Beginners and Beyond

Race Report - The Surf City Half Marathon: The View from the Back of the Pack (Read 139 times)

Just B.S.

Great report. Congrats to your wife and to you for giving up what could have been a

"race" for you to give your wife that experience.

SheCan

Lurch, this is a really nice RR.   Congratulations to you and your wife for doing this together.  Sometimes in our passions we forget that real people are more important then our hobbies.  It's wonderful that now you have this shared memory.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Supersono99

I enjoyed your honest RR. Since the full was going on at the same time, why were they taking down the finish line after four plus hours? Did you end up finishing last? Your wife's skirt was pretty. Congrats to both of you.

baxdaddy

just another runner

Nice RR.  Happy to see she didn't quit.  That race presents a medal I really want.  You should have earned many "kitchen passes" for staying with the wifey when you wanted to let the big dogs eat.

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

You Rang?

Scottydawg, vwaldoguy, Just B.S., She Can & baxdaddy - Thank you for your kind words.

I enjoyed your honest RR. Since the full was going on at the same time, why were they taking down the finish line after four plus hours? Did you end up finishing last? Your wife's skirt was pretty. Congrats to both of you.

I did not come in last.  Forty people crossed the finish line after I did.  The race crew were taking down the finish line because the full marathon  runners had a two hour head start.  They started at 6:00 am.  The half started at 8:00 am and we crossed the starting line at 8: 30 am.  All runners had to be off the course by 1:30 PM so the highway could be reopened to vehicle traffic by 2:00 pm.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Love the Half

I walked a half marathon with Proofreader and it is a bitch.  On a couple of occasions I ran to a port-o-pottie not so much from a real need to relieve myself as from a need to make my legs do something different.  I was quite sore after that race.  Congrats to your wife for having the perseverance to finish.

You are right that races are messy.  The irony of all those GU's on a half marathon course is that it is highly doubtful a single one of them was physiologically necessary.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

Man that's tough, big accomplishment for her though, huge really.  You're a good guy!

Seriously though, will you ever do that again?

Ms Chenandler Bong

I'm so thrilled that you and your wife did this together.  Your wife is a very strong person for getting up off that guardrail, it would have been so easy to quit at that point.   What an unforgettable experience for you two!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Linda

Congratulations to you and your wife!

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Anomalous

Congratulations to you both! Great RR! That was quite the experience it seems.

BTW, you are tall!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

RunnerGalBeth

You both earned a crown on that one.  Way to go!!

outoftheblue

Congratulations to your wife!   You made a great decision to walk with her and give her your support.   Your race report was very interesting and self-aware.  Thanks for sharing.

Life is good.

congrats to you and your wife!