Beginners and Beyond

"Thole Thurvivors" Thursday Winter Penguins (Read 30 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thole:  To endure; to suffer

Today's thread dedicated to all our Penguins putting up with the crazy winter weather and temperatures.

As for me, I am not a "thole thurvivor" of winter today.  Will be 67 degrees today in San Antonio.  Plan on some hills today after work, about 4 miles worth.  I did a nice 3.4 miles around the university campus after work yesterday.  58 degrees and a bit of drizzling rain.  No wind, though, which was nice, so even with the drizzle it was quite pleasant outside.

Also, I decided to join that "miles' game.  Not the challenge, just that "for fun and motivation' miles thing/game.  Registered today and logged my miles for the week it asked for.  Now I guess I wait to be assigned to a team, right?

Bin Running

Scotty, enjoy the good weather and the 4M.

Didnt report in but read all the post. 5M done in the morning. Still on post marathon lazy spell. Haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, enjoy the good weather and the 4M.

Didnt report in but read all the post. 5M done in the morning. Still on post marathon lazy spell. Haa

I bet you are having some pretty good weather yourself, Bin, being in Singapore. Unless it is still the rainy season.

Bin Running

Still pretty rainy and overcast most of the time. But loving it!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Scotty and Bin!  Morning to all turtles!

I took an SRD last night due to the migraine so 7 tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Scotty, Bin and Docket!

I'm hoping to return to running today myself, but it will probably be on the dreadmill.  The low was supposed to be 24 today, as they were predicting a warm up.  Well, it's -5!  Boo!

Still tobacco free though!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning all.

I got 4 easy this morning out side, after 3 days of indoor running. 40 and a heavy mist but felt good.

Zelanie

Morning!  I got my track workout in last night, but forgot to pack socks.  Of course I had worn tights to work that day, so no help there.  It was raining and my feet got wet in my shoes, so I have a bit of a blister now.  Other than that, it went well.  I am still not quite hitting my target pace, but I think that will come with time.  7ish tonight.

Scotty- That's a good point about marathon training in the summer.  Here in Oregon it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but there's a good chance that I'm going to be in Costa Rica this summer.  I'll either have heat or elevation, or both.  I guess I will get stronger for it, though!  Glad that you've joined the miles game.  I'm on team 4midable if you get assigned to that one. Smile

Bin- Morning!

D- Glad you're feeling better today.  And hopefully got your right coffee order this time!

Awood- Congrats on being tobacco free!  Also, I love your tattoo!  I'm so glad you explained the meaning.  Now you will get to find out if any marathoners behind you have the mental skills to read roman numerals!

PAD- Glad you were able to get outside today!

Jerry- I am thinking of running a bigger marathon for my first (Portland), so there should be tracking.  I also might have to stop and wait for a train to go by on the course, though!

Today was a big change for me.  I ran in the morning.

I am not a morning person.  But I'd rather see than run in the dark at night.  Been trying to get up a little earlier to do some calisthenics the past couple days.  You know, trying to shake off the Christmas and New Year's fog, and get back to a more healthy routine.

Then noticed it is light enough outside nowadays, and will only be getting lighter.  So, instead of doing calisthenics, might as well go for a run before work.  Only 2 miles, and the trail was a bit icy.  But it was a start!  And nice to actually be able to see where the ice was Smile

Now I anticipate running every morning, except for designated rest days, and except for crappy weather days, and other excuses.  But otherwise, I'll become a morning runner!  I hate morning runners.  I hate cheerful people in the morning.  I hate the smell of coffee.  I hate the smell of perfumes and colognes drifting as people walk into work.  I hate the light chit chat chatter of voices in the morning around the water cooler and the break room and down the hall way.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had dentist and eye checkups yesterday, and both were fine.  DH, on the other hand, is going to cost me $$ at both places.  Ah well, I guess I can't be too smug that my genes are better than  his!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, and I'm glad it's not quite as cold!

Scotty -- glad your wet run was fun!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Docket -- is the migraine gone?

Awood -- dreadmill, bah!  Good luck!!

PAD -- glad you were able to get outdoors!!

Zelanie -- have a good 7ish in SOCKS!!

old -- getting out of bed early when it's cold outside is something I am NO good at!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

It was gone after 8pm last night, so yes, but I woke up dehydrated.  Blah.  Hydrating now.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi pens...

I ran six easy miles in my new shoes and it felt pretty good. The PF is still there, but I think it is slowly abating. I am golf balling, icing, and stretching more than several times a day so we'll see.  Marathon training with DW starts the first week of February so I am re-building my mileage base.  She found a 16 week plan that peaks at 45 mpw and is four days a week. I don't mind the fewer miles and one (or two) less days because I have already accepted the fact that I won't PR. My goal for this marathon is to help DW get her goal which is a sub 4:00. If training goes well, I am secretly going to push the pace to try to get her a BQ which is a sub 3:55.

Have a good day.

tracilynn

My sinuses are still messed up. Went to doc yesterday and have sinus infection. Taking antibiotics & feel 100% better already. Had 3 days off - will run a later tonight. Damn pace bunny is ahead of me.  Don't like that. Ha.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your hills tonight.  I thought thole also meant understand.  I've read the phrase, "I can't thole that."  Have fun with the mileage game.  I've resisted joining, because I've missed so much time the past two years with injury.  I figure if I try to push the miles, I'm sure to get injured again and I don't want to let down a team.

Bin - five is good.  Coming off marathon training, you should be fine for your March half, even if you only do half the mileage you did then.

Damaris - hope the headache is gone today.  Enjoy your seven.

Awood - I hope your run goes well, whether indoors or out.

PADRunner - after the past few days, 40 feels like a heat wave.

Z -  have a good run this evening.  I hope the blister doesn't bother you.

OFS - good job on the morning run.  I am also not a morning person, though I do love the smell (and taste) of coffee. The only time I run in the a.m. is at a race.  But I agree, running in the dark in winter is a problem, because you cant' see the ice underfoot.

HM - the optician is going to get some good $$$ from us as well.  Both DH and I wear bifocals, which are ridiculously expensive.  Trouble is, the only optician in town besides Walmart really messed up our glasses last time, so we need to find a new place.

Jack - I think you'll enjoy your training with your wife.  I'm surprised she didn't run the last one with you.  She's done most of the HMs with you, hasn't she?

Tracilynn - I'm glad the sinus infection is so much better.  Enjoy your run.  The pace bunny is ahead of me too, but I think that as I increase my weekly mileage from 15 to 30 or so, I'll catch up.  It just isn't going to happen this month.

AFM:  sun is shining and it's 29 degrees - feels like 36.  So I'll grab a snack and get outside.  There is still a lot of ice on the roads, but it's starting to melt, finally.