Beginners and Beyond

Warning re: Runfoolery / aka James Park or JHPark on RW (Read 1058 times)

MrNamtor

Well, even if Eric bans the offender, he could still try to rejoin using a different name/computer/network. Some of the banning abilities depends on the system Eric is using here. On the board I mod'd on, we used vbulletin, which had some pretty sophisticated ban protocols at the time. Technology changes, creeps don't. Simple lesson is: beware of creeps and report them.

Beth, so sorry to hear of your stalker story.

It's pretty easy to capture and store IP addresses. Computers on the same network would share a common internet IP address or at least some portion of the address would be identical. Sure someone can easily mask their ip or go to a different network or whatever. but in most cases, some abusive user won't go through the trouble to do this.

What puzzles me is setups like RW where apparently not even this is done. One can be banned and immediately setup a new username on the same computer and go back onto the forum. Probably one reason they have the spam problem they do.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

I also got a pm and my exchange was like Heidi's, joking around a compliment which was fine, nice even, and benign. However, I then declined to meet up with him (i think he is from the philly area) and he did not pursue it. It seemed fairly innocuous , really glad Heidi brought this to light! I really enjoy meeting other runners and woud be super excited to meet most people from this board but something really put me off.
      Just B.S.

Well, even if Eric bans the offender, he could still try to rejoin using a different name/computer/network. Some of the banning abilities depends on the system Eric is using here. On the board I mod'd on, we used vbulletin, which had some pretty sophisticated ban protocols at the time. Technology changes, creeps don't. Simple lesson is: beware of creeps and report them.

Beth, so sorry to hear of your stalker story.

Thanks Muck and everyone else. It was very unsettling to say the least and although it has been 5 years it's

still something that is always in the back of my mind and I'm constantly thinking about  personal security.

I finally got rid of him because I changed jobs and office locations and  was no longer working directly with

the public. I did however see him once after that in public. I was leaving the E.R. after my husband (who

had never seen this guy in person) had a small prodecure. Hubby  was walking about 10 feet behind

me and this guy comes  around the corner looks at me and says "well well now,  we meet again".....in

as just a creepy voice as that implies

I am not ashamed to say I went totally ballistic.....after all the fear he had put into my life I felt safe with my

hubby standing behind me and I just lost it in the middle of the E.R. reception area.......

I look at him and screamed and I mean screamed!!!!!!! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE AND IF

I EVER SEE YOU NEAR ME AGAIN MY BROTHERS ARE GOING TO BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU!!!!

And I stomped off!!  My poor husband caught up with me and said "what the hell was that".....I said "that

was him" and my hubby said "well ok then"!LOL

dog person

It's pretty easy to capture and store IP addresses. Computers on the same network would share a common internet IP address or at least some portion of the address would be identical. Sure someone can easily mask their ip or go to a different network or whatever. but in most cases, some abusive user won't go through the trouble to do this.

What puzzles me is setups like RW where apparently not even this is done. One can be banned and immediately setup a new username on the same computer and go back onto the forum. Probably one reason they have the spam problem they do.

IP bans are so easy to get around, it is a waste of time to use it. Used to require a little bit of skill to spoof an IP address, anybody with the slightest motivation (e.g. creepers) can get around an IP ban.

Kristian

Jess runs for bacon

Thanks Muck and everyone else. It was very unsettling to say the least and although it has been 5 years it's still

something that is always in the back of my mind and I'm constantly thinking about  personal security.

I finally got rid of him because I changed jobs and office locations and  was no longer working directly with the public.

I did however see him once after that in public. I was leaving the E.R. after my husband (who had never seen this guy

in person) had a small prodecure. Hubby  was walking about 10 feet behind me and this guy comes  around the corner

looks at me and says "well well now,  we meet again".....in as just a creepy voice as that implies

I am not ashamed to say I went totally ballistic.....after all the fear he had put into my life I felt safe with my hubby standing

behind me and I just lost it in the middle of the E.R. reception area.......

