Beginners and Beyond

George's Clearwater 50K RR (Read 66 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What I Expected, Not What I Hoped For

This was my first race since North Coast 24 when I developed a sore knee and couldn't continue for the full 24 hours. I had a lot of concerns, the foremost one being that even though my weekly mileage was back up to about 40 per week, I hadn't run even one workout as long as 3 hours or 15 miles. On the running I had been doing, I'd had no problems with the knee, and with how I felt on the long runs I had been able to get in, I had no doubts about finishing, though I was concerned (and rightfully so as the race revealed) about the 7 hour cutoff. Since I had not been running any farther that 13 miles, I effectively had a one week taper from my normal training. This was the most unusual taper I've eve had in that it consisted almost entirely of doing nothing. That wasn't really what I'd planned,but I simply was not motivated enough to run in the cold, and once I got to Florida it was too late to run anything meaningful.

The trip itself began on a good note. I had to stop by the pharmacy to refill a prescription for eczema. Normally this would not be running related, but it was causing small blistering on my feet - just one more thing to worry about. How would my feet, which were already irritated, hold up to 50K of pounding on pavement? When I arrived at the off-site parking lot I was immediately picked up by the shuttle van as the last passenger before heading to the airport. I was considered for pre-screening and was through security in minutes. My flights were on time; I didn't need to check any luggage; and my rental car was ready for me. Here's where things began to take another turn. I missed the exit from the airport, so had to do another circuit. Once out of the airport I hit rush hour traffic that rivaled Philadelphia's. A couple hours later after exiting the Interstate, I had to call my daughter three times to get directions either from making wrong turns of being confused by the directions. At least I made it there and had a nice, but short, visit with her and her husband before heading back to Clearwater early Saturday afternoon. The pre-race dinner and FE (forum encounter) was at Maggiano's. We eat plenty, talked at lot, and generally had a good time. It was odd that the non-runners outnumbered the runners by 6 to 4, but 2 spouses and 3 children weren't running along with one runner who lived nearby but isn't ready to start racing again. The runners were me, Holly (non-RW/RA), Lara, and her son Christian. Caitlin was a no-show.

I had a 5:00 am wake up call, which uncharacteristically, I did need to get me up in time. The hotel didn't serve breakfast early enough, a common failing of hotels. Don't they realize that many races start about the time they begin serving breakfast. After grabbing a breakfast of an Egg McMuffin and coffee, I found one of the last parking spaces in the main lot by the start. I was surprised how crowded it was. Last year with less parking available, I don't remember it being that bad. I looked around for my friends but didn't see anyone. Van spotted me. He was the only one I saw that I knew before the the race unless you count the volunteer at packet pickup who recognized me from the RW forums. While wandering around I managed to trip over the edge of a ramp. Between that and the printed race instructions, I opted at the last minute to take advantage of the early start at 6:35 am. In hindsight it was a very good choice for me even though I was fairly confident I would make the 7 hour cutoff. It also gave me a slight chance that everyone I knew wouldn't have left by the time I finished. I knew some needed to leave right away, but even the ones who didn't would be finishing over an hour ahead of me. Unless they had other reasons to stay, I could expect them to hang around waiting for me.

Since the early start was for 5M and HM walkers, and those who expected to be over 6 hours in the marathon or 6:30 in the 50K, I lined up in front expecting to be an early leader. It's the first time in a long time that my chip time and gun time have been the same. I did get out in or near the lead early but settled back because the runners in front were going faster than was prudent. I was going to say faster than I wanted to, but I'd really like to run a 50K at that pace. I'm just not ready yet. After winding around a few blocks we reach the large bridge over the bay to Clearwater Beach. I did run partway up, but decided walking the upside of the bridges would be better even if that disrupted my time schedule for walk breaks. I could always adjust with little problem. There was a lot of leap frogging among us early runners with some chatting as we moved along, but eventually we spread out so there was less of that. We were also restricted to the sidewalk until the lead car and runners passed us. I don't remember exactly where I was at the time, maybe between 3 and 4 miles, but he was flying and well ahead of anyone else. I think he ran 1:08 or so for the half. Christian caught up to be just before 5 miles running with a small group. I think he was about 15th then. He must have left them in the dust later because he finished 5th overall and first in his age group. Caitlin passed me about a mile later looking strong on her way to an age group win. I must have passed the turn around for the half just before Holly reached it as she also went on for an age group win. I keep some speedy company!

