Beginners and Beyond

Question about start seeding (Read 440 times)

delicate flower

I'm looking at my race options for 2013 and I see there is a certain half marathon that offers start seeding if you ran a half marathon recently in "under 1:45:00."  My last HM in September was exactly 1:45:00.  How closely do the race organizers stick to those seeding guidelines?  I am assuming I do need to shave one second off my time to qualify for the start seeding, but I'm just wondering what you more experienced folks have to say. 

I e-mailed and asked but I'm just curious what you thought.

<3

xor

Honestly it depends on the race.  Disney does seeding, but they don't check squat.  The Indy Mini does seeding, and they checked my stuff.

You did the right thing by emailing them...  which race is it?

Ball of Fury

If it is the Indy Mini, I think they are pretty strict.  My plan is to run the training series 10K in March and try for under 48 (need to shave off 42 seconds) to move up from preferred to seeded.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

delicate flower

SRL, it's the Hartford Half Marathon.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/ING_Hartford_Marathon/Athlete_Information/Start_Seeding.htm  (edit:  why doesn't that post as a link?)

I'd still like to run the full marathon again but I'm just looking at my options.

AmiK, my most recent 5K got me start seeding for the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving.  SWEEEET.

<3

xor

The editor here doesn't automagically turn things into links.  You have to highlight a chunk of text (say, the url you just cut and paste) and then hit the little chain link button above the edit box... and cut and paste the url you want to link in there.

I don't know if Hartford would be such sticklers about 1 second.  Maybe someone else will though!

Interesting note.... back in the "old days", say 3-4 years ago, when Boston registration stayed open for awhile, they had an interesting habit of occasionally accepting entries from people who actually officially missed their BQ by a few seconds.  They did not advertise this, but I know 3 folks off the top of my head that got in by submitting times that were off.  Back when 3:20:59 would have been the cut-off, for example, 3:21:03.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I had to LOL at this, Phil, because that is crazy.  One second!  I am willing to bet they will allow it, especially if the corral isn't overcrowded (or doesn't have a history of getting overcrowded).

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

sugnim

I thought this thread was going to be about gardening & I was going to brag about my winter tomato seed starts.

I hope you qualify for your race seeding!

RSX

Check her or RWOL in Marathons about that specific race. I doubt you will have a problem

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I doubt you'll have a problem getting in. If you don't, you may just be able to hop into that corral (it doesn't seem like you'd be that guy that goes up to start on the line) if they don't police it well,

FWIW - I managed to get a preferential bib for the Paris Marathon using a half-marathon time I think was technically too old, and I submitted it about a week after the "if you want this corral you need to submit before today" date Big grin.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Trail Monster

What is the point of seeding and preferred bibs if they already have pace corrals?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Just B.S.

Don't know sqaut about seeding but just wanted to say there is a good chance hubby and I and

a group of friends will be coming down from Canada to run the Hartford full.

Could you please wear the Mickey ears so I can recognize you?

delicate flower

Don't know sqaut about seeding but just wanted to say there is a good chance hubby and I and

a group of friends will be coming down from Canada to run the Hartford full.

Could you please wear the Mickey ears so I can recognize you?

HOORAY!  20th anniverary of the event!  They are promising big things.

Banshee, this event does not have pace corrals.  They have pacers, but unless you are elite or qualify for start seeding (3:30 for the full), it's a mass start. 

<3

Just B.S.

HOORAY!  20th anniverary of the event!  They are promising big things.

That's one of the reasons we are coming. It's a long drive for us, over 10 hours so the group is thinking

about hiring a small bus and driver.

We did the 20th anniversary of the Maine Marathon in 2011 and are doing the 10th Anniversary of a more

local marathon in May and then another 10th Anniversary  in August (doing the 1/2 for those)  Usually the

organizers do a little something special for those events that make it more memorable.

The Maine Marathon had "20th anniversary" on the medal that year and it was my 20th half marathon so

I will always remember that.

xor

What is the point of seeding and preferred bibs if they already have pace corrals?

This has been asked and answered for Hartford... but this is true at other races that do have pace corrals, or at least signs indicating 'line up here'.  In those cases, essentially it just means that they are more hardcore about monitoring who does/doesn't get into the front corrals whereas behind that, it's really honor system.

"Corrals" at some races are monitored for entry, but at lots they kind of aren't.  Honolulu has corrals and is famous for people lining up wherever they please (including walkers up front, sigh).  And in 2012, it was the second largest marathon in the US.  It was combat running for the first few miles.

Trail Monster

Thanks SRL! I can understand that even though I'll never qualify for it.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop