Beginners and Beyond

Found a way to make long runs fun! (Read 123 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Make new friends.

Granted, I am borderline creepy and intrusive, but yesterday I made not one but two new acquaintances on my 8-miler.  First, I met a gentleman when I found myself running at his pace and struck up a really enjoyable conversation (about our jobs, swimming, weight lifting, and my RD, who is his business associate!).

We found ourselves running behind an older gentleman, and remarked that he was pretty fast given his age.  After my first running buddy split off (and we had made plans to run together again--he had his phone so I gave him my #) I picked up the pace a bit and found myself beside the older gentleman.

Said hi, and he, I guess realizing I was in a chatty mood, answered back with a French accent.  Hey, I speak French!  So I fell in with him for a couple of miles and practiced that, and got invited to an art gallery opening.

8 miles.  Passed like THAT.  And now I know 8:15ish really is my easy pace, because I did not stop talking the whole time.

It helped that it was fantastic weather, so Central Park was packed and everyone was in a good mood.

Mind you, I'm the type of person who "makes friends at stoplights," as my family says, but does anyone else do this?

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

happylily

It sounds like you had a great time and you met two very interesting runners, scap. That's really cool. Maybe because you live in NYC, your chances of meeting interesting people to have good conversations with are greater. Here, it would be different and I would totally dislike running with a stranger. Everyone is suspected of being an idiot by me until they can prove me the contrary. Big grin And I don't give that chance to people often. Shy Must be because I'm twice your age and I've met enough jerks in my life that it's made me suspicious of people in general. But I'm glad you have an open and generous mind. You will have great life experiences with that attitude. Smile

Oh, and I totally hate you for calling an 8:15 pace your easy pace. lol... That was my easy pace as well last spring. Now I've regressed and I must now call 8:30/8:40 my easy pace. It's a constant battle at my age. Man I sound like a bitter old woman more and more. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I think it would be nice to do that, because I run solo 100% of the time (except when racing!), and don't really have any runner friends to talk to (except online). But I don't see how the logistics would work out. I run on a path around my neighborhood, which is pretty well populated with runners. And of course I see a lot of the same people every time. But of course you typically see people going the other direction, and it would be pretty awkward to just turn around (and probably would appear creepy). And when running in the same direction, people are either faster & pass you, or slower & get passed. If they are at the same pace you will never catch up. So I am stumped.

And yeah - in my dreams would I ever have an 8:15 easy pace. You would have to slow way down to make my acquaintance out on a run.

Dave

onemile

No.  Besides saying hi I have never talked to anyone while running.  I'm quiet and I don't think I'm very approachable.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Yeah, I think NYC is unique, because people are constantly joining the same circular path from different entrance points, so you can run into someone at your pace at almost any time.  In addition, I speed up slowly as I warm up, so sometimes I settle into the pace of the person ahead of me as the run progresses.  Those are the logistics.

I can't say I usually do talk to people on runs!  Yesterday was something of a happy anomaly.

Happylily, I definitely assume most people are idiots, but not necessarily most runners.  You must have at least some self-mastery if you're out running at a decent clip, right?

meaghansketch

I am way too shy/awkward to introduce myself to anyone while I'm running, but this is one of the things I love about being part of a running club.  We have a weekly long run scheduled and there's usually at least one person there who runs around my pace.  I find the miles just fly by when you're talking with someone, and as a bonus, I think my ability to make small talk has gotten a lot better.

Love the Half

Borderline?  Wink

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Borderline?  Wink

I'm an (apparently) cute 25-year-old woman.  I can get away with a lot.

(Whoops, that sounded as though I were bragging... but in all seriousness, what I mean is that I don't think I come across as threatening or frightening, and I'm a good conversationalist/not socially awkward.)

SheCan

Hahaha @ borderline creepy and intrusive!  Maybe it's a southern thing, but I think you sound charming.  Although I'm a bit shy, I smile and say hello to most people on my runs.  Now other runners/walkers often exchange friendly words, and occasionally someone will join me for a run-- though nobody nearly as speedy as you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I'm an (apparently) cute 25-year-old woman.  I can get away with a lot.

I am fairly certain any male runner you try to engage in conversation is going to comply, although possibly in a somewhat tongue-tied manner. And he is going to do his best to find a 8:15 easy pace in him.

Also I'm curious to know what qualifies as an "older gentleman" to you. Nevermind, I don't want to know.

Dave

delicate flower

Cool.

I don't even get a wave back from any of the snobs in this town.  AT LEAST LOOK AT ME FFS.

<3

Hip Redux

I only talk to people if they have dogs.  lol   Today someone was walking an adorable beagle and so I just had to stop and get some puppy love on my run.   Otherwise, I'm not really a people person when it comes to strangers.

I'm glad you found a new running buddy!   

SheCan

I don't even get a wave back from any of the snobs in this town.  AT LEAST LOOK AT ME FFS.

Wow that's rather sad to me.  I'd hate to move somewhere where people are that unresponsive to one another.

I only talk to people if they have dogs.  lol   

Hehe, I agree;  it really is hard to ignore the dogs.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

RSX

Yeah, I think NYC is unique, because people are constantly joining the same circular path from different entrance points, so you can run into someone at your pace at almost any time.  In addition, I speed up slowly as I warm up, so sometimes I settle into the pace of the person ahead of me as the run progresses.  Those are the logistics.

I can't say I usually do talk to people on runs!  Yesterday was something of a happy anomaly.

Happylily, I definitely assume most people are idiots, but not necessarily most runners.  You must have at least some self-mastery if you're out running at a decent clip, right?

You would be right in my case. I definitely do any run better when I run with a friend or part of a group. You can find more like minded folks in a running club if they interest you.

RSX

Cool.

In my town I get the same reaction. Women are more likely to greet me than guys, and over 40 much more often than under 40. I ran with a friend this morning in a former town 30 minutes away, and everyone is friendly on the roads.