Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 33 times)

LRB

WELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here.

LRB

Supp yo!

I am still having trouble adjusting to the stupid time change, so coffee and the internet is on my immediate schedule...

What about you?

Right there with you rick. This waking up at 4:30am is getting old!

ill be heading to the gym after work and 3 miles on the treadmill.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

meaghansketch

Good morning all!

Fortunately for me I'm in at work today at 6:00, so I can't even complain about the time change.  It actually makes my 4:30 alarm a little easier to deal with.

4 days post-marathon and my quads are still mad at me!  Yoga or rest today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, it's 51 degrees right now and the wind is blowing about 15 mph making it feel like it's in the upper 40s.  For we South Texans, that is COLD. Yes, we are cold-weather wimps.  I changed out my singlet in my gym bag for one of my warmer short-sleeved running shirts for my run/walk after work today.  Will probably do a route around the university campus today, or maybe the Riverwalk.  With this chillier weather, the Riverwalk should not be as busy today and will make for a nice area to run.

I also went a little nutso last night before I went to bed.  Some of my running socks are wearing out, so I bought a few more pairs -  9 pairs! Joking - from my favorite places -  Defeet socks, Gizmo Socks, and tonsofsocks.com.  I like 'design' socks", so that's what I got...stuff like these...

Sock Guy Checkers Socks (Multi Colored)    CoolMax� Howler <br>Performance Socks         Sock Guy One Less Car Socks

and others along that line.   Yeah, I'm getting very 'colorful' in my old running age, lol.

There's a time change, LRB?

Happy tread-milling, Sparker!  How's your weather up there now?

Meaghan, stop by Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc. and pick up some Biofreeze.  Great stuff, will help your quads feel better.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning! SRD.

And I am asleep all day.  Stupid time change.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Good morning to you now!  Just sitting here at my work desk and looking around me, good lord do I have a lot of work piled up, not to mention all the other work that is paperless.  Cripes.  So I guess this is a perfect time to hop on the internet and say HI to my running e-friends.

After my morning run yesterday, I hit the gym at night for a good PT/legs workout.  I am feeling good and strong.  Today's run may be another treadmill session.  Weather is rain and wind.  Hmph.

You all enjoy your Thursday!

<3

meaghansketch

Scott- Thanks for the tip!  Will look for it tonight.

Hip Redux

Morning.  Bailed on a workout last night because I wasn't feeling well.   I am bringing in stuff to run at lunch today (I WILL REMEMBER MY SHOES).

delicate flower

(I WILL REMEMBER MY SHOES).

And shorts, socks, underwear, shirt, water, change of clothes, etc.  MBC has a list you can borrow if you'd like.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is November 7th!   On this day in history:

1637 - Anne Hutchinson, the first female religious leader in the American colonies, was banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony for heresy.

1811 - The Shawnee Indians of chief Tecumseh were defeated by William Henry Harrison at the Battle of Wabash (or (Tippecanoe).

1874 - The Republican party of the U.S. was first symbolized as an elephant in a cartoon by Thomas Nast in Harper's Weekly.

1893 - The state of Colorado granted its women the right to vote.

1917 - Russia's Bolshevik Revolution took place. The provisional government of Alexander Kerensky was overthrown by forces led by Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.

1929 - The Museum of Modern Art in New York City opened to the public.

1965 - The "Pillsbury Dough Boy" debuted in television commercials.  (He recently died....of a yeast infection! Wink)

1973 - New Jersey became the first U.S. state to permit girls to play on Little League baseball teams.

1999 - Tiger Woods became the first golfer since Ben Hogan in 1953 to win four straight tournaments. (After that, he was a 'maid' man Wink)

2000 - Hillary Rodham Clinton made history as the first president's wife to win public office. The state of New York elected her to the U.S. Senate

2004 - War in Iraq: The interim government of Iraq calls for a 60-day "state of emergency" as U.S. forces storm the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.

2012 - Voters in Maine, Maryland and Washington approve measures for same-sex marriage

Today's Holidays

Chocolate With Almonds Day

National Gin Day

Walk To Work Day

Medical Science and Awareness Appreciation Day

almond cartoons, almond cartoon, funny, almond picture, almond pictures, almond image, almond images, almond illustration, almond illustrations

KEYWORD1  2004-10-12  peanut  peanuts  peanut butter  planters  planter's  planter's peanu

gin cartoons, gin cartoon, funny, gin picture, gin pictures, gin image, gin images, gin illustration, gin illustrations

power walking cartoons, power walking cartoon, funny, power walking picture, power walking pictures, power walking image, power walking images, power walking illustration, power walking illustrations

Jogging Cartoon 0865

medical science cartoons, medical science cartoon, funny, medical science picture, medical science pictures, medical science image, medical science images, medical science illustration, medical science illustrations

medical science cartoons, medical science cartoon, funny, medical science picture, medical science pictures, medical science image, medical science images, medical science illustration, medical science illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Good Morning, Friends!!

