Beginners and Beyond

I just registered for my next marathon (Read 69 times)

delicate flower

AND THIS IS VERY EXCITING NEWS AND NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD!

Cool

Vermont City Marathon, May 25

Live athlete tracking too for all you e-stalkers.

<3

happylily

That is super cool, Phil. Smile You will so rock this thing! Mega PR in store for you. Smile Looks like a great race, the reviews are excellent on marathonguide.com.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Thanks, lily!  I hope you are right.  I am undecided on whether or not I'm going to follow a plan or just sort of wing it.  While my knee is doing great, I don't want to feel the pressure of having to stick to a plan and overdoing it.  The knee is still building it's strength back and probably won't be 100 percent until next summer.   No idea what a target goal will be at this point.

<3

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I would say that if you decide on a goal for it, then go to a plan.  (And modify as needed).  I was amazed at how much a plan helped me shave off my 10k PR.  If not, then winging it is fine.  And I'd just focus on quality distance.  PROTECT THE KNEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't like Dr. Wells' work be in vain

Randy

Jealous!!!!  Especially because it's Vermont.

TakeAHike

Awesome.  That looks like a good one.  I liked having an off the shelf plan.  It meant I didn't have to think so much.  Of course, I was not dealing with a less than 100% knee.  Since you have already trained for a couple marathons, it may not be as important for you to have a plan.  I wouldn't bother setting a goal right now (although I think you may have mentioned a goal a few weeks ago).  When you were rehabbing your knee, you never would have guessed that you would be so fast this fall. You will certainly get faster before May.  Know one knows how much.  I would run a HM in the spring and then set a goal.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

RSX

Good luck. A # of my friends have run it more than once so liked it.

LRB

AND THIS IS VERY EXCITING NEWS AND NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD!

Cool

Vermont City Marathon, May 25

Live athlete tracking too for all you e-stalkers.

You crack me up!  lmao

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's great that your knee is so much better that you can schedule a marathon. I concur that a self-designed plan, i.e. winging it, would be the better choice. You know enough to get in the right amount and mixture of workouts.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pinktastic

Very exciting indeed!   Good luck with your training!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

delicate flower

I wouldn't bother setting a goal right now (although I think you may have mentioned a goal a few weeks ago).  When you were rehabbing your knee, you never would have guessed that you would be so fast this fall. You will certainly get faster before May.  Know one knows how much.  I would run a HM in the spring and then set a goal.

I don't think I mentioned a goal time, but who knows...I do post a lot.  Big grin   I think if I just keep doing what I'm doing, I'll have a good marathon.  The only things lacking in my training right now are the long runs (I am up to 15) and the GMP runs, the latter of which I'm unsure of becaue I don't know what GMP is.  I've been real consistent the last few months in hitting 50-55 mpw.

I've already got two HM's picked out (February and March).  And that's another thing...there are some races I want to do before the marathon and I don't need some PLAN telling me that I'm not allowed to do them.  Big grin

LOL @ redrum....that had to hurt that doll.

<3

RSX

Which Feb half are you doing? I did Hyannis last year and plan on running this one also.

delicate flower

Which Feb half are you doing? I did Hyannis last year and plan on running this one also.

Two in Connecticut.  Colchester on February 22 and Savin Rock (West Haven) on March 22.  Both on Saturdays and both hilly.

<3