Beginners and Beyond

ThursDaily Penguins...Calling in Sick? (Read 30 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Not me.  IT dept. has a big screen.

Short run for us today.  Knees a little sore after yesterdays fast 6.

Enjoy The Match.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  9 miles done, more tonight to and from Pilates.  This new case is interfering with my running. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Brilliant, that is a nice pic!

Damaris

Philliefan33

I didn't call in sick.  I will be at a retirement luncheon for a colleague.  I'm trying to figure how to stream the match to my phone.  Otherwise I will have to depend on score updates from DD.

I ran this morning, and it sucked.  It was too humid and too early.  I had to take a couple of short walk breaks up two relatively small hills, and my overall pace was very slow (even for me).  Oh well, the next run is bound to be better -- 5 miles in the books.

Philliefan33

Doh!  The match is on ESPN, and I have "Watch ESPN" on my phone.  That wasn't so hard to figure out after all.

Bin Running

Jerry, did you report to work in jersey? Good luck with the match.. I am calling for a draw.. ;p

Damaris, hope you get the case wrapped up soon.

Margo, remember to turn down the vol on the phone and don't jump up should US scored..

4M with some strides done.. Going to watch a movie on PC and watch the game online..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

3.25 recovery miles yesterday morning sans Garmin. A former member of my running club passed away about a week and a half ago. She went out for a morning run in a remote part of India and never returned; they found her at the bottom of a ravine a week later. I never had the chance to meet her as she left the area to pursue a PhD before I joined the club, but it struck me doubly as she was both a member of "my" community (runners in general/my club in particular) and my age. We're too young to be dying. One of the founding members of the club sent out an email with this suggestion: "Here is what I came up with: one day this week, leave your garmin, ipod, cell phone, and other gadgets behind, and just go out for a run. Listen to your body, take in the environment around you, and smile at each person you pass. In other words, participate in three of Kate’s favorite passions—running, the environment, and people." So I did just that. It was lovely and it was emotional and though I'm not religious I said a silent prayer for her family as I trudged up the hill at the end of my route.

This morning was a track workout with my club, 5.6 miles total with a ladder - 400/600/800/1000 at roughly 5k pace and back down again slightly faster. About the same volume that I've been doing but I ran a little bit faster today, I feel like I actually got a workout instead of just trying to get my legs used to the pounding. Think my running form in general and especially my form at faster paces is getting a bit more efficient, which is helping - I have a few different cues that I've been using to remember to stay light on my feet and keep my glutes working.

And in non-running news, DH has been preapproved for a mortgage! The preapproval amount is a fair bit more than most of the houses we're interested in, so hopefully we'll be in good shape to make an offer on something once he has a couple paychecks and the sign-on bonus from his new job in the bank to get the actual loan process rolling - maybe mid-September.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rained like a big dog yesterday in San Antonio, we got 3 inches of rain.  Badly needed and brought some cooler weather, but storms predicted again for this afternoon made me get up this morning and do my third morning run/walk in a row.  I normally don't run 3 days in a row but have been feeling pretty good so figured this week I would run 5 days instead of 4 days. Glad I got my run in this morning because, like yesterday morning, right when I finished the dark clouds began to gather.   This morning I went "long" -  4.2 miles, which is long for me these days, but probably not for any of you, except maybe Oski.  I ran through the park by the Zoo and also along the Zoo fence-line...and it is kinda spooky hearing animal noises coming out of the dark at you.    Good run/walk though, felt really strong, did my running segments well, and the weather was very cooperative, only 73 degrees, humidity was at 82 percent and the dew-point was under 70 for a change. Nice.

No calling in sick for me either.  There are only 2 of us in my work area doing the work of 4 people for the next month or so, thus we can't be sick right now, it is not allowed!    Happy short run, Jerry.  Slap some biofreeze on those knees!

Congrats on getting your 9 miles in already, Damaris.  Sorry about that darn interfering case.

Running in humidity and higher dew-point times, Margo, takes a lot of getting used to.  Damaris and I do it all the time in our locations cuz our weather is pretty much like that all the time in spring and summer; so although it is damn annoying, still, we can manage in it.  People that aren't used to it...not so much.   I feel for ya.  Congrats on getting your miles done in those conditions.

Congrats on the 4 miles, Bin.  So you're going to watch the movie and the game at the same time?  Talented!   Who are you rooting for?  Well, I won't be watching the game cuz I'm working.  Even if I wasn't working, probably still wouldn't watch it mainly cuz I don't get soccer, e.g., don't understand the rules - other than get the ball in the net/goal area as much as possible, lol - like 'offsides' and penalties and what those cards are for, etc.  Still want the US to win as a matter of national pride, but watching the game would just be lost on me.

Wow, Lauren, that is so awful about your running club member.   Condolences and my heart goes out to her family.   She was in India?  Beautiful country;, but, as with any country,  there also can be some very unsafe places to run - especially for a lone female - and also some 'questionable people' - again, like in any country - who might target a lone female.  I hope her death was not the result of foul play.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Scotty - no foul play; it appeared that she slipped on some loose rock while running along a trail and fell quite a long distance (several hundred feet).

Bin Running

Scotty, abt 2 hrs till kick off.. so movie then soccer. For this match, neither.. Hoping France to lift the cup though.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm at work, but since I usually watch all of the ACC men's basketball tournament online, I doubt I'll have any trouble watching the World Cup today.  I don't really follow soccer or know much of anything about it, but people seem sort of fired up .....  The new shoes came in yesterday, I'll try to post up a pic.  Haven't tried them on yet, though.  It'll either be tomorrow afternoon or Saturday, because tonight is chorus rehearsal!!

Jerryb -- laughing at the big screen!!

Docket -- I hate when work interferes with the stuff you really want to do!!

As for Brilliant's pic, my mom and I went on a trip to Italy several years ago.  Many folks on the tour group asked if we were sisters -- they said a mother/daughter pair couldn't get along together as well as we did.  My mother's response was always, "No, this is my daughter.  She's just had a hard life."  Thanks, mom!  Good to know I was a 25-year old who looked 50 ...

Phillie -- the weather here today is brutal!!  It was hot and humid by the time I got up this morning, blech!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your intervals, and happy movie and game watching!!

Wow, Lauren, sad story about your co-runner!!  But awesome news about the pre-approval!!

Scotty -- sounds like a nice morning run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Shoes!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Just bought 'em.  I'm trying new things.