I look at him and screamed and I mean screamed!!!!!!! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE AND IF I EVER SEE YOU

NEAR ME AGAIN MY BROTHERS ARE GOING TO BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU!!!!

And I stomped off!!  My poor husband caught up with me and said "what the hell was that".....I said "that was him" and

my hubby said "well ok then"!LOL

Heh, when I started reading this I was like "OMG WTF GET AWAY FROM ME YOU CREEP!!" So I'm very glad to hear you did this. Fucking creepers.

Docket_Rocket

I can ban him and I did.

Thank you, LRB.  It's hard for me to do it from here today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

IP bans are so easy to get around, it is a waste of time to use it. Used to require a little bit of skill to spoof an IP address, anybody with the slightest motivation (e.g. creepers) can get around an IP ban.

True, but IP bans are so easy to implement and will stop the average knucklehead just sitting at his pc trolling. I just wonder why that wouldn't be done as a matter of course.Requires a couple of lines of code and an extra field in a database of users.

mucknort

...And I stomped off!!  My poor husband caught up with me and said "what the hell was that".....I said "that was him" and

Well done, and glad you had a bit of closure to it all!

Wow, that is gross and creepy. He never PM’ed me, but some jack did take a picture of me at Disney last year and post it to RWOL; Mark Remy was awesome about having it deleted and having the guy removed. I’m not going to say the incident was even a factor in me deciding not to do Disney this year (I was just down there last month for a half), but it definitely made me wary of travelling for races, especially without my husband.

MrNamtor

Thanks Muck and everyone else. It was very unsettling to say the least and although it has been 5 years it's still

something that is always in the back of my mind and I'm constantly thinking about  personal security.

I finally got rid of him because I changed jobs and office locations and  was no longer working directly with the public.

I did however see him once after that in public. I was leaving the E.R. after my husband (who had never seen this guy

in person) had a small prodecure. Hubby  was walking about 10 feet behind me and this guy comes  around the corner

looks at me and says "well well now,  we meet again".....in as just a creepy voice as that implies

I am not ashamed to say I went totally ballistic.....after all the fear he had put into my life I felt safe with my hubby standing

behind me and I just lost it in the middle of the E.R. reception area.......

I look at him and screamed and I mean screamed!!!!!!! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE AND IF I EVER SEE YOU

NEAR ME AGAIN MY BROTHERS ARE GOING TO BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU!!!!

And I stomped off!!  My poor husband caught up with me and said "what the hell was that".....I said "that was him" and

Horrible. I'm not a gun nut, but stories like this make you kind of believe in the value of conceal/carry.

Chairman

I have the option to ban in a group that I am admin of, and not the owner of.

Yes you do. 

I don't want to be blamed for all the L&O bannings. 

Also, I know who this thread is about, and I always got the impression that he could be a guy you see on Dateline's "To Catch a Predator." But I didn't know he was a serial PMer until now. We've had those in L&O before and they were dealt with.

The funny part is that one was a woman. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

YIKES!

ZERO Tolerance policy - that's what I say!

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Creepy.  I agree with Scrape.  Hopefully we've seen the last of him.

runmomto3boys

Kristin and Hey Doc: I can't believe he messaged you guys as well. Crazy.  I'm so glad this is all out in the open and being discussed.

Dave: Thank you so much for your kind words.  That meant a lot.  I appreciate it.

Beth: Uggh.  I can't even imagine.  How terrifying.  I am so sorry you went through that.

Eric knows about it and is exploring his options when it comes to keeping him off RA.  He asked me for any input I might have, and since I don't know anything about how to ban someone, I didn't offer any advice.  I just requested that he do all he could to keep him off RA.  For you techies, if you have any suggestions in that regard, I am sure Eric would be open to hearing them.

Meat Wagon

Puker

So sorry to hear about this. Thanks for speaking up and alerting the group. There is simply no room for that kind of crap here.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.