Beginners and Beyond

Penguins love more daylight Monday (Read 38 times)

Mmmmm...beer

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Decided to push my morning run to this afternoon.  Wasn't a very hard decision, run in 35* and darkness or 65* and sunshine, I'll take the latter please. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  A recovery run later tonight.

D2, enjoy your run tonight.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning Dave.

3M recovery done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm in Indiana, and therefore have spent most of my life without daylight savings time.  We signed on when Mitch Daniels became governor, and may people are still upset about it.  I like Mitch Daniels, and I'm not upset about daylight savings time.  I will say this though.  I still don't get it.  I spent decades of my life getting up an hour earlier when those of us at work would decide that the summer was getting so hot that we'd like to start earlier in the day.  Now, we just change our clock every year on a day that seems completely arbitrary.  The other part of the equation is that it will be sunny outside past 9 o'clock this summer.  That's been the case since we started this madness, and it doesn't make sense to someone like myself.  If you want to get to bed early, you'd better be good at sleeping with the sun shining through your blinds.  Do you want to go to a drive in movie?  You better know that you're going to wait until 10 for the movie to start.

Anyway, that's my rant on daylight savings time.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

I also grew up without DST (PR does not have it), but I live with knowing about it because we needed to know whether the US primetime shows started at 8 or 9pm.  Hehe.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

LOL...So, you know that we're just lying to ourselves when we move the clocks.  I think people who grew up with daylight savings think they're magically changing time sometimes.  I think the weirdest part for me is that I sometimes change time zones multiple times in the same day, and I'm still in the same state.  If I drive 1 hour west, the time on my phone is the same as when I left the house.  When I drive back, it's an hour travel, and an hour of magical time lost to time zones.

I also grew up without DST (PR does not have it), but I live with knowing about it because we needed to know whether the US primetime shows started at 8 or 9pm.  Hehe.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning penguins.

SRD for me. I've never had an opinion on Daylight Savings. But this is the first year I am a runner for it. As a morning runner, I am not happy to have to start running in the dark again. I was enjoying the fact that it was actually getting light

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I think it's worse in Russia.  I went from St. petersburg to Moscow and traveled more than 12 hours by train and they had the same time.  It was hard to understand why it was 7am in Red Square and the sun was at its highest....

LOL...So, you know that we're just lying to ourselves when we move the clocks.  I think people who grew up with daylight savings think they're magically changing time sometimes.  I think the weirdest part for me is that I sometimes change time zones multiple times in the same day, and I'm still in the same state.  If I drive 1 hour west, the time on my phone is the same as when I left the house.  When I drive back, it's an hour travel, and an hour of magical time lost to time zones.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I do hate that my evening run is all in the daylight now.  It's not fun this tropical sun.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins.

I took an URD yesterday -- was busy all day, then when I had time to run in the evening I fell asleep on the couch instead.  Oops.  6-7 miles planned for tonight.

With the switch to DST, I drove to work in the dark again this morning.  But since I typically run in the afternoon or evening, I will appreciate having more time to run in daylight.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice running weekend for me.

Did this 5K on Saturday:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8015ed97b1e24862942c1995c43df92a/resume#focus

We finally got some rain.  Saturday afternoon it rained quite a bit.  Early Sunday morning around 2 a.m. we got major thunderstorms and then a hail storm that lasted about 20 minutes.  Gail and I could hear the hail bouncing off the roof, sidewalks, windows, etc.  Luckily, no real damage done to house or cars, thank goodness.

Sunday I went to Randolph Air Force Base and did 4.3 miles.  Lots of sunshine and blue skies at 9 a.m., but also a 25 mph wind that was not fun running into. But at least it was a warm wind.  Good quality run, my 'long' run for the week.

Today is a rest day.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

I do hate that my evening run is all in the daylight now.  It's not fun this tropical sun.

Haha -- that's funny that while I was posting that I was glad to get some daylight, D is cursing it!  I'll be cursing it in a couple of months when our temperatures get hot, but right now I'll take it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Don't blame you, Dave, I prefer the sunshine and warmer temps in the afternoon too.  We have cold mornings, but then it heads into the 70s for the afternoon.

Happy recovery run, Damaris, hope your asthma is behaving.

Congrats on the 3, Bin.

Yeah, I don't get it either, Awood. When I lived in Hawaii, they don't have DLS there either and do just fine.    Unlike Kristin, though, who is a morning runner,  I appreciate it at times, as I am a PM runner like Margo, so I do like the longer daylight hours.

Enjoy your SRD, Kristin.

Good luck with your miles tonight, Margo.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Don't have DLS where I am and maybe that's why I don't get it too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar