Beginners and Beyond

Concern about Mileage (Read 84 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I got 4 miles in this morning, and I have a question or concern that I need help on. I am looking at the rest of August (wow... only 3 more days of it) and my monthly mileage if all keeps going well is showing 180. My concern? Here is the past 6 months:

July - 152

June - 125.3

May - 131.3

April - 131

March - 153.4

To all you experienced runners and in the injuries department, is that too much of a jump? I've got 6 miles tomorrow and I am thinking of making Saturday an rest day instead of 3 miles, and then Sunday is either going to be 14 or 16 miles (I haven't really decided yet).

What do you guys think I should do, or am I okay as long as I listen to my body and take care of it?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

As a month over month increase, I see no problems there. I'd be more concerned with a huge week over week increase of 20% or more or a big jump in your long run of 3-4 miles. If all goes well my monthly mileage has been 158 in June, 175 in July, and a projected 220 for this month.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

As a month over month increase, I see no problems there. I'd be more concerned with a huge week over week increase of 20% or more or a big jump in your long run of 3-4 miles.

Hmm.. the past few weeks have pretty much ranged around 39 and then last week was 45 miles, this week I've made sure to cut it back to 39-40.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

As a month over month increase, I see no problems there. I'd be more concerned with a huge week over week increase of 20% or more or a big jump in your long run of 3-4 miles. If all goes well my monthly mileage has been 158 in June, 175 in July, and a projected 220 for this month.

Daaamnnnn lol, that is crazy for me to imagine right now.

PRs

happylily

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. You've been running long enough that I don't think that this type of increase could hurt you. For me, it's more the type of workout that brings a risk for injury (such as too much hill work too quickly, etc...) Anyway, skipping a 3 miler on Saturday won't make any difference at this point.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Your monthly mileage increase is not unreasonable.  You are doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well that is awesome to hear, I am relieved lol. I was looking at it this morning and though "wow...... is that too much?". Thanks guys Smile

PRs

Well I don't qualify as an experienced runner, but I'll comment anyway because this is the internet.

Sort of along the lines of what Lily said - you seem to be building a base with easy miles, which is the way to go. If you were adding a bunch of speed work at the same time, it would be more of a concern.

One thing I would watch out for is your LR as % of total weekly miles - seems high.

Dave

Love the Half

March - 157 (injured on March 18)

April - 0

May - 145 (started running again May 2)

June - 245

July - 275

August - 215 (to date.  Given the race on Saturday, I'll end up around 240.

I agree with what's already been said.  If you were making that increase AND adding in a bunch of new speed sessions, I'd be concerned.  Otherwise, month to month variability is kind of the norm in my schedule.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

You will be fine.  Here are my totals for the last 4 months.  Surgery stopped my running in November, didn't start back up until April.  I have been able to function in the 40mpw range with no adverse impact.  Don't worry.

Apr -     57

May -    11

Jun -     20

Jul -     100

Aug -   166

B-Plus

You will be fine.  Here are my totals for the last 4 months.  Surgery stopped my running in November, didn't start back up until April.  I have been able to function in the 40mpw range with no adverse impact.  Don't worry.

April

Is your name April? I wouldn't have thought that to be a guy's name.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Lol B, no, I hit the tab key to enter a number, couldn't see the cursor and hit enter.  Lo and behold that posted the incomplete reply.  You saw it as I was editing the remainder.  Dang internet.

Docket_Rocket

March - 157 (injured on March 18)

April - 0

May - 145 (started running again May 2)

June - 245

July - 275

August - 215 (to date.  Given the race on Saturday, I'll end up around 240.

I agree with what's already been said.  If you were making that increase AND adding in a bunch of new speed sessions, I'd be concerned.  Otherwise, month to month variability is kind of the norm in my schedule.

You took the whole of April?  Wow.  Yours look similar to mine pre and post surgery.  Except I am not running 275, but the increases look similar.  Month of surgery, 22, month after surgery, 100+, then a 200ish month.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

As long as we are sharing, this was me coming back from injury last fall:

Sept - 39.9

Oct - 87.3

Nov - 136.7

Dec - 200.8

Jan - 247.4

It worked out OK.

Dave

delicate flower

I think you look fine.  Here's my monthly build after my knee exploded the first week of January last year:

Jan:  27 (all before injury)

Feb:  0

Mar:  0

Apr:  2.6 (hooray!)

May:  71

Jun:  173

Jul:  240

Aug:  233

Sep:  232

So that's basically five months off followed by some big months.  Never had a problem.

<3