Beginners and Beyond

Learning To Accept Change... (Read 294 times)

Better I Leave

..can be difficult at times, but necessary IMHO. I've had high hopes for attaining a sub 2 hour half this Saturday. Unfortunately, have a muscle strain now and have come down with a rather bad cold. I may have pushed myself too hard in my training and wore myself down. Lesson learned I suppose. I'm still going to participate, but I don't believe I'll attain what I had hoped for given the way I'm currently feeling and I haven't been able train like I should have. I'll do my best given my circumstances and have a good time.

There will be other runs and this isn't the end of the world. I just need to be patient. 

Pinktastic

Sorry, Dave!   It's good to see that you have a great attitude even though you're plans had to change!   Hope you feel better soon!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

..can be difficult at times, but necessary IMHO. I've had high hopes for attaining a sub 2 hour half this Saturday. Unfortunately, have a muscle strain now and have come down with a rather bad cold. I may have pushed myself too hard in my training and wore myself down. Lesson learned I suppose. I'm still going to participate, but I don't believe I'll attain what I had hoped for given the way I'm currently feeling and I haven't been able train like I should have. I'll do my best given my circumstances and have a good time.

There will be other runs and this isn't the end of the world. I just need to be patient. 

You're right, it isn't the end of the world and not the last half marathon that will ever be run.  Keep things in perspective and remember that the only constant thing is change.  Sometimes it's more important on how I act on things, rather than how I react to things.

Have fun this Saturday.

Misty

I'm sorry, that's disappointing Sad. But you just have fun this weekend and you'll get that sub-2:00 when you're feeling better!

Misty

Bless your heart.

paulski66

miscreant

This would seem to have little to do with accepting change.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Better I Leave

Thanks folks. It'll be fun no matter.

Better I Leave

This would seem to have little to do with accepting change.

Thank you for your input. It was most inspiring.

Love the Half

There is a terribly fine line between pushing yourself hard enough to experience serious improvement and pushing yourself too hard.  If anyone ever figures out how to tell if you are crossing that line, they need to write a book and get famous.  Even world class athletes push themselves over the limit.  My only word of caution is to monitor the cold.  If it's just a head cold, then go race and have fun.  If it moves into your chest or if you have a fever, don't  be stupid.  Take a DNS.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

paulski66

miscreant

Thank you for your input. It was most inspiring.

Ok, then, how about this:

Shit happens. Suck it up and go out there and run your best race. It sounds to me like you're making excuses, and setting yourself up for failure. If you tell yourself that you won't hit your goals, then guess what? You won't hit your goals.

A large component of racing is the mental component. Envision yourself crossing the finish line with 1:59:59 showing on the clock. Break down each mile and how you're going to run it-- the pacing, your stride, your form. Picture yourself getting stronger as the race goes on, executing a perfectly-paced race and nailing your goals.

And stop making all of these excuses for why you failed.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Better I Leave

There is a terribly fine line between pushing yourself hard enough to experience serious improvement and pushing yourself too hard.  If anyone ever figures out how to tell if you are crossing that line, they need to write a book and get famous.  Even world class athletes push themselves over the limit.  My only word of caution is to monitor the cold.  If it's just a head cold, then go race and have fun.  If it moves into your chest or if you have a fever, don't  be stupid.  Take a DNS.

True. So far the cold is just my sinuses and making me feel a little "crappy". I'm more concerned about the pain in my groin right now. Not terribly painful, but very uncomfortable at the moment. I really don't know how it happened, but there it was after my last run. I was running harder than I ever had before and I probably shouldn't have tried that just before an upcoming event. I tend to get a little "overzealous" at times...heh.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about your cold and stuff.  Like paulski said, suck it up and run it (at least I thought that's what he meant, LOL).  Do the best you can on race day.  It might not be the sub-2 hour you wanted but it might be the best effort you could muster on race day.  We all have bad races (trust me, I know) but I believe bad races teach us more than the good ones.

Good luck and feel better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

True. So far the cold is just my sinuses and making me feel a little "crappy". I'm more concerned about the pain in my groin right now. Not terribly painful, but very uncomfortable at the moment. I really don't know how it happened, but there it was after my last run. I was running harder than I ever had before and I probably shouldn't have tried that just before an upcoming event. I tend to get a little "overzealous" at times...heh.

Rest - it will help the groin pull and the cold.  

If the cold is just up in your head, and your groin feels okay by Saturday, go ahead and go for it.  I ran my last HM with a bad head cold and got a big PR, even faster than I thought I could do completely healthy!

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Better I Leave

Sorry about your cold and stuff.  Like paulski said, suck it up and run it (at least I thought that's what he meant, LOL).  Do the best you can on race day.  It might not be the sub-2 hour you wanted but it might be the best effort you could muster on race day.  We all have bad races (trust me, I know) but I believe bad races teach us more than the good ones.

Good luck and feel better.

Agreed, and that was my point as well. I'm going to run it...I just "might" not attain the goal I had in mind. Even if I'm limping across the finish line, I'm going to do it. I'm running this event for a cause that I've taken donations for. I'm running for "The Cure Starts Now" foundation as I have a friend who lost her daughter to brain cancer.

I will do my best. Smile