Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Vote Today! (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Supposed to have group training tonight, but could be raining. We'll see.

Zelanie

Morning, PAD!  You guys don't run in the rain down there?  Is that because it's thunderstorms?

Glad you got out to vote.  Oregon is 100% vote by mail, so we voted a couple of weeks ago.  Procrastinators can still drop their ballots off at a couple of collection boxes until 8 PM tonight.

Probably run 6 easy again tonight.  It's starting to actually feel easy again.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Miles at the park this afternoon.

Glad election day is here.  I'm about sick of the smear ads on TV, radio, billboards, everywhere you look...

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Pens.

Last night I ran some easy miles with strides and tonight I have a little tempo run planned. It's nice running in cooler temps but it's time to break out the reflective vest. I suppose if it's not too cold I could run shirtless. Same difference.  DW are signed up for the Avenue of the Giants marathon in May. You should go, too. Smile  I suppose I will sign up for some other races in the meantime. Marathon training. Sigh...

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I voted early 10 days ago, so I'm done.

Run and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!

3 or so for me today.  I got a much needed massage after work last night.  My sciatica has been acting up a bit lately so I need get that under control.  It is a little bit better today.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning.  Possible run today in Cancun when we get there.  We have a stop in Charlotte.

PADRunner

Z - Yea, a cold front coming through, possible thunderstorms, cold blowing rain. It may be done by the time we run and just colder.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins!

I was a bad Penguin again yesterday. After work and all my appointments yesterday, I ended up at the cell phone store upgrading my cell phone to a smart phone. Yes, I've gone this long without having one (most of our friends are shocked too). Needless to say, after we did that and I went back to work to finish up some projects I was working on, by the time I got home it was time to hit the hay again. I guess you can say I pack WAY TOO much into a day.

I have a lot of errands to do today, so that will rack up some moving for me!

GinnyinPA

I just finished voting.  In and out in about 3 minutes, but then, we only have three positions being voted on: Governor, US Rep. and State Rep.  I'm glad the election is almost over.  Most of the TV ads, aside from the Governor's race, were for candidates in other districts.  Some were pretty nasty. Our candidates didn't even bother sending out a mailing. When you live in a district that always votes one way, they don't bother wasting money to change votes/minds.

PAD - I hope you get your group run tonight.  At least it will be cool for you.

Z - I'm glad your legs are finally starting to feel good again.  It sure makes a difference when the run feels easy.

Robert - enjoy your run in the park.  On pavement or trails?

Jack - where is the Avenue of the Giants marathon?  Enjoy your tempo run.

Damaris - have a good run tonight.

sapf - sorry the sciatica is slowing you down.  I get that when I sit in the car too long and it is painful.  Hope the massage fixes things.

Jerry - I hope you get a run this afternoon. After sitting on the plane for so long, you'll be needing to stretch out your legs.

Rach - I don't own a smart phone either.  I hope you find some time to run.

AFM:  It feels more like spring than fall today.  High is supposed to be 68.  I'm heading out for a MLR in a little bit.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Photographer at my Sunday 5K caught me hamming it up for the camera on the course, lol.

photo MbershipRunphoto_zps2c024f4b.jpg

I already did 'early voting' last week.  None of the Texas candidates we have are really worth a damn. Very sad.  Good thing though is after today all those stupid negative ads will finally be gone for a while.  Texas politicians really do lambaste the hell outta each other.  I swear, if they could still walk out into the street and have a 'showdown" like in Texas 'old west' days, half these idiots would probably go out there and end up shooting each other.  And when you think about it..no loss, really. 

We are supposedly going to get some major rain in the San Antonio area - 2 - 4 inches - starting after work today and then all day tomorrow.  So I got myself up at 5 this morning and did one of the campus 5K routes out at the university where I work.  Very nice run/walk, but with the rain threatening, it was humid as all get out.  6 in the morning and already in the freakin' 70s.....for a minute I thought I might have been transported to Damaris country...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: It is up in northern CA and the entire course is in the ancient redwood forest.  I think it is a race you would enjoy. There is also a HM and 10k.  Check it out. http://www.theave.org/

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope the weather cooperates for you PAD.  Me too, for that matter.   I don't mind running in the rain, but I dislike starting out in it.  Also, the way our weather folks have been talking, this might just not be plain rain, but major thunderstorms.  No likey lightning!  Stay safe up there, if you get as much drenching as we are supposed to  down here.

Why is Oregon vote by mail only, Zelanie?  Y'all don't have electricity yet?  Gee, you must have a magic computer then! 

I would love to do Avenue of the Giants, Jack...if they had like a 5K or 10K.  My darn back won't let me do distance running anymore. Maybe I need to go visit NASA and get bionic-ized....  hey, wait...just read your note to Ginny...there actually IS a 10K?  Coool....

Good luck with the run and weights, Damaris.  Hope your lungs are behaving!

Jerry...what?  Stop in Charlotte?  Isn't that the wrong direction?  They couldn't have go South and West and stop somewhere that way?  Stupid airlines, just don't understand their flight routes....are the out-of-work NASA space monkeys thinking up these routes?   Well, if you do run after you get there that will help with the jet lag...and you should enjoy a nice ocean-side view for the run..and be warmer.  Have fun!

I can't imagine you ever being bad, Rach.     Hope your ALS is going well.   After you graduate, can we point at you and say "Nice ALS!" 

I just finished voting.  In and out in about 3 minutes.  Gee, Ginny,  now that I'm old, that sounds like my...ummm...never mind........Hope your miles went great for you!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Miles at the park this afternoon.

Glad election day is here.  I'm about sick of the smear ads on TV, radio, billboards, everywhere you look...

+1.  Texas is REALLY bad with the mud-slinging.  I guess that's a tradition down there that goes way back.