Beginners and Beyond

Reassessing Goals... (Read 139 times)

happylily

PGD, just be careful and start walking if you feel pain anywhere during the race. There is a difference between pain from a bad blister and the pain you described. Maybe you read my recent RR, but if not, my SO, who is about the same age as you and looks like a smaller version of you (how the heck did you get huge like that anyway? Is is from the Puerto Rican food your wife feeds you? :-)), ran his first half 10 days ago, on much less training than you. He finished in 2:10, after running the first 7 miles and then switching to a run/walk, with a 9:1 ratio. We were both very happy with his time. BUT... He was NOT injured when he started the race and had no pain anywhere. Now he does. Big grin His shins have been bothering him since that day. So be very careful, respect your pain. Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

PGD, just be careful and start walking if you feel pain anywhere during the race. There is a difference between pain from a bad blister and the pain you described. Maybe you read my recent RR, but if not, my SO, who is about the same age as you and looks like a smaller version of you (how the heck did you get huge like that anyway? Is is from the Puerto Rican food your wife feeds you? :-)), ran his first half 10 days ago, on much less training than you. He finished in 2:10, after running the first 7 miles and then switching to a run/walk, with a 9:1 ratio. We were both very happy with his time. BUT... He was NOT injured when he started the race and had no pain anywhere. Now he does. Big grin His shins have been bothering him since that day. So be very careful, respect your pain. Good luck!

Thanks Lily, and yes...I will be very careful. As for me being a "big boy", I've been a weightlifter for many years now. I consume A LOT of protein (+200g/day) and I lift big and hard. Interestingly enough, I started running to get leaner and to prepare for my Tough Mudders and I came to really appreciate running. Then I tore my bicep and had to take a hiatus from lifting. Of course, that provided me an opportunity to really "throw myself" into running more often and now I don't think I could live without it. And wow...your husband's first HM w/ a 2:10, eh? Nice job there. Thanks again. Smile

happylily

Thanks Lily, and yes...I will be very careful. As for me being a "big boy", I've been a weightlifter for many years now. I consume A LOT of protein (+200g/day) and I lift big and hard. Interestingly enough, I started running to get leaner and to prepare for my Tough Mudders and I came to really appreciate running. Then I tore my bicep and had to take a hiatus from lifting. Of course, that provided me an opportunity to really "throw myself" into running more often and now I don't think I could live without it. And wow...your husband's first HM w/ a 2:10, eh? Nice job there. Thanks again. Smile

SO has been weightlifting for many years as well. Contrary to you, he is terrified at the idea that running may make him look smaller. I don't dare say anything about the love handles he's now starting to show and that he could afford to get a bit leaner through running. Big grin That's mostly due to an aging metabolism and enjoying life with a few too many beers on the weekend. What really matters to me is that having him do cardio work now means that he'll be around longer. That's what really matters.

So you're a big guy who cooks and looks good in a kilt? Lucky wife. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

So you're a big guy who cooks and looks good in a kilt? Lucky wife. Big grin

**Blushes**  Smile

MrNamtor

and It appears as if the answer is "If you're a runner, pain is inevitable.". I guess It should be qualified as to what degree, yes?

My friend, I'd qualify pain not in terms of degree so much as type. Shooting pain, searing pain etc is a sign of injury and should not be ignored, tolerated or run through. These types of pain are indications that you need to at the very least ease back and rest.

As for degree, many serious injuries start out not with a lot of pain, but with just a small "annoying" pain. I've heard people say "it just felt funny", meaning they initially didn't think of it as pain at all. They ran through it., and it developed into something that sidelined them for 6 months. So you can't go by degree.

I'm responding to what you're saying here literally, so you have to forgive me for that.

I'm actually not too far ahead of you in regard to the running game, and there are others who are way more qualified to advise you or anyone else in things running. But in terms of philosophy,  I've never subscribed to the balls-to-the-wall stitch-up-your-gaping-wound-and-keep-running mentality.

I run as part of an overall regimen of fitness that I plan on continuing into old age, God willing. That plan does not include being injured in a crippling way and damaging my body. In my opinion, it's better to go for longevity than to go for short term performance and risk long term pain and injury.

I don't care about a single race or a a single training run or ever a single week or month. I want to be working out when I'm 80 and older, if i have the privilege to live that long. That's the race I'm running.

Alright, that's my way more than 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

If it is ITBS, then what I've learned from my recent bout with it is that rest doesn't fix it completely, it helps, but you have to stretch the IT band.  The whole issue is that the ITB is tight and it gets inflamed where it rubs on your knee, which is why your knee hurts.  Keep it stretched and loose and you have less issues.  I lost a lot of miles in January because of it, and if it had happened closer to my scheduled half, I probably would have chose to take a DNS, rather than have a bad HM experience.  But we all have to make our own choices.  I think a big part of my being able to overcome it quickly was that I never ran through it, the couple of times it hit me hard, I stopped my run immediately and walked (one bout resulted in an 8 mile walk back to the car, but I wasn't going to push it and risk injury).  Then when I would feel it tightening up at the end of a run, I'd take the next day off instead of pushing it.  Then I realized that rest alone wasn't making it go away, so I started stretching and figured out that stretching is what really helped make it better.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MrNamtor

SO has been weightlifting for many years as well. Contrary to you, he is terrified at the idea that running may make him look smaller.

Most professional boxers run about 30 mpw and in fact "road work" is the foundation of their training. These guys are definitely not small, at least middleweight and above.

Better I Leave

But in terms of philosophy,  I've never subscribed to the balls-to-the-wall stitch-up-your-gaping-wound-and-keep-running mentality.

...Alright, that's my way more than 2 cents worth. Thanks for listening Big grin

Not at all buddy. I too have no intention of going "all out". For example, my bicep is healing quite well from the tear last October and subsequent surgery, right? Well my PT has instructed me to go "light" and I've only been curling with 25lb dumbbells. Do you know how hard it is for a guy like me to not want to go heavier? My God. Before my tear, I was grabbing 95s and curling!

Anyway, I saw my ortho the other day and he said not go any heavier than 25 until March. I said I thought I could go heavier and I was ready. He said it wasn't advisable. I've taken his advice to heart and I have not gone past 25. Kinda funny cuz when he asked what I thought I could do, I said "At least 45" and he replied "Why would you want to go that heavy?"..."Ummm....Because I can?" was my retort.

So that's just an example. I'm being good. There is some trepidation going into this race and I'm not going to push it. If I walk it, I walk it...No shame in that as far as I can see, ya know?

MrNamtor

yeah you totally have the right attitude.