Beginners and Beyond

Post Run Headaches (Read 51 times)

Dad on the run.

Wondering if anyone else suffers or has suffered from this? If I run 6+ miles I usually end up with a pretty bad headache that doesn't seem to go away with any medication. It's either wait it out or sleep it off. I've read some information about it, anything from tension related to low sodium levels. What's has any of your experience been with it?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

I don't, but a few others here recently mentioned they get post-run headaches if they were not sufficiently hydrated.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I get them when I am dehydrated.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

No, it's never happened to me. Hydration sounds like it could be the cause. Also, do you eat enough during the day, before you run?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No, it's never happened to me. Hydration sounds like it could be the cause. 

Yes it's already been established that Lily & I are camels. 

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Count me among the post-run dehydration headache crowd. Though it usually takes a run of 12+ miles to trigger it.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

onemile

I get headaches after races. Even after a 5k I typically will have a headache the rest of the day.  But never after training runs or hard workouts.

Hip Redux

Yep.  Two things that trigger it - dehydration and bright sun (maybe eye fatigue?).

Not in a long time, thankfully.  In HS, I would often get really nasty ones after races or tough workouts, complete with seeing light halos and wanting to curl into a ball and die.

Not sure what is different, but I am 100% OK with not getting those anymore.

LRB

No, never.  This is something you may consider running past your MD though.  You know, just to be on the safe side.