As I said the start felt too fast, so I backed off, then settled into a run 9 minute, walk one minute schedule adjusted for walking up the bridges. I felt pretty good and was moving well. The question was what would happen when I passed the distance of my longest training runs. A cold, detached assessment said that schedule was too ambitious, but I wanted to see what I could handle off the training I've been doing. I haven't adjusted my Garmin splits yet, but I did make note of and remember a few of the splits based on the mile markers. At 11 miles I was still at exactly a 12:00 pace. I had slowed just a little the last couple miles, but not by much. With my gradually slowing I shifter to a run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute pattern which I was able to hold through 20 miles. during that section of the course the Sun was now high enough to have a noted effect on me and the other runners. I wasn't hot yet - I don't think it got much over 70 all day - but there was no shade so we were getting direct sunlight on us. That's when I also started using the water to douse my head for cooling while continuing to drink Gatorade.

Somewhere around 20 to 21 miles is where I started to fall apart. I still had energy to run, but several problems were developing: 1) my right ankle was getting sore from my foot plant, 2) my right hip was starting to ache from the impact, and 3) my quads were sore and complaining. In runner parlance, my quads were trashed. It hurt to run up hill and downhill. I had outrun by conditioning. The real effect of that would no be apparent until I stopped after crossing the finish and later in the day. From being on a pace for a 6:20-6:30 finish, I saw my project finish time erode to 6:30, 6:35, 6:40, even 6:50 becoming questionable. Now I was really glad I had opted for the early start. If things got much worse I would be cutting it very close to stay under 7:00. By this time I was walking long stretches and only shuffling along for a couple minutes when I could see a discernible landmark ahead like another bridge, a street crossing, or an aid station. After slipping to over 16:30 for one mile, I decided that I couldn't let the projected finish time continue to slip. As long as I was shuffling more than running so I wasn't impacting the pavement hard enough to aggravate my sore ankle and hip, I found I could run longer, and even more surprising, run faster than I had been. My pace dropped to 15:00, then 14:30. When I passed 29 miles and had only a little over 2 to go, I tried to push it harder. While it was highly unlikely, I though it might still be possible to finish in 6:45. About this time the course started winding through a residential area rather being a long, straight street where it was hard to see progress other than when you passed a mile sign. With several runners in sight I made an effort to catch them. I passed one, then another, then a pair. Finally we turned a corner and I could see the bridge. It gave me a boost but also a shiver of dread knowing I had to run downhill on a spiral walk before reaching the park where the finish was. Recall that my quads are trashed. This was going to hurt! Unbelievably I passed another runner going down the spiral ramp, then caught up to two more as we turned into the park and could see the finish. One sprinted ahead as her little daughter was cheering loudly for her. I manged to hold off the other, that or she didn't bother trying to "sprint" with me. I must have opened it up to a sub-10:00 pace by then, which was the best I could do.

