Beginners and Beyond

Race Report with Photos: CACCC Mardis Gras 5K (Read 75 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 16th race of 2013.  Held in New Braunfels TX, about 30 minutes from San Antonio.  Event supported Children's Advocacy Center of Comal County (CACC) - <cite>www.comalcac.org/</cite> - for the prevention, detection, investigation and treatment of child abuse. 186 participants on a  cloudy wet day of about 62 degrees at start time,  86 percent humidity, passing showers, and a pretty stiff wind blowing at times.  Start and finish in the Creekside shopping center area.  The course was pretty flat roads that went partly through the shopping center area and partly on roads around the shopping area.   I ended up with a time of 32:24, chip time of 32:07.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

C'est moi!  Your host for this report on a cloudy, wet, windy, day.

Goodies being set out for post-race

Registration volunteers

Shirt hand-out volunteers, with one of them showing the race shirt participants got.

Another of our great volunteers out there for us

My Senior Citizen buds, Luke (79 years young) and Ed (green shirt, 80 years young) still going strong!

Luke and another running bud of ours, Bernadette.  Luke was a bit cold so actually ran the whole 5K wearing his jeans instead of peeling down to his running shorts.

More participants and supporters awaiting the start

Getting ready to start

ON THE COURSE

For most of the first half of the course we were heading right into a wind blowing about 15 - 20 mph, with occasional rain spitting on us, but nothing heavy, thank goodness.  When we headed back to the finish the no rain and no wind but without the wind we really felt how humid it was out there. The roads were pretty much "open" with no housing or other scenery around, except for some type of building under construction.

Heading back to the finish

These 2 young ladies, in front of me at this point on the course,  did great.  I was pretty much around them for most of the course.  They'd pass me, I'd pass them, they'd pass me, and so it went.  They ended up finishing just a tad behind me.

AFTER THE FINISH

Happy Scottydog finisher!

Even happier, with post-race beer and sausage wrap!

Me and Bernadette

Bernadette and Ed...

...who both won Age Group medals

Even running in jeans, Luke got an Age Group medal also

Me and the 2 young ladies I played 'leapfrog' with on the course

The young ladies with their lovely older "sister"

"Happy Finishers" and supporters enjoying the post-race festivities that included music, all those pastry goodies, lots of various drinks, sausage wraps - so many sausage wraps, in fact, that they announced for everybody to take some home with them...and they sure were good too!  Compliments to our grilling chef!

"Brother of Flash" in the yellow suit actually fell on the course and got a bloody knee, yet still managed to go fast enough to get an Age Group award.

EPILOG

Considering there were 3 other races this same day in the San Antonio - New Braunfels area, this event got a nice turn-out and, in spite of the weather, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.  Not a scenic course, but a very nice flat course, and a good course for a PR on a nice day, for those attempting a 5K PR.  Outstanding support from  our volunteers, our traffic control police officers, our grilling chefs, and 'goodies' folks, the music guy, awards guy, etc.  Would definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners and definitely plan to do it again in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Outstanding RR as usual.. Loved all the pics..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Scotty - next race you need to wear one of those yellow man outfits like that one dude.  Enjoyed the RR as always.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

robinde

Love your race reports.  I can almost quit running and just live vicariously through your reports.

Jen2011

Great race report and race, Scotty!  Loved seeing all of your pictures.

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Scotty, great story & pictures, as always!

My goal is to someday run in jeans & still get an AG award.

Dave

Luke79

Pics look like home.  Thanks for sharing as always Mr. Scotty Smile

workinprogress11

Thanks for the great RR.  They only put bagels and fruit out for 5k's around here.  Your stuff looks a lot better!

Guys in full-body tights are a little creepy.

Other than that, great pics and report as always Smile

B-Plus

Great pics as always. Looks fun.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well done, Scotty. I especially like the matching shirt, shoes, and socks!!

Coastal

Great report as always Scotty!  Big grin

happylily

Such a fun report, Scotty! Thanks a lot for sharing! Great pictures as usual! (but I agree with Shirfan that men in full-body tights are scary...lol)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

BruceD555

Such a fun report, Scotty! Thanks a lot for sharing! Great pictures as usual! (but I agree with Shirfan that men in full-body tights are scary...lol)

Ditto!

As usual, an awesome RR and I love how you do the photo-journaling of the race. BTW, that is probably one of the most "un-scenic" race courses I've ever seen in your race reports - ughh.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

For a Mardi Gras themed race, the pictures are more family friendly than I expected...lol  As usual, I'm impressed at the times you put up while stopping for pictures, etc.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013