for leaves though.  Is it a trail run or a road race?

RD here.   We have to drive to MD to pick up all the mail that accumulated in the three months we were gone.  We haven't been in a hurry.  Since it's Jim's birthday this week, we'll have lunch with the kids and do a mini-celebration while we're at it.  Hopefully we'll get a walk in the woods on the way home.