Beginners and Beyond

OK, You're a Runner. Get Over It (With Translation) (Read 99 times)

PADRunner

The article is pretty bad but the translation is pretty funny.

Wall Street Journal

Translated

Runners World

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Surprised that the Journal printed such a lame article.  Guess they wanted a contrarian opinion.  Nevertheless, I will keep my subscription.

Hip Redux

I LOLed at the translation.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I googled a photo of the author. He is fat. Go figure.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

delicate flower

I WILL NEVER GET OVER IT.

<3

OK, You're a Skier.  Get Over it.

I keep seeing expensive SUVs with funny-looking racks on the roof.  Many of them have Ontario plates, and the drivers always want to know how to get to Ellicottville, after their Garmin has been bested by absurdities like Route 20 and 20A being wholly different roads.  ("You're on the 20A, and you want to be on the 20, eh?"  It's like some heavenly convergence of an Abbott and Costello routine with Doug and Bob McKenzie.)

I googled skiing, and it appears that people slide down hills covered in snow, on very expensive sticks.  They pay good money just to do this, and clearly want everyone to know that they have disposable income and are wealthy enough to have fun in winter.  Winter, a season that should have been outlawed during Roman times, before those pesky Christians started pretending that their Lord was born during it.  Ski the East stickers are clearly slang for Sign of the Beast.  And, this rant has covered all the appropriate bases, but Who's on first?

(Dear WSJ, please give me money for this rant so that I can go skiing.)

GC100k

I googled a photo of the author. He is fat. Go figure.

Not as fat as I am.

Love the Half

Anyone who says that runners take themselves far too seriously is correct.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

This is awesome! I like the phrase about being a one person parade!

I do like to be seen - so I wear bright colors - that way drivers CAN see me and hopefully I won't get run over.

I do like to wear my 5k shirt from NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness - am I bringing awareness to me running or mental illness?

I see waaaaayyy more stickers for NFL football teams.

I still think the most narcissistic past time is weight lifting/body building. How can't it be? You do it in front of a mirror!

Finally, golf has to blow running away, especially when it comes to cost. Golfers spend $600 million a year on golf balls.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I like Jay's article better haha.

I didn't like the original article, I also found it unnecessarily whiney (I can see the annoyance about us posting like crazy on facebook and other social media about running, such as automatic Nike+ and Daily Mile updates, selfies during/before/after runs, constantly posting about being excited for this race and that, how each training run feels, ect..... if you are not a runner you don't care about this so I can see people being like ENOUGH already....but REALLY, complaining you can SEE us running along the road and in parks--sorry we don't always relegate ourselves to treadmills and actually enjoy fresh air, and complaining that running stores exist?!), but I thought the translation was hilarious.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

OK, You're a Skier.  Get Over it.

I keep seeing expensive SUVs with funny-looking racks on the roof.  Many of them have Ontario plates, and the drivers always want to know how to get to Ellicottville, after their Garmin has been bested by absurdities like Route 20 and 20A being wholly different roads.  ("You're on the 20A, and you want to be on the 20, eh?"  It's like some heavenly convergence of an Abbott and Costello routine with Doug and Bob McKenzie.)

I googled skiing, and it appears that people slide down hills covered in snow, on very expensive sticks.  They pay good money just to do this, and clearly want everyone to know that they have disposable income and are wealthy enough to have fun in winter.  Winter, a season that should have been outlawed during Roman times, before those pesky Christians started pretending that their Lord was born during it.  Ski the East stickers are clearly slang for Sign of the Beast.  And, this rant has covered all the appropriate bases, but Who's on first?

(Dear WSJ, please give me money for this rant so that I can go skiing.)

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010