Beginners and Beyond

Mebulous SunDAILIES! (Read 39 times)

MothAudio

Good morning runners! Saturday: 12 miles 1:53:24 - 9:27 avg. pace - 7.5 warm up / impromtu 5k / 1.4 mile cool down. Watching the morning news yesterday I caught the RD of the Columbus Marathon speaking about the expo to kick off the Columbus Marathon in October - free food, raffle, and live music. Then he said Meb Keflezighi was the guest speaker - I'm going.

The wait was long but it was worth it. Saw a bunch of people I knew, chatted with the race director. Spoke to Meb and my son made him laugh. When he spoke about his life and the struggles they endured it only made you respect him even more - not for everything he's accomplished athletically but what he and his family overcame to be successful. Very inspiring.

I asked him how far he ran this morning, he said "12". "Me too" I replied. He recently did the Peachtree 10k but started after all the runners began and passed something like 22,000 for a 38 minute finish. Two things stand out in the photo; my 12 YO is taller than Meb, and he's thinner than me!

The news mentioned a 5k downtown starting in an hour. So I decided to do my usual route and tack on a few extra by jumping in the tailend of the pack. Just looked up the results - I passed 2365 of the 2606 official starters. Too bad they weren't offering a 20k option. Woke up late, run at some point. Run inspired!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

LRB

Meb gets around, nice pics!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, that's very exciting. Good stuff!

- Andrew

happylily

What a fantastic meeting with Meb! You all look like 16 year old young men! Your son has grown so much and has become a fine looking gentleman! And yes, Meb appears so light. He must fly to his finish lines, pushed by the winds! :-) And of course, you look like the same young man I met 6 years ago. You haven't changed a bit, Moth. What a great day you had yesterday. I'm very happy for you. Must have been very inspiring! Thanks for sharing and for starting the dailies!

Morning folks!

I have a LR today. Not sure how long. The plan says 16, but I might do more. Maybe I'll try to make it to 75 miles for the week.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Oh, and before I forget: Zel, we're thinking about you! I think you're running at the moment, so I'm sending you my best vibes for a strong, focused and enjoyable race. You will do great, you've been training like a champ! Go, Zel, go!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

'Morning!  Good stuff, Moth!  I'd have had Med autograph a baseball for me, because why not.

Today will be another multiple workout day.  I'm front-loading my miles this week so I can ease into next weekend a little rested (race Sunday).  So I just did an easy 5.5 mile shakeout while the wife went for a group swim.  I'll join her on her 8+ mile run later, which will give me 14 for the day.  And she may want to go for an easy bike ride later...we'll see.  I hit 55 miles this week.  Very pleased with that.  It's the most since my May marathon and I'll be trending upwards for the next few months.

Have a Sunday!

<3

Good Sunday morning, people!

MothAudio, thank you for starting today's thread. Terrific twelve yesterday. Great run this morning. Love the pics!

Lily, have a pleasant LR.

Phil, enjoy doubling and riding.

Eleven miles on the TM for me.

Zelanie, good luck!!!!!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have my LR tonight as well.  Thinking of 16.  We'll see.

Mike, that is an awesome experience.  Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Thanks for sharing Moth!

I have a 5k this morning.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What up all?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing Moth Smile

Good luck to Zel, I hope she does great.

It was 75 degrees at 4 AM and 89% humidity and a dew point of 70 or 71, it wasn't pleasant but I got through 14 miles with an average pace of 10:19 min/mile pace.

I have come to the decision of cutting down to 5 days a week rather than 6. I kind of knew that going from 4 days to 6 days of running was a bit crazy (for me), especially while training for my first marathon so I am going to have Saturday and Monday off from running, the day before my LR and the day after my LR to recover. Hopefully that will help, I'd rather be overly cautious than wind up with an injury and not be able to run my first marathon. I've noticed during the last two LRs that my quads are sore and my calves ache and are so freaking tight, I might take Dorian hiking on those days and enjoy watching him excel and running. Smile

Hope everyone has a good day.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

I did not know you went from 4 to 6.  That's a huge difference, so yes, go back to 5.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I have a 5k this morning.

Aw shit! 

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Great pics Mike!  What did Meb write on your shirt?  Looks like "Run to lxlin" lol

Go Zel!! 

Some recovery miles on tap as soon as DW gets back from her walk.  Picked up some new shorts at Target yesterday, super bright green, love 'em!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

I have come to the decision of cutting down to 5 days a week rather than 6.

Although I would not do it now (barring injury of course), I ran my first marathon on 5 days a week; Tues, Weds, Thurs, Sat, Sun.

Anyone that has run one will tell you that there are a lot of worse things you can do when training for your first marathon than running five days a week. lol

You can have a decent debut, just be careful not to overdo it on the long runs trying to make up your weekly mileage average, as doing so makes it difficult to recover for the subsequent week of running.

Make the mistake of doing it three or four times in consecutive weeks and the cumulative effect of too many long runs versus weekly mileage will eat you up.

Hi dailies:

Moth - Cool Meb meeting!  Very nice, outrunning most of the official race too.

Rick, Brr - 'morning!

Lily - have a good LR

Baboon - excellent training for you right now, good luck ramping up for the next marathon

Basya - good 11 to/for you

I got in 60 miles last week, so that's progress.  However, most of them were junk miles, hoping that the mystery issue would finally fade away with continued massage and increased usage.  That hasn't been the case, and it's probably time to seek medical advice.