Beginners and Beyond

Fandango Fiesta Friday Penguins (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning and Happy World Penguin Day, Scotty.  Good luck on your GI test today,

Knee feels good.  Think I'll go for a short run.  Fingers and knees crossed.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This is the last week of Fiesta San Antonio - http://www.fiesta-sa.org/ .   Today most of the city is shut down for the "Battle Of The Flowers Parade",  which starts at noon, which honors the fallen heroes of The Alamo and celebrates the Battle of San Jacinto, which gave Texas its independence from Mexico.    Today, I am helping with packet pickup for the Fiesta Fandango 2.6 mile run, a fun run that starts tomorrow right before the Fiesta Flambeau Parade, the last parade of Fiesta San Antonio.  The parade starts at  7 p.m. and is the largest night time parade in the US.  We runners run the parade route in front of the THOUSANDS of cheering spectators who are already in place waiting for the parade to start.  Lots of the participants wear costumes and post-run there is beer, soda, water, tacos, grilled hot dogs, sweet treats, etc.,   There is also a pre-race costume contest and when the buses drop us off near the start line, we get a close-up look at the floats that will be in the parade, so very nice.  This event is a very festive occasion.

As usual for this race, since it is a 6:40 pm start, it will be WARM...around 91 degrees at our start time...

If you want to see what the Fandango run is like...here is a slide show of photos I took for last year's event.  Even though it is warm it is a very fun event!   Come on down some year and enjoy doing this one!

Slideshow of 2013 Fiesta Fandango 2.6 Mile Run: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/Fandango%202013?sort=2

Well, I am off in a bit for my upper G.I. appointment, and then after that will get a haircut, and then off to packet pickup.  Tomorrow morning I have a race in the a.m. at San Antonio SeaWorld and then the Fandango Run in the evening.  I should sleep well tomorrow night!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Our performance last night was ok, not spectacular.  Personally I think it was a little lackadaisical, as if "it's ONLY friends and family!"  Hey, they deserve our best performance even more than other folks!  But oh well, it's over now.  Tomorrow I have a meeting with our director and a couple of other women to kind of set the direction of the chorus for the next year, so that's all good.  And then I need to plant my cherry tomatoes and blueberry bushes, so it's off to Lowe's I go for planters and dirt!!

Scotty -- good luck on your appointment!!  I'm having leftover Applebee's Fiesta Lime chicken for lunch, so quite an appropriate title!!

Jerryb -- glad the knee is feeling good, hope the run goes well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty -- I've been to San Antonio SeaWorld, several years go.  Not for a run, though!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning!  Working today, then I might or might not run afterwards.  DD gets back home late tonight.  She is flying back on her own- the team comes home on Monday.  I'm excited for her- I think getting back on her own will do a lot for her self-confidence.

Scotty- Hope you are feeling better and that your appointment goes well!

Jerry- Glad you got a run in yesterday!  Good luck today!

HsM- Sounds like a fantastic day!  Enjoy!

hog4life

Zel, why is your daughter coming home early?

Scotty, good luck with your procedure.

Hope, I have to stay away from Lowe's, I always spend way too much money.

Jerry, hope the knee behaves.

I'll run after work for a few miles with Bella.  Question, did anyone see that article the other day about racing with your dog? Can you direct me back to it? I signed up for an 8k on May 3rd, and I was thinking about taking Bella. I want to read a little on courtesy stuff since I've never taken her to a race.

PADRunner

Morning all, knees said no running today so i did 45 on the elliptical.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Good luck with the GI appt.  Two races in one day? BEAST!!

HsM: Our tomatoes grow like weeds but we have never had any luck with blueberries.

Zel: Don't worry, you will run. Wink

Hog: Enjoy the miles. I didn't read the article, but most races I sign up for usually have a "Do Not Bring..." list on their websites. Dogs is usually on the list.

PAD: Good work listening to the knees.

Well, I just finished an 18 mile run, 8:57 pace. This cycle has not been kind to me and today I wanted to push myself so I purposely ran a route that has a big uphill. It's about a 650 foot climb that lasts 5 miles. It was a good test, believe me. I left the house about 5:00 and got back at 7:45 so now I have the rest of the day to mess about and do errands, watch some TV, nap, and go to breakfast.

Busy weekend ahead, with one DD having swim practice, the other DD with a track meet tomorrow morning AND prom tomorrow night, and me working the triple jump pit at the track meet. After the kids go to the prom, DW and I will go out for some adult fun with some friends.

Life is good.

hog4life

Jack, this race actually advertises that you can bring a dog, stroller, or walkers. I've seen a lady at this same race 2 years ago run with here collie mix. They smoked me!  Great run too!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hog: No problem, then. Just don't use one of those obnoxious Flexi leashes. Keep her close.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

1.3 very slow baby step miles.  After 6 weeks off, I felt great except knee was a little achy, but never got worse as I ran.  No pain when walking.  I'll try same run again tomorrow.

Looking forward to Fiesta Run and parade pictures, Scotty.  Sounds like fun.

Zel, great to have DD flying alone.  Before you know it, she will be off on a European adventure.

Have a great weekend.

Bin Running

Jerry, that's good news.

4 easy miles done. Ran a corporate challenge yday with a time of 26mins. Quite happy although I had to fight the crowd on first 1.5Km. 16k runners in 3 wave. Crazy stuff. And I had a mini streak of 6 days. Haven't ran more than 4 days in a row for a few mths. Trying to keep it going.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Doing a rest day today.  Its pretty again, and supposed to be nice and cool this weekend (60s and low 70s)  might go look for a truck to replace my little car that I wrecked a couple of weeks ago.  Hope everyone has a great day to start their weekend with!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I hope you get good news at the doctor.  Your Fiesta races seem like such a lot of fun.  Maybe next year we can time a visit to my Dad in Houston with one of your races.  I don't envy you your temperatures though.

Jerry - that's good news about the knee.  Achy is so much better than acute pain.  Achy is normal, no?

HopesMom - I'd love to have some blueberry bushes.  I love picking wild ones when we're hiking.  I hope the planning session is productive.

Z - How did your daughter's team do?  Enjoy your run, if you do decide to do it.

Mitch - we have a 5k benefitting an animal shelter that allows dogs, but I haven't done it.  Biggest thing I would imagine is having a dog that is relaxed around crowds of people and around other dogs.  Ben can be fear reactive around large male dogs, so we try to avoid being around strange dogs.  He also gets overexcited around people or animals moving fast, so when he accompanies DH to my races, they stand well back.  But Bella is a much better behaved dog than Ben is, I think.

PAD - sorry the knees are acting up, but it's good you have the elliptical alternative.

Jack - that was a really good LR.  How is the PF?  Enjoy the rest of your solitude today.  Hope your weekend goes well with all the practices and meets.

Bin - good job on the race yesterday.  I can't imagine trying to race with that many people.  You'd end up spending the first kilometer or two just trying to get up to speed.  Good luck on the streak.

Cherie - are you hurt or just not feeling motivated.  I hope you get to spend some time outdoors, one way or another, during this cool spell.

AFM:  I'm hoping to run a little this afternoon.  I woke up hurting and dehydrated, but lots of coffee and walking the dog helped a lot, so I'll see how I'm doing after we run some errands.  My head is ready to get back to normal running, but my body keeps telling me it's tired and wants a nap.