I think I did have a smile when I crossed the finish line, but as soon as I stopped, I bent over and could hardly move. Lara and her family were still there waiting for the awards ceremony to get her medal, so they helped me to a chair and got me something to eat and drink. When they announced the awards ceremony, Christian had to help me get out of the chair. Once up I could painfully shuffle over to where the awards were being presented, but for the first time in my life I felt, and probably looked, like the runners in those post-marathon videos that can't walk up and down stairs. I'm almost surprised I was able to drive back to my hotel where I soaked in a hot tub for a while. It was difficult and hurt every time I had to get up, though once I was moving for a little it got a lot better. Basically what I think happened was that I had pushed myself well beyond what I was trained for both in terms of pace and distance. The result was a lot more muscle damage resulting in the soreness and stiffness I experienced. Last year under Ian's coaching I was getting in more runs in the 18-26 mile range. That's almost double what my long runs have been even though my weekly mileage is higher this year. I half expected this, but hoped I could get by with a variation on how I used to train for marathons. Even there my long runs were falling short of what I wanted and what I did over the summer just couldn't carry me over this long. I have considerable doubt on what I can handle at Jackpot in a month. At least with a 24-hour goal I'll be walking a lot more much earlier in the race and hopefully won't trash my quads like I did this time. I don't know if an easier pace or more generous run/walk ration would have made a lot of difference, but I have to think it might.

For those interested in the numbers, my time was 6:45:38. I finished 100th of 135 overall and 1st of 2 in my AG.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Zelanie

Hey, congrats on the AG win! Smile  I'm glad you got through the race without your knee acting up again.  I'm thinking that the easier training you did might have been just what you needed.  No, it wasn't enough to finish without all of the soreness you're experiencing, but maybe it was enough recovery to get you to the start and finish line.  Plus, now you have a very "LR" in your recent training. Smile

Congrats!

PADRunner

Congrats on the AG! Well done race & report.

delicate flower

Nice work, George.  Maybe not what you had hoped for, but pretty darn good considering you didn't train as well as you had hoped.  Congrats on the AG hardware too.  A win is a win!

<3

You Rang?

Congratulations on the AG win!  I understand the problem with the pre-race breakfast.  One hotel I stayed at had bananas, bagels, and band-aids laid out for runners.  Every other destination race I've run requires a 7-11 stop on the way to the starting line.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

happylily

A ranking of 100th on 135 is impressive to me considering your lack of LRs in training and your age. You are brave, George. To go from racing 800m to ultras requires a total change in training and racing methods. It's not an easy thing to do when we are set in our own ways. But you seem to be doing great as a student of ultras and I'm not surprised by that. I think with more training cycles and more race experience, you will become very satisfied with your future ultra performances. Now be sure to recover well and congratulations on a great effort!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Lets see if I can post my splits here, since I worked out the approximate splits prorating the Garmin splits with known splits at official mile markers.

<colgroup><col width="64" /><col width="79" /><col width="64" /></colgroup>

1 11:55 11:55
                2 11:49 23:44
                3 12:16 36:00
                4 12:27 48:27
                5 11:36 1:00:03
                6 11:49 1:11:52
                7 11:52 1:23:44
                8 11:49 1:35:33
                9 11:57 1:47:30
                10 12:17 1:59:47
                11 12:13 2:12:00
                12 12:18 2:24:18
                13 12:23 2:36:41
                14 12:43 2:49:24
                15 12:50 3:02:24
                16 12:54 3:15:18
                17 13:54 3:29:12
                18 13:20 3:42:32
                19 12:50 3:55:22
                20 13:33 4:08:55
                21 14:01 4:22:56
                22 13:33 4:36:29
                23 14:24 4:50:53
                24 13:54 5:04:47
                25 15:09 5:19:56
                26 16:35 5:36:29
                27 14:53 5:51:22
                28 14:07 6:05:29
                29 14:27 6:19:56
                30 12:50 6:32:46
                31 12:10 6:44:56
                31.1 :42 6:45:38

Interestingly Garmin was not consistent in its variance with actual splits times. It was much too fast for the first 5 miles or so which included the 2 big bridges, the was only a little fast through mile 20 or so, then seemed to be slower. the 5, 8-11, 15, and 20 mile splits along with the final time are accurate and those are what I based my adjustments on so that "actual" splits would add up to match those times.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Zelanie - I'm anticipating the soreness will disappear quickly. I'm actually more concerned about the blisters. If the calloused skin comes off that's currently protecting the area, it will be a large, raw area. I'm hoping to get in at least one long run of 3 hours plus in the next 3 weeks before Jackpot. Getting through those long runs is all mental for me. I keep wondering if headphones and music will help.