It was a beautiful, clear 41 degrees when I got to work this morning!   I love this weather!!   It won’t last, but I love it!

LRB – Thanks for starting us off this morning!   When’s your next run?   Have a Pinktacular day!

Sparker – Have a wonderful run after work today!

Meaghan – I’m usually at work before 6 so I know what you mean about the time change not being too impactful.   Hope your quads feel better as the day goes by!

Scotty – I thought of you as I was enjoying my 41 degrees – knew that you’d hate it so I was hoping y’all were warmer down there.   :-)  Cool socks!

Damaris – Have a relaxing SRD today!

Phil – I used to have piles taller than me all over my desk.   But, then they instituted a “clean desk” policy so now all that crap is hidden in filing cabinets.    What I don’t see doesn’t need to be done today…..    ;-)    Enjoy your run later!

Oski – I hope that you’re feeling better today!   A lunchtime run sounds invigorating!   Have fun with it!

I had to bail on my walk last night because I discovered what could be a major problem right at 5:00.   I spent a few hours researching and then sent an e-mail suggesting what we could do to the powers that make those decisions.   Still haven’t heard from them…..    At any rate, by the time I was done it was my bedtime and since I was going to walk this morning, I didn’t want to stay up late.    Naturally, I overslept this morning and didn’t get the walk done.  :-(     Hopefully, this evening will be better than yesterday and I can get it done then.

But first up, a co-worker and I will be delivering Meals on Wheels later this morning.   I find it a little stressful since I don’t know my way around Dallas well, but it’s also enjoyable and fulfilling so it’ll be worthwhile.

Have a Pinktabulous day!!   And, may your next run help you to focus on what’s really important in your life!

-          Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

StepbyStep-SH

Morning, LRB! :slidesovercoffee: We're drinking Cameron's Vanilla Hazelnut this morning - hope you don't mind fru-fru flavors.
                            Sparker - Have a good mill run.
                            Meaghan - I second Scotty's suggestion on the Biofreeze (or I think Wal-Mart has a knock-off called MaxxFreeze, also). And a walk + yoga would probably help, too.
                            Baboon - Good luck tackling the desk(top)!
                            Scotty - I need the link to that chocolate almond cake - NOW! Oh, and I love fun socks, though I don't use them for running. My favorites from SockGuy are "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" with a margarita glass, and brown ones with a coffee cup that say "A morning without coffee is like sleep."
                            D - Have a good day!
                            Oski - Need a reminder? SHOES!
                            Sarah - Hope you get your walk in tonight, and that the "powers that be" appreciate your attentiveness and hard work last night.

For me, I did get up and run 5 of my planned 7 this morning, but I think my half-donation at the blood drive Tuesday is catching up. I was super-sluggish and legs were really heavy, so I decided there was no sense in forcing out the last two miles. I am also going to skip today's strength training class in favor of getting groceries before I completely run out of things I need for DS's lunch box.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

When’s your next run?

I am running every other day until I regain some semblance of confidence so Saturday.  You are right about the weather, hopefully you get your walk in tonight!

Shari, I'll have a sip, only 'cuz it's you!  :-)

Hope your run goes well O!!

Wassup everyone else!

I got out for a quick 2 mile gallop this morning, and miraculously I did not break!  I say gallop because I stupidly spent the bulk of the first mile at a 7:50 pace before finally reigning it in.  It was really difficult to find my easy pace naturally, and I suppose that will continue to be a struggle for me as I ease back into things.

I did feel my SI joint towards the end of the run and afterwards but I am still unsure if I am really feeling it, or if my mind is feeling it.  Whatever the case, it is nice to be back out there gliding amongst traffic in my own little world, even if it was only for 17 minutes.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hell, I have no idea what I am doing today. Dorian has the sniffles and was up all night pissed off that he couldn't breath through his nose, and I think the Vick's Vapor thingy in our room made it worse, it sure gave me a sore throat Angry . I think the little guy and I will be staying home for pretty much most of the day, hopefully he and I can get some much needed rest.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)