Beginners and Beyond

Laguna Hills Memorial Day 10k RR (Read 86 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Short version:

42:17 (6 minute PR!)

Dead heat for 2nd place in AG

20th overall out of about 600  (the results are not up yet)

Today DW and I ran a 10k together in Laguna Hills, CA.  I did not know what to expect today because of two things: 1) I ran a very tough HM four weeks ago and it took me longer than expected to recover so I did not train specifically for this race. I put in about 35 mpw for the last two weeks with no speed work except for two tempo runs of six miles. Also, I did no long runs so essentially, they were all easy runs of five or six miles, give or take. 2) This week my legs felt very tired. I used DD's muscle stick the other night and it hurt! I have a lot of knots of lactic acid deep in my calves that only my massage guy can get out. I was hoping for 44:00.  A couple of weeks ago I started a thread about 10k pace and got some GREAT advice and I took it to heart. DW wanted to be sub 50. Oh, I wore a hat today because of the sun. I wanted to wear the headband but it was too sunny.

Miles 1-2  The most annoying thing about races is the start. I hate it when small kids and the people who should be in the back of the pack are at the front. At the gun there was a big mess of people trying to pass, kids looking for their moms, etc. I don't know if it made it worse, but the 5k, 10k, and HM all started at once.  I passed loads of people at the start and got sucked into a pace that I thought was too fast. The first miles went through a retirement community. There were a few old folks sitting on lawn chairs clapping, clanging cowbells, and one old gal even had a big drum that she was beating. Kind of like the guy in the outfield at the Cleveland baseball games. I thought I was going too fast at a 6:50 pace but I was feeling ok so I just said "Go for it" and I stayed at that pace.

Miles 3-4  It's weird, but I don't really remember this bit. You know what I mean? I was cruising and in a zone, not talking, I was just going. I didn't look at my watch at all. I think there was some downhill so I used it and picked it up (I think). The part I do remember was the 5k turn to the finish. The 10k and HM runners went straight at this part and the 5k folks made a turn to the finish.

Miles 5 to the finish.  This bit was uphill and was tough for me. My legs were tired and the little bumps were hard. There was a turnaround part and when I turned back I saw DW and we slapped hands as we passed.  I really hate uphill finishes! They are torture to me and I absolutely loathe them! Here I looked at my watch a few times. I pushed hard to the finish.  I saw the clock at the finish line and was in shock. 42!!! When I stopped my watch I had a 42:17 and that was my official time. DW got a 50:17, just off her goal but I am still proud of her because she has been sick lately.

The last time I did a 10k was last July so the six minute PR is somewhat misleading, but I think it does show how much I have improved in ten months time. This was a fun race that was well organized and staffed. The only problem was they screwed up the shirt order so they are mailing them to us. Also, they ran out of the swag bags so we missed out on that as well. I didn't mind because they usually only have those rubbish coupons that you never use. Overall, we had fun and I truly enjoy running with DW. Smile Next year our older DD may not run track (she only wants to do XC in the fall) but she said she will do some races with us.  For my finish in the AG I got a... wait for it... $5 gift card to a LRS.

Oh, I wanted to add thanks for the advice and encouragement over the past weeks and months. Like I said above, sometimes my mind is nowhere during a race but when I do think of things it is either about my pace or what you have taught me. So, thanks!

Thanks for reading. Smile

Hip Redux

You know, even though it was an uphill finish, your pace really didn't drop!  Impressive work.

The GC is a nice AG award!

Docket_Rocket

Awesome performance, both of you!  Nice picture.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Geez! I you really need to change your name to something speedier!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damn Jack!  You could have drank a Natty waiting for me to finish...lol  Great job to you and your DW!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Wow, you are fast for a guy just rolling out of Del Boca Vista in his Cadillac!

Those splits are otherworldly, that is amazing to maintain that steadiness.

And you are doing LTH proud, rockin' the C9 shirt.

Dave

Way to go, nice time!

Sloooow.

Congratulations to you and your DW! You seriously are a fast guy, now, get those legs to your massage therapist!

The anticipation on how you are going to spend your reward is killing me Smile

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Great work by you and DW, and I think it's awesome that DD wants to race too! I love seeing families at races. I have a nephew who runs cc and want to run a race with him sometime.

delicate flower

Klompus, you are really turning into quite the speedster.  Heck of a race today and congrats on that enormous PR.  Those are some good looking splits.  Congrats to your DW too.  That's solid 10K work on her part.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Can I say "We told you so!"? I think several of us were confident you could run 42 minutes. 20th of 600 is impressive too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Awesome race, great splits.  Did running past the old folks inspire you or did it slow you down, lol.

Tell us about your dead finish with the other runner.  Did you pass him, or did he sneak up on you.  Thats pretty crazy having a dead heat in a 10k.  Still, mighty impressed, you are making us older guys proud.

GinnyinPA

Jack - you did great.  We all knew you would, given your training and past experiences, but it's always nice to get such a good PR.  Your splits are really good too, even the uphill bit.  At least it wasn't the hill from your HM!

Congratulations to your DW as well.  She also did really well, especially if she's been sick.

Very nice PR and improvement. You've beenworking hard and it is paying off. Congrats on a great race.

Six minute PR.

That is simply huge, Jack.  Big congrats.

$5 GC for shoes that are probably at least $20 more than they would be online?  It's a trap!  Wink

Don't be afraid to shimmy in front of those people at the start who are clearly going to be too slow.