PADRunner, Phil - thanks

Lurch - Thanks. The only times I've been able to avail myself of the hotel breakfast have been with 9:00 am race starts and at IAT 50K last year, and that was because they had a lot of truckers that stayed there which they catered to by opening breakfast at 5:00 am.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

delicate flower

BTW George, for crying out loud buy yourself a GPS for your car already.  

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A ranking of 100th on 135 is impressive to me considering your lack of LRs in training and your age. You are brave, George. To go from racing 800m to ultras requires a total change in training and racing methods. It's not an easy thing to do when we are set in our own ways. But you seem to be doing great as a student of ultras and I'm not surprised by that. I think with more training cycles and more race experience, you will become very satisfied with your future ultra performances. Now be sure to recover well and congratulations on a great effort!

Thanks. There's an amazing amount to learn in training and racing ultras. It's far more than running more miles. It may not have been clear in my race report, but I was satisfied with this. I expected to run about 6:45. I had hoped to possibly pull out a 6:30 but knew that was a long shot based on my lack of long runs. Starting with a run 9 walk 1 ratio was much too ambitious and I knew that at the time, but sometimes you need to ignore caution and test yourself even if it means you may crash later in the race.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

WCrunner defying the odds again.  My father ran the Bridge Run in Sarasota each year (4 mile race) and routinely finished 2nd or 3rd in his age group M80-90 at 15:00m miles.  He would tell me that he felt like that was a sprint and it was hard to get any leg turnover or push.  My take on that -- that it is really hard to sustain a good pace as we age.  To do that in excess of 30 miles deserves accolades.

Well done, well done.

happylily

Thanks. There's an amazing amount to learn in training and racing ultras. It's far more than running more miles. It may not have been clear in my race report, but I was satisfied with this. I expected to run about 6:45. I had hoped to possibly pull out a 6:30 but knew that was a long shot based on my lack of long runs. Starting with a run 9 walk 1 ratio was much too ambitious and I knew that at the time, but sometimes you need to ignore caution and test yourself even if it means you may crash later in the race.

You always seem so in tuned with your present abilities and how your body is doing during a race. This helps you work out good racing strategies. That is a great quality to have as a runner. You have learned a lot in the past 2 years and it definitely shows. I agree that sometimes, though, we just can't resist the need to test ourselves a little and we go a little too far and end up paying for it in the end. Judging by your splits, though, I wouldn't say that you crashed. Maybe it tired you more in the end than if you had started slower, but overall, I think you did just fine. With the lack of LRs during training, you were bound to slow down in the last miles, no matter what pace you had in the beginning.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You always seem so in tuned with your present abilities and how your body is doing during a race. This helps you work out good racing strategies. That is a great quality to have as a runner. You have learned a lot in the past 2 years and it definitely shows. I agree that sometimes, though, we just can't resist the need to test ourselves a little and we go a little too far and end up paying for it in the end. Judging by your splits, though, I wouldn't say that you crashed. Maybe it tired you more in the end than if you had started slower, but overall, I think you did just fine. With the lack of LRs during training, you were bound to slow down in the last miles, no matter what pace you had in the beginning.

At my pace there isn't a whole lot of difference between my running and brisk walking paces during races. It was my quads being trashed that was the distinguishing mark of my crashing around mile 21 more so than the pace. With walking using different muscles or at least using them differently, I was still moving at a 14:00-14:30 pace through mile 25 while walking. After the more extended walking break in mile 26, I was recovered enough to start running sub-13:00 pace again and eventually sub-12:00 in the last 2 miles. Combined with the walking that dropped my overall average significantly.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the race!  Sorry your result was not what you were hoping for.  I am sorry I was unable to make it up there this year!  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congrats on finishing and your AG win, even though the race was tough. I honestly don't think I would ever run a road race that is longer than the marathon, I'd stick to trails for that Smile Great job nonetheless!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)