Beginners and Beyond

Cleveland Marathon RR - shortest report ever (Read 169 times)

Trail Monster

I ran Cleveland yesterday mostly because my team captain offered to let me room with her. I had a stressful week of switching shifts at work (day, night, day, etc) and working weekends so I really didn't run at all for about 10 days before the marathon. I had no motivation to run but I was excited for the FE so I went anyway.

Had a great time meeting Bob, Jenny, and Lara. Slept well. Woke up on time. Got us to race with a little time to spare. Started out slow. Just when I started to feel warmed up the clouds parted and the sun came out. People were going down with heat stroke by mile 5. Ambulances were driving up and down the course the entire race. I thought I could at least do a 4:45 but I hit the half at 2:20-ish and felt like crap despite drinking plenty. Decided I no longer cared about time. Joined a run/walk party of people celebrating Jim Tuckers 100th marathon finish. Thoroughly enjoyed walking with Jim and company for the next 3+ hours and listening to all their stories.

Crossed finish line in a personal worst 5:49:48 and don't care at all. Marathon #7 is in the bag and I met a lot of awesome people. Running (even very slowly) is awesome. Big grin

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

It sounds like you had a fabulous time!  What a fun way to spend the rest of the race, once you decided to forget about time.  Cool.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I heard it got warm and humid and I was expecting to hear a terrible report. Glad you had a good time anyway!!  Congrats.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm glad you got your "personal worst." Smile Actually, that sounds like fun.

Village people

That is still a 26.2 for our team! Congrats and it sounds like you made a smart choice.

Love the casual "oh by the way" marathon report.

Dave

Nothing wrong with running slow, you still finished, way to go.

Making it fun is what it's about sometimes. Great job Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

Making it fun is what it's about sometimes. Great job Smile

I agree! Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Great job on the finish.  I'm glad you took it easy on such a hellish day!  And I'm jealous of you meeting Bob, Jenny, and Lara.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I thought I was going to die out on my 5 miler yesterday and it was no more than 80 degrees but the sun can cripple the best of us!!

Congrats to you.  Oh and don't forget.......YOU FINISHED A FREAKIN MARATHON!!! Big grin

Randy

camille2

Congrats!!  Glad you enjoyed it!

LRB

Cleveland should rename itself the heat stroke, damn!

Hip Redux

My husband did Cleveland and ended up in a walk/run strategy at the end too.  He had a much grumpier attitude about the weather though. lol

Congrats on a fun race!

Docket_Rocket

Now you know why I am always in a bad mood....

My husband did Cleveland and ended up in a walk/run strategy at the end too.  He had a much grumpier attitude about the weather though. lol

Congrats on a fun